cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

"perfect storm" at an airport

SarahP
0 9 13

I was on a business trip last week, my second travel adventure since quitting. As before, I was amazed how much easier it is to travel without the hassles of smoking. I did, however, encounter my inner junkie at a surprising moment, and was reminded just how sneaky and manipulative that little bastard can be.

I had to change planes in Atlanta. Atlanta is one of the few remaining U.S. airports in which you can smoke, in designated “smoking lounges”, one per terminal. I had an hour between flights, and to my delight, I found that the gate I arrived at was right next to my departure gate. The only thing separating them was the smoking lounge. Now, in my smoking days, this would have been HEAVEN. A full 45 minutes to smoke 3, 4, maybe even 5 cigarettes before lining up to board, with no fear of missing my flight, no walking a long distance with my bags, no constant worry about the time. I could get a soda, set up camp in one of the chairs, get out my book, and smoke away the time between flights.

The fondness with which all of this ran through my head really surprised me, and my brain actually formed the thought “too bad I don’t smoke anymore”. That startled me so much, to be face to face with my junkie after so long, that I laughed out loud (thanks Dale).

So what did I do? After I stopped giggling, which I’m sure absolutely infuriated that lousy junkie, I went to my gate, got a soda, set up camp in one of the chairs, got out my book, and relaxed away the time between flights.

It’s that simple. Thinking a thought doesn’t mean you have to act on the thought. Think it, then shrug or laugh or slap yourself or whatever, and move on.

Have a great smoke-free week everyone!

9 Comments
obz900

Haha great post. Thanks for sharing.

Ex_Nancy

Someone here said a while back,"I had a smoking thought, but there was no emotion behind it, it was just a random thought"    I love your blogs...xoxo

tomthetool

That's really surprising that you can smoke in an airport.

I just wrote this morning about how here in PA you have to go into a dive bar (packed with smokers) to get anything less than a case of beer. I really can't stand that law. Even when I smoked, I didn't like going into a bar to get a 6-pack. You REEK when you leave after only two or three minutes...

MarcieWhosoever

oh man I have been to altlanta airport . When my husband goes to Cayman Island to work we stop in Atlanta. Anyways, I know those smoking rooms well! You can actually smell them as your coming up to them. Really I dont think i would have even needed to light a smoke. It was so thick in there I could have cut it with a knife. I remember being actually discusted that I was "one of the smokers" that needed to use that room. My friend woundnt come near it. I kept leaving her to go smoke. Thank God that nonsence is over! 

How you like those trains inside the airport??? Holy Cow hold on tight or your going flying, I had to catch a lady, I guess she didnt believe the signs that said to hold on! LOL

Marcie 301 days into forever!

Madyzsgocka

Lol Marcie.....yup, they take off fast. And yes....that room is quite disgusting. Ever look up at the ceiling? The white tile is brown. I was also acutely ashamed when I used to have to go there to feed my addiction. No More!! yee haw! There's one per terminal Sarah? I thought it only terminal C that had the smoking room. Anyway, it's great not haveing to go there anymore isn't it?

SarahP

Hmmm, I was in C, so you could be right Karen. I do have a vague memory of having to take the train in order to smoke last time I was there; something that would have been impossible with a short layover. So glad I don't have to worry about that anymore! 

MarcieWhosoever

cant remember what terminal i was in but I know on the way there AND on the way back I went to 2 different smoking lounges, plus the bar upstairs permitted smoking, That was a good excuse to hang out and drink beer. teehee

Madyzsgocka

I'm quite certain that there is no smoking in any of the bars anymore, and I always had to go to "C" to smoke. I think they should make the airport 100% no smoking and be done with it. 🙂

la2012

Hey, just reading this!!  I live in Atlanta and yes, have been in the smoking "rooms" many, many times - even declared to all of the other smokers in there- That Atlanta has the best airport in the world!!!  Seems so pitiful now. . . . traveling will be so much easier in the future for me (at other airports) don't have to go thru security several times to go out and smoke, if I have a long time to wait - in Atlanta however, will be different - but will stay away!!! N.O.P.E.