cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

"Phantom Smoke"

Storm.3.1.14
1 9 73

Okay, the weirdest thing happened to me at the beginning of the long holiday weekend: I experienced "phantom smoking". I was sitting at the computer Friday evening when I suddenly smelled a cigarette. It was as if someone was puffing away in the hall. It was so shockingly vivid that I was compelled to get up and look around for a smoking intruder. Having found no nicotine-addicted burglar, I began to imagine that it was a burning clothes dryer, sparking electrical outlet, flaming stove or oven, or a fire in the yard.

Nothing.

It was freaky, for sure, but the worst and cruelest part was that every time I inhaled the "smell", it also "felt" as if I were puffing a menthol cigarette. It...was...that...vivid. It, literally, made me choke, out loud. I even reached up and touched my throat.

Welcome to No Man's Land, home of the Phantom Smoke Mirage! 

It affected me, of course. The sensation was an instantaneous blindside, not the emotional fabrication from an incessant fixation, or urge, or trigger. I was caught by surprise, and the whole process of the episode (smelling it, hunting for trespassers, inspecting the house for fire) was troubling and confusing and weird for about 10 minutes. And, after it was over, I felt much the same way many "smokemare" dreamers did: horrified that I had somehow "smoked"; angry that the addiction's memories still attempt to toy with me; sad that I did this to my poor brain and mind.

But happy that the lesson was learned, and my quit was strengthened by the test.

Saturday (in true Storm fashion), I went hiking through a forest of oak and hickory in order to reach a massive dome of black granite called 40 Acre Rock. Hundreds and hundreds of metric tons of stone under my feet, phantoms vanquished by fresh air, and freedom on the breeze.

Because life (and recovery) does not stop, especially for ghosts.

STORM: 89

9 Comments
annb
Wow that is wild Storm. So glad you chased that ol Nic ghost away! It's bizarre I can smell someone smoking a cig for miles. You might've actually smelled it from outside somewhere!! Good job my friend! Onward we go!!! 🙂
rosemarymom

Oak and Hickory!  How wonderful!  Here there are millions of maple trees.  Other kinds, also, but over run with maples.  They are very pretty in the fall though.   Your quit is strong and true - that was just a passing tornado of the past.  I love your blogs and try to learn all I can from them

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Ah yes, you were visited by the phantom of the mentholiptis minion moon sharpshooters.  They are known to show up unannounced and cause all kinds of havoc if you let them.  They can come in a dream or a vision - they can sprinkle their dust and cause strange odors and sensations to the body.  Thankfully they don't visit often and if they sense that you are vigilant to your quit they cannot reproduce anymore nor can they survive.  The demise is quick and painless....

What goes on in NML stays in NML!!

Jackie

OH Ya Congratulations on 89 days!!!

elvan

Could not help laughing when I read this because I thought I had gone through the same thing for three days in a row and I kept asking my husband if he smelled it.  He did not but, then again, he never smells the litter box either.  The third day it happened I was really annoyed and I went to the window on the side of the house...the next door neighbor had company and someone WAS smoking outside on the front porch so mine was not phantom smoke.  When I started to read your blog, I suspected it was the same thing.  I can honestly say that the smell was WORSE than the litter box and, believe me, with three cats, that's going some.

Can't help envying your hike.  I love the woods and would love to walk in them but I will admit that A) my breathing is still not good enough and B) I am afraid of four things in the woods...people who are weird, spiders who are just waiting to drop down onto me, snakes who are waiting to pop out, and ticks which I do not find until well after walking in the woods.

Glad you had a good experience after the odd one.

Mrs.Rum

I've told you before - some things you can't plan for.  They simply come from nowhere.

I've had the phantom smoke smell, it usually turns out to be brewing coffee!

Rachy2283

Glad I'm not the only one! Totally weirded me out but glad this happened years ago and has happened to others.  Makes me feel a little better who knew...

indingrl

I go through SMELLING smoke too and it has been years as a NON SMOKER - I DO smell cigarette smoke and it is real for ME - I tell MY husband and I came and blog on smelling smoke in MY home - it happens every now and again - your NOT alone MY sweet friend 

Rachy2283

Thank you sis indingrl‌. The mind is tricky

Barbscloud

I still do at times also.

Barb