cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

"I'd Have Another Cigarette but I can't see!"

Breakinchains
0 6 66

Lryics from a song I like. Every time I hear that song I am reminded of an experience I had several years ago when I was in the Navy. Back then (1987) we were not allowed to smoke in Basic Training, except at designated times. I think it was the last week of training. No one in our company of 105 souls had had a smoke for 7 weeks! I don't know why I didn't just quit then, but I was very young, lol. Anyway, take 105 people who smoke, take away their cigs for 7 weeks, then point at a room, tell them they have 10 minutes to go and smoke, and watch what happens. Thinking back on it, I find it amusing, but it wasn't very funny at the time. Guys were quite literally  running over each other to  get to that room.  Within  seconds, all the smokers were in that room lighting up. Many were smoking multiple (I saw one guy with 5!) cigarettes at once. No one was talking, everyone was sucking. It was February in Chicago, so  the windows were closed. Smoke was SO thick you couldn't see across the room. It was like being in a fog. I looked at people's faces. Everyone was on cloud nine. They all had a look on their face like they were stoned. I might as well have been in an opium tent somewhere out in the old west! This was a shocking experience that confirmed to me that I was dealing with a drug. These people looked stoned! Anyway, this was the first time I started to think that maybe this smoking wasn't such  a good deal afterall. Today, it is a reminder to me that, all those years ago, in that smoke-filled room, we let the drug take control. So when I think of this memory from time to time, it serves as a reminder to me to NEVER LET THE DRUG TAKE CONTROL. I AM IN CONTROL.

6 Comments
sfaoro

A similar experience but at an airport.  I don’t recall which one but probably Japan or Taiwan.  What I do remember is a plexiglas room probably 15’ square with those old plastic chairs lining the walls.  Two ash trays so if you wanted to flick the ash other than on the floor then you had to give up your seat.  The place was packed, there were vents but it was still a fog of smoke.  Must have been quite a site from the outside, of course I was in the inside.

keekee

lol for the guy with five at once. he want you guys to know how much he loved smoking.

105 young people running to smoke at the same time with only 10 mins. to finish. it sound like peer pressure and wanting to fit in. wish someone would have gave a lesson on if you when 7wks without smoking you can for the rest of your life.

well you're on the track now with more than a year smoke free!

nosmokegirl

Too funny! That smoke filled room reminds when Atlanta Airport had that fog room. You could not see across the room from all the smoke.

ex-kel

Interesting. Thank you for sharing!

"NEVER LET THE DRUG TAKE CONTROL. I AM IN CONTROL."  I love this statement!

Take care... 😄

i_can_do_this

Sadly, I used to plan my work trips according to which airport had smoking rooms or were easy to get through security so I could smoke on my layovers!

Thomas3.20.2010

Terrific blog, Break!  I can just picture it!  I wonder what Alien Observers would think of THAT scenario! WOW!

About the Author
I quit smoking on March 26th, 2009. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I quit because I began having health issues in my early 40's. I had a TIA and a stroke a few years ago. I work as a home delivery salesperson.