cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

"CRAVINGS"

bean5
1 5 16

I would just like to take a quick minute to analyze those darn "cravings".  To "crave", to desire something--in this case, something that you admittedly say you no longer want in your life.  It reminds me of me as a child, when my parents would tell me that I could NOT have something.  I would want it all the more.  I would often throw a tantrum, but it was futile,  pointless because I still never got whatever "no-no" it was that I wanted.  Sometimes when we think we are denying ourselves something, it makes us "crave" it more.  

As a smoker, I felt like that child many o' times.  I remember as a smoker, when I was in a place where I could not smoke, I would "crave" a "no-no cigarette" all the worse (long flights or long shifts at work were a killer).  I remember as a SMOKER, "craving" a cigarette every 30 to 45 minutes. I remember how irritated, impatient, bitchy, I would get until I was able to get my "fix".  I know as a NON-smoker, I may experience those same "cravings"--some days, just like when I was a smoker, but most days very rarely.  Now, since I quit, those "cravings" are fewer and fewer and less and less intense.  Aside from that occasional "sneak attack" which hits me for hours--BEWARE OF THOSE.

In case I have not yet  made myself clear, I will restate my point in another way.  Those cravings that you have as a smoker--you know the ones that keep you chained to the addiction, those cravings diminish once you quit smoking.  If you stop feeding the beast, it will die.  

Now we are left with the "mental cravings", the ones that have you CONVINCED that you NEED a cigarette.  The ones that make you CRAZY when you are in the worst moments of your quit.  The cravings that talk to you, and try to convince you that you really WANT to be a smoker.  What a crock of poopoo.  If you wanted to be a smoker you wouldn't be here and you wouldn't be cursing those darn "sickorettes" for making you go through this process.  

I think that these "mental cravings" are what make it so hard for people to STAY QUIT.  They involve our  "associations" with smoking, like when we are stressed out, after a hard day of work, daily routines which involve smoking.  This is why it is so important to change our mindset.  Why obssess over wanting something that you truly don't want, and are not going to allow yourself?  That is like a dog chasing its tail.  

Today, I have  new "cravings".  I crave a life free of cigarettes.  I crave a life full of pride in myself.  I crave a life where I NEVER forget how thankful I am to be a NON-SMOKER.  I crave a life where people everywhere become free like me, free of a life of fiending for their next fix.

N.O.P.E

Peace

5 Comments