cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

quitting the "easyway"

penni
0 15 71

my friend loaned me a book by Allen Carr called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking."  i am almost mid-way through it and hadn't smoked since yesterday at 2pm.  smoked after my morning meeting and the book actually suggests you not stop smoking until you've read all the way through.

has anyone else quit using Carr's methods?  what did you learn about yourself when you put them to use?

remember - i use a 12-step program to keep me sober and should employ the same principals "in all my affairs," but this smoking this is a kicker.  i also saved the links to the online smoking cessation.

what has worked for you?

:: disclaimer :: i know without doubt that this is an addiction.  i know i am an addict on many, many levels, but this is my ex-smoking group so i will keep my topic as it relates to smoking cessation/nicotine withdrawal.

thanks for all the support and encouragement i have received thus far.  y'all rock 🙂

15 Comments
maynell

Hi Martha. Welcome. The "Easy Way" by Allen Carr changed my whole perspective about smoking. I now see quitting as a new freedom, rather than a deprivation. I don't know if it will work for you, but I would take time to really think about what he is saying. It was a great tool in helping me stop smoking for good and ever. 

May

jojo29

hi Penni. i havenet reli read any books, i just went threw some things,i did this so far cold turkey, some days are reli ruff mayb thats why i should read more 🙂 good luck to u,stay strong, joanne.

drifter

My natural way of thinking about quitting smoking was to focus on all of the negatives. I couldn't even give accurate weight to the positives because the brainwashing was so internalized. It still is in many ways! Allen Carr uses a technique that we can use in all our affairs. Focusing on our strength and visualizing things coming easily and gracefully for ourselves. I think that the way he puts the information out there is like have a cheerleader who is supporting us right away and I needed that because I was full of doubts. I'm thinkng about reading it again because I'm about to hit 30 days and I've been struggling lately with my thoughts and feelings.

What I have learned about myself is that if I make excuses to smoke, it is easy for me to believe them instantly and start to fail. Allen Carr's book taught me to be aware of that demon and to remember the truth which is that I don't really like smoking, I want to live and that I right now I am free because I dont' use tobacco anymore. I give that all up if I smoke. I also learned that I have to remain diligently mindful to reprogram my brain and my thinking about tobacco. I don't know how long this will take but when I have destructive thoughts I have to combat them immediately or I know that I will head towards the slippery slope of having just one, etc.

I had quit about 7 days when I started reading the book so I too, took a different route and didn't smoke while reading it.

Congratulations on putting the tobacco down yesterday!!!

Mary155

Hi Penni, my very first friend here Debi mentioned this book to me, there was a video on hwc's page and it was a start of an excellent perspective.  Good for you for checking it out, I really think it will be of great benefit to you.  When I came on this site, the enthusiasm alone brought my quit date up 10 days early.  You have some time in now Penni.... 🙂  just thinking...:)

eddieg121

I always say if it works keep doing it. Long as you are not smoking is always a good thing.

Yaya2.6.10

I was a coupla months into the Quit before I read the book.  It provided several "aha" moments to me and allowed me to focus on the positive rather than the negatives.  What particularly helped me was realizing the stress caused by the addiction and need to be focused on the next cig.  I noticed a peacefulness that had not existed before.  I've used 12 steps for codependencey issues for years and think they absolutely apply to the Quit.  However, the Quit has kicked up some old issues which surprised me.

james41

The book actually changed several aspects of my life. Brainwashing made a lot of sense to me. 336 days free.

penni

~~ i am almost mid-way through it and hadn't smoked since yesterday at 2pm.  smoked after my morning meeting and the book actually suggests you not stop smoking until you've read all the way through~~

i needed to clarify:  i hadn't had a smoke since yesterday at 2pm and picked up this morning after my morning meeting.  the instructions in the book said don't stop until you've finished reading.

i've finished reading.

i gave my 17 year old daughter 3 packs of fresh smokes and permission to douse them with water.  just for fun, she added soap, too.

i went outside and put my last smoke to my mouth and put that out at 1:10 p.m.  i am now officially a non-smoker.

i still have the book nearby, totally changed my quit date from december 31st to today and i have an event to go to this afternoon that will be anxiety-provoking for me, but i am still going.  i don't want to smoke any longer.  i am done.

(and yes, i will continue to be honest here.  i need to be, my life depends upon it!)

jojo29

good for u penni. a postitive attitude will bring positive things,  and were all here if u need anything.

maggie_8-1-2010

Way to go Penni!  Remember to drink lots of water and juice - very important in the first days of your quit!  I'm excited for you!  Make sure to come here as often as you need to. ((Hugs))

Mary155

"i don't want to smoke any longer.  i am done."

this could be your mantra Penni!  say this over and over to yourself, I believe you really mean it! and especially over the next few days, you have a lot on your plate this week as well, keep telling yourself this over and over and stay positive, you're onto something really good here!

Strudel

Hip, hip, hooray! That book worked for me - I quit after 40 years.....so, it took a lot to convince me! I loved it. I still have it out and refer to highlighted sections when needed. I did that especially during my first few weeks. You sound great in your comment.  above about getting rid of those three packs. Wat to go!!! Congrats - be sure to stay close. We are here for you!!!

onvacation

I love his book - I keep it near me and made some flash cards to carry with me when I'm feeling weak!

Congrats on your quit!

Kim

laurie37

I'm impressed!!! Good for you! How were you able to change your name here Penni? I want to take the initial from my name.

(((HUGS)))

Laurie

penni
Hey Laurie - I think I went into my preferences and changed it from martha to my given name - trying to be authentic here 🙂