cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

quitting... again...

chehin82
0 9 6

So I've already been through this process before, and even had an account on this site! And even though I have NOT gone back to smoking full time, I still have the occasional cigarette and the past couple of weeks, I've been smoking on a daily basis. I want to nip this in the butt before it gets out of hand.

I HATE the smell of smoke and the way it makes me feel. I don't really know why I started up again. I'm okay for the rest of the night tonight, but I'm afraid of the trigger that my morning coffee will give me tomorrow morning. And when I go to work tomorrow afternoon, I'm hoping that I can stay smoke free since half of my co-workers smoke and lately I'm used to having a cigarette on my way there and then back home. (Driving is also a trigger.)

On Sunday, since I'm off of work, I plan to go to the gym and workout, and usually that will get rid of any desire I have to smoke. I haven't worked out at all for the past month, and usually I workout 5-6 days a week. I think that once I get back on my schedule I will be okay. But I just need to GET back on that schedule and stay smoke free. The last time I quit, which was about 5 years ago, working out played a huge part in helping me stay smoke free.

My biggest triggers are coffee, driving, boredom, and stress or fighting with my boyfriend. My biggest reasons to quit, besides the obvious health related effects, are that my grandma smoked and died of lung cancer, the horrible smell, the way it makes me feel, coughing up nasty stuff, stinking up my car and clothes, having my parents feel disappointed in me... that's all I can think of for now.

A few hours ago, I smoked my LAST CIGARETTE EVER! Here's to giving them up for GOOD.

9 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Your member number indicates you were here before me and I joined this site in August of 2008.

What was the longest period time you actually stopped smoking completely?

JonesCarpeDiem

Drink your coffee with your other hand or in a different place than you normally drinking it and you will signal your brain things are changing..

Success at quitting is being willing and, changing things up is a simple way to let your quit happen without fighting yourself.

My page may be of help to you.

John10forteen

Working out appears to be a genuine joy for you. That's good, you uderstand the slow process of improvement, coviction and health. 

Stay close, read lots, & believe the vision you have for yourself.

Thomas3.20.2010

Social and Closet smoking have their own set of challenges with their own set of "reasons why I smoke!" Here's a blog you might find helpful:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2014/09/17/just-one

Once you know that you have more reasons to stop smoking than to keep smoking you become more willing to go through the arduous process of withdrawal and recovery!

Make no mistake, quitting the occasional smoke is just as challenging as quitting the full blown 2 pack addiction. Youre still an Addict. But you must convince yourself of a simple concept:

N.O.P.E.! Not One Puff EVER!

Bonnie11.3.2009

Remember to make the decision to quit smoking and honor that decision every day!  No will power involved, just the decision and honoring that decision.

For the next 30 days, make your quit your first priority.  Come to EX everyday, read everything you can at whyquit.com and quitsmoking.com and pages of elders here at EX.  So much good material that will seep into your brain and take up the room that the brainwashing from smoking is now fighting for.

NOPE is very powerful and sets the stage for your brain to know you mean business!

When a thought or memory or trigger of smoking occurs, acknowledge that it is your brain wanting it's hit of dopamine and that is to be expected when you quit, BUT......You Don't Do That Anymore.....then decide what you will do instead.  Make a list now of the things you will do instead!!

YoungAtHeart

It might help a bit to remind yourself of what nicotine does to your body and mind.  To that end, it would be great for you to read Allen Carr (again if you did before!):

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Remember to distract through any craves.

You know the drill - now just get to it!  It takes some effort the first couple of weeks - but it is SO worth it.

Nancy

MarilynH

Welcome, hang in, stay close and you can beat this horrid addiction nope.

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome back!!

chehin82

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments and support!! So far today I'm good! I had my coffee, with breakfast instead of before, so that I could keep my mind off of smoking. Soon comes the next test: driving to work and being around smoking co-workers. I think I will be okay, I just hope nothing happens to stress me out.

Jonescarp, I remember you from last time I was on here!! We were friends before, I can't remember my old user name. Glad to see you're still around, you were a big help to me last time.