cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

quitting again starting today

tlcmom
0 11 45

I am going through a really tough time right now, and I do fine without ciggarettes until I have a bad moment. Then I go out and buy some, smoke a few and then throw them away. Then a couple days later I do it again.  I quess I need support-especially when i think things are so bad that I need to buy some. I reset my quit date to today. I know some of you will say to wait to quit, but I really can't because I have heath problems and they make me sicker. Also, if I have them in the house I will smoke them, when I don't have them in the house I do ok. Thank you all for your support!!

11 Comments
karma7777

I understand the first thing i do when i am under stress either bad or even good stress is reach for a cig. i have to figure out whats another method of coping that i could do at that moment. maybe run in place or do jumping jacks to aleviate the craving. But i too am in the beginning stages of health issues and I know that if i dont stop smoking now my health will really be worse.

elvan

Not sure who would say to wait to quit, it wouldn't be me.  I would ask you what you REALLY think you are getting from the cigarettes?  When you feel stressed, does the stress go away when you smoke?  When you are in pain, does the pain go away when you smoke?  When you are angry, does the anger go away when you smoke?  I am pretty sure the answers to all of those questions were no but, if not, then you are the only smoker in the world who really does get relief from cigarettes.  I smoked for 47 years, I quit many times, I had to sit down and make a list of the times that I smoked, the triggers, how I would deal with those triggers in the future and then, most importantly, I had to want the quit and I had to realize that no one could do it for me.  It's not like I was going to get put into a medically induced coma for three weeks or whatever time.  If you want this, it is within your reach.  It is an addiction, it is a disease, just like alcoholism,  heroin addiction, or any other addiction and it is fatal. I wish you peace and success, keep us posted on your progress.

marilyn_marmac

Don't wait to quit! It's been less than a month since you started smoking again! TAKE THOSE CRUTCHES AND TOSS THEM OUT!!! And crutches is exactly the right word. You quit smoking and went almost 100 days without them so you KNOW you can quit. You just have to figure out a way to deal with stress, and there will always be stress in life, using a different method. Spend some time reading the NML blogs and links. Think of things to do instead of pick up a cigarette. And you are right...you need support and we are happy to give it. So...restart your clock, toss the cigs, ashtrays and lighters and lets get started 🙂

cheyenne7

I'm sorry that you are going thru a tough time.....here is hoping that whatever it is smoothes out for you !!

I understand, stress is one of my big triggers too....You can do this, you already did this for 100 days I believe, so you know that you have to climb back on that horse & continue your ride....

Come here often....you will be fine....try to relax as much as possible, and continue your journey....You will feel better --- we are here for you ((((HUGS))))

katjus73

The only thing I can say is that you've got to find something new to reach for when you go through those times.  For whatever reason, we feel like that coffin nail will make us feel better, and chemically, it does things for us because we get "high", but in the long run, it does more bad things for us and we don't feel better or less stressed or any of that.  We lie to ourselves for so long, saying that it helps us when it just hurts, and you've got to replace it.  You've got to change that mindset.  You've got to find something healthy to do what that moment hits.  Find that "thing" that will help you get over the hump.  (HUGS)

JonesCarpeDiem

well, you are torturing yourself stopping and starting the nicotine intake

get a plastic straw cut in thirds or some cinnamon toothpicks as a reminder you've quit

JonesCarpeDiem

keep them handy and use them when you get the urge to go buy a pack

Chris265

Did you read Allen Carr’s book?  When you get a flat tire – the first thing you do is light a cigarette.  You think you feel better, but your tire is still flat.  So what did you really accomplish?  So the next time you have a bad moment – remember that smoking a cigarette will not change or fix anything – so do something else instead.

Michwoman

I would not say to wait at all! DO IT! Life is ALWAYS going to have bad times. Don't use them as an excuse. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE!! I went through hell and back during my first year but I am so glad I don't have to start my quit journey over again.

Read Allen Carr's book, read on the past blogs here.  Heck - read my past blogs and you'll see that smoking is not what anyone needs to get through major tough times.

LouiseR
Make the choice to quit and never look back. It is not easy but is so worth it. We all go through stressful times in our lives but smoking helps or changes nothing. We are here for you. YOU CAN DO IT!
summer-07-06-15

Make a committment to yourself to stop smoking, Not One Puff Ever no matter what. Read www.quitsmokingonline.com Did you do the exercieses on this web site to help prepare for your quit. The more you prepare the better. I understand that you don't want to quit.  You can quit and still prepare for the urges that come when you want to smoke. 

Even if you start smoking again, you can keep reading and preparing for the urges, you are going to have.  Life will aways be stressful for all us!!! And so or later you will have quit because of health concerns.

You can do this