cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

nrt addiction

lucy705
0 7 342

Quit smoking over 2 1/2 years ago...using nicotine lozenges. Now I am addicted to the lozenges...that's why I joined this site for help to quit NRT. These are worse because you can use them anytime and anywhere! I have tried numerous times to quit...but get get very irritable, hysterical, lots of anxiety, can't concentrate, etc. Really want to quit...need some help and support! I set my quit date for June...am I waiting too long? Lots of stress right now...just got laid off from my job...have an interview next week. Should I set a quit date soon or should I wait until after the interview...because I feel like I can't concentrate when I don't have the lozenges...

7 Comments
GreenThumb3

Welcome sorry to hear you got hooked on them but you make a good example that it can happen I know Dale on here has talked about it ,I'm sure more people can give you better advise than me but I would imaging it's the same as quitting any addiction I think I would try sugar free gum and expect first few days to be a little tough but doable 

smorgy8513

I would suggest NOT waiting until June.    For years I didn't quit smoking because I would say "life is too stressful right now".   There will always be stress!  I would guess that you could use the steps outlined on the main page of tracking your use of the lozenges, waiting longer in between use, listing why you want to quit.      Try using something else....gum or Atomic Fireballs (my personal fav when I quit!), Blow Pops.         You will get some support and education from others that have struggled with this......but start on the steps on main page here at the EX!

Stay Strong!

Sharon 256 days of Freedom!

JonesCarpeDiem

I warn everyone who posts they are using a self dosing NRT to be carefrul about getting hooked.

I think it's more common than people realize.

First, how many do you use a day and what strength are they?

JonesCarpeDiem

here is my suggestion since you are between jobs

do your interview and then stop them completely.  the nicotine will be out of your body in three days,

there may be symptons of withdrawal for two to three weeks  but you will be free.

if you cant do that, use the patch and lower the dosage over a month or two

marilyn_marmac
   Hi Lucy! Welcome to Ex! One of the things I did, and I've watched many others do, is try to extend that quit date out as long as we can! Why? Because we are afraid to let go! Since I know this, I would say that "yes" you are waiting to long. You will follow the same guidelines that you would if you were using cigarettes. Just substitute "nicotine lozenge" where you see cigarette. Have you read the information on the Homepage of the BecomeanEx  website  ? If not, please read it. You will find education and attitude will be the key to your success. The links will help you understand the different stages and symptoms you will face, how to get through them and how to re-learn life without the NRT's. I have also listed a few helpful links. And remember, we are here to help you through the process.
   You won' have to conquer some of the things a smoker does, but bottom line, nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction regardless if it comes in the form of a cigarette, cigar, dip, Ecig  , gum, patch or whatever NRT  you may be using.
   Yes and No to the nicotine lozenges being worse and harder to quit. Because they are so user friendly, you probably are using them more and you are probably taking in a lot more nicotine than the average smoker. A word of warning on that..your setting yourself up for stroke, heart damage or possible nicotine poisoning. Not something to take lightly.
   Start your journey by setting a quit date that falls into the expected range listed on the home page. Start cutting back on your Lozenge's. Be mindful of when you are getting an urge and hold off longer each time. Find something to help replace the NRT  lozenge's with. I know you can find different types of candy or cough drops that will have the same feel. You can even find Sugar free lozenges.

When your actual quit date approaches, get rid of ALL your NRT   lozenges! Don't   allow yourself to have even one or the nicotine will stay in your system and you will remain in constant withdrawal.

Prepare yourself mentally. Don't   allow yourself to think negative! If you allow yourself to think you are going to fail, you probably will.

When you have an urge, do something! Don't   allow yourself to continue to think about it and don't   give in to it. The urge WILL PASS! Just fight it while it's there.

Don't   allow yourself to get hungry or thirsty! Drink a glass of water and eat a healthy snack if you feel an urge coming on.

Don't   allow yourself to get overly tired. Your body will actually need more rest as it tries to heal itself from the addiction.

Beware feelings of anger or feeling lonely. Remember, you are not alone! If you feel that you are about to break, come to us FIRST!! Let us help you through it.

marilyn_marmac

I would also like to post a blog that I received on my 1st day on this site. I found it especially helpful. The lady that sent it to me, Nancy - aka Youngatheart, normally greets each new member and provides information. Unfortunately, she is isn't able to blog at this time (Get Well Soon Nancy!) so I'm going to post her message for you.

Marilyn

I spent the first two weeks here reading and learning and traveled many a crave with this as my diversion.....

If you find someone whose advice rings especially true, you can get to their page by clicking on their avatar. Once there, you can read all the blogs they have written by clicking on their avatar and then on "Blogs' on their page.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings. Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone! A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not. Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be: "I want a cigarette. No! But - I WANT a cigarette. NO!" Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette. Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

lucy705

Thank you everyone for responding!  For the people that asked...I am using the 2 mg. lozenges and use about 10-15 a day.  I am still a little confused on how to use this site...