cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

nicotine replacement?

stonecipher
0 12 16

I just started re-reading Allen Carr's book and I am not sure if I should use nicotine replacement, or go with his method and stop nicotine entirely.  Anybody want to weigh in on this issue here?  Thanks.

12 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

i used 10 patches in 14 day and stepped off.

this site stresses nrts and other aids.

personally, i think you can get through three days of withdrawals and move on.

2012_is_for_me

I quit with the mini lozenge, not b/c of it .  I tried all methods before -- cold turkey, wellbutrin, patch, chantix, cold turkey, carr, cold turkey, carr, wellbutrin, and so on.  This quit took b/c I was ready to be done.  It's as simple as that.  Yes, I used the mini lozenge but I think I used that as a crutch for exactly as Tommy pointed out.  If it didn't work out, I had something else to blame, not me, which I see now as so silly.  Yet, as I stepped off on this journey, I knew I was done with smoking.  It wasn't the NRT that made me succeed, it was me and I was ready.  So do what you know will work best for you.  Trust your gut and take that route. 

pir8fan

You will get a mixed response to this one! My personal belief is that cold turkey is the way to go! I believe that the NRT's and other aids gives you a ready made scapegoat for failure! If you smoke you can say the patches did not work, or the gum did not work or........... If you quit cold turkey and you light a cigarette, you have only yourself to blame! You may have guessed that I am big on taking personal responsibility!

That being said: If you must, use medical product to help you! But use them as directed! DO NOT devise your own plan for their use! Follow the directions on the package, to the letter! You would not try to do brain surgery on yourself. Do not try to re-invent the wheel in pharmicology!

I have seen success and failure come from both methods! I do not have a personal axe to grind here! My only goal is to see you quit. Quit by whatever means works for you!

I believe that education and on-going support are the legs upon which strong quits rise and stand! You will find plenty of both here!

ltlme71

i agree with Tommy, i quit cold turkey i wanted the patch but i (like he said) would have blamed the patches, i wouldnt do it any other way the first 2 weeks were pretty tough but now after 6 months of not smoking it was well worth it !!!! 

jojo_2-24-11

Whatever works for you the ending result should be the same, no smoking!

KatherineF

What ever you decide will be right for you.  Your mindset about smoking and quitting are more important than the method.  You can do this.  Decide that no matter what, you will not smoke.  Things get better as time goes by - just keep telling yourself, "It gets better"

Thomas3.20.2010

I'm a CT purist! Get it over with and never go back! 

AnthonyAMorton

I went cold turkey.This method worked for me.

Sootie

Oh we LOVE to weigh in on this one!!!

For myself....I am totally in favor of cold turkey. Why use nicotine to stop using nicotine? I feel people use NRT's because they think that quitting is just too hard and they will not be able to do it without "help." ---THIS IS SO UNTRUE. Yes, it's hard.....but it is not impossible.

However, quitting is the goal....if someone determines they will fail without NRT's then I guess they should use them. Not smoking is what we are all shooting for....I just happen to think cold turkey is the most efficient way.

misty_dawn

Cold turkey was best for me.  Got it over and done with.

ashlynnrose09

Nicotine Replacement all the way!!! I switched to a Volt e-cig and after a pack a day for 7 years, am now smoke free on day 3!! 

dmickow

I started out with the Nicotine Patch.  I used it for the first 16 days of my quit.  Saturday, the 5th, I quit using it.

I now have 3 days without NRT's.  I actually feel better today...the nicotine has almost entirely left my system.  They say approximately 72 hours.

After reading Allan Carr's book....I decided that I just wanted the nicotine, in any way, shape, and form, OUT OF MY SYSTEM!!!

I wish you all the success in your quit!!!!