cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

new member that really needs help

wbryonb
0 17 217

I went to the dr. yesterday{1-22-18}. they did a breathing test because I told him that I woke up choking at night and at times through the day- we thought I had asthma,but after the test-he told me I have the lungs of a 66 year old.I'm 45,and been a smoker since I was 9..the results of that test scared me to death.I know I need to make a change -or die.I instantly thought to myself that I quit right then and there-- that failed-but from a pack and a half a day I've smoked maybe five cigarettes until now- one day later. I feel like I have failed yet again- because I could not simply throw them down. The truth is,for me anyway,no matter how bad I want to quit- I have been smoking so long that I can not beat this in five minutes.I may not beat this in five months-or even five years.the thoughts in my head are these: I have seen people who smoke 50 years that are able to stop. They may not be able to advise me on quitting because each person is different- but maybe they could say the one thing that ,for me helps more than a thousand failed attempts at help. I simply feel that I've smoked long enough now that I do not know any other way , but I hate smoking-I seem confused ,I agree, but I have made up my mind -to stop.I need help with my body as I know it will fight me at every turn to continue life as usual.If any one is able to read this beginning of my blog,that may have some advice,please find a way to contact me 

17 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

"but I have made up my mind"  This is one of the main steps of quitting smoking.  You have come to the right place.  Quitting is a journey not an event, educate yourself and you can win over the addiction. Start here, the journey continues.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters/blog/2018/01/18/is-today-your-quit-date 

Tabbiekat

You truly came to the right place, welcome Read, ask questions, don't jump into quitting as much as you want to I would discourage you from quitting until you educate yourself on the nicotine addiction and quit because you are ready to quit. Cutting back is a very good thing, use that to change up your routine to help ease into your final quit. Break the habit of when you have your first smoke, wait 20 minutes before you have your after meal smoke etc. Decide if using a NRT- nicotine replacement therapy: gum, the patch etc, medications: chantix etc, or cold turkey is going to work best for you. Read and keep reading the blogs, use the search box at top to help find answers and solutions that others used to get through the questions you may have. Keep us close and let us know what we can do to assist you

You can do this

Tabbie

MichelleDiane

Hello wbryonb.  I think it's safe to say that many of us here have said they think it's impossible to quit after smoking for so long.  I know I did, but the truth is that you can do it.  The Elders in this community are incredibly encouraging and knowledgeable.  They share what they have been through and are still going through to help others to have success at their quit, but also to continue living smoke free themselves.  This is a community that gives in so many ways.  You made a great start by coming here today.  Now, just pit one foot in front of the other.  As many people have said, it will get you to where you want to go.  There is life after quitting smoking, but no life if continued.  Welcome to the ex-community and trust in the process.  It works.

-Michelle  

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Did they do a spirometry test?  If not, you should ask for one.  If they did, have you been diagnosed with COPD?  If so, you might search here (magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner) for it.  There is a wealth of information here.

Most of us here were terrified, just like you, to quit.  I won't tell you it's easy, but I think you will find it isn't as bad as you fear.  To begin, it's important for you to educate yourself on this addiction.  Start with the recommendations here:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/109313-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-t....  I recommend you read Allen Carr first.  I think the information he provides will go a long way to allaying your fears.

Stay close to us and ask questions as you have them.  We can help.  You CAN do this!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. There is a saying I've heard, " the hoop you have to jump through is larger  than you think." To quit---for many--- means planning and preparation. Here and elsewhere as you research quitting you will find lots of useful stuff to think about, consider--stuff that will help you get to the point where you are ready to say I'm going to quit, rather than, I don't think I can.

To be warned by a doctor about your lungs, but still believe you must smoke til the day you die, can point to one thing only--addiction. For this addiction there is treatment--community support such as Ex, your Doc, nicotine replacement therapy and medication if you should decide yes to one/or both, possibly meetings in your area. Usually deciding to quit is not done by a blink of the eye, I'm done, but by being thoughtful about it...making your plan based on the best ideas about quitting that you can get on board with. And preparing yourself mentally. 

You can make your quit a lot easier if you look for your positive strengths, call upon them and follow your quit plan. One day at a time is the usually--big picture approach to quitting.

One last word about addiction (by the way, because you started at age 9 does not mean that your brain has been corrupted making it impossible for you to quit), knowing that this is an addiction is so important. Think of all the other things you really enjoy doing, now ask yourself, what among these things that you like to do would you have a true screaming fit about giving up if the doc told you you ought to for your health. If it's chocolate cake, would you cry bloody murder? Would you feel hopeless? Nicotine causes addiction. There is hope and help for you. So get to work and find what fits for you in making your quit become real.

Barb102

Hi I’m a newbie too  I smoked over 40 years since I was really young. I’ve quit a few times but I really believe I can do it this time. Here’s why it’s going to work this time for me. I have this Ex Community that really cares and have all been there nothing you  feel is a surprise to them. They are so supportive , another thing I’m doing this time is not quitting cold turkey. I’m using NRT the patch. My doctor says the success rate is higher with NRT it is working for me Today is day 6!    I crave , I cry,I get headaches , trouble sleeping , concentrating and I get through it You are not alone you have all of us   Newbies will help and the elders are the best 

Barb

wbryonb

I am reading almost all of the comments shared on my behalf-I say almost all in case I may have missed a few.I will admit that I'm scared to peace's to become a non smoker ,because I read somewhere that the definition of cancer is a group of over active cells in the body -this has me worried that as soon as my body begins to repair the damage I've done to it I would be more apt to get cancer.this may sound like an excuse and it may very well be just that.I feel that I'm ready to try to face my fears and give this all that I have to get it done. I thank each of you for your kind words and I'm not really used to this kind of feedback,I'm still at the build confidence part of the plan.I have not really thought much past this part yet but I hope to focus on more soon.

Sandy-9-17-17

Well, I know what ya mean when the doc says something scary like that!  Wow, Lungs of a 66 year old, at 45 years old!  That is what happened to me, slightly different, but scared me none the less!  

You can relearn life without smoking!  If I can.... and the many others on this site have as well, then you can too!  You just need to start setting your self up to succeed!  Because it is doable!  

In my case, "Hi, my name is Sandy" I was told I have spots on my lungs, and I kept coming down with bronchitis, and every time it would be worse, but when I heard spots on my lung?  That was all it took!  I still don't know what's going on with them, but I have quit 4 months now, and it keeps getting easier and easier every day!  There are so many things you can do to succeed, and starting right now, please start reading all the good things that are suggest to you by the Elder's.....

You can do this, and we all want you to succeed.  I don't know much about you, but start looking at all the good reasons you have to quit!  Start a list!  Smoking is a killer, quitting never killed anyone!  

Keep posting, we will all be pulling for you!  You just found a new family right here at EX!

Sandy

Mandolinrain

Much great advice above. Please do the suggested reading above. Read the Allen Carr book. Surf this site and read read read.. Theres much power in the members blogs that will help you on your quit journey. You can do this. Yes, its hard but you have the support of everyone here on this site. Use it

KMC56

It is a very scarry scenario, which all of us have been through.  Deep breats...one day at a time, and stay close to this site.  You'll be AMAZED how successful, and calmer you will become!

~Kathy

wbryonb

I am new here and at the risk of sounding greedy,i will vow to at least attempt to do the things suggested for me- I hope that one day I will be the one giving support to another new member that needs it just as badly as I do now.thank you all for the time that you are giving to me. 

MarilynH

Welcome to the community, we're all here to help you, please do the recommended reading because there's a wealth of information here to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and start living a life of Freedom, quitting smoking is definetly difficult to say the least but very Doable and very worth it to be Free we've all struggled with our quits in the early days and weeks but we stuck with N.O.P.E  - Not One Puff Ever and we did one precious Smokefree Day at a time or hour minute or even one second at a time and each day we got through was another Day WON and we're still stacking up our precious Days Of Freedom, stay close and know that we're here for you and know that you can quit so I hope you'll do the reading and set a quit date for yourself. 

Sootie

wbryonb

Sootie

Sorry about that post with just your name........Technical difficulty!

Almost everyone on this site smoked for many,many years. And we all quit...YOU CAN TOO! Please trust us that it is possible. It is simple but not easy. This means---it's simple----put them down, don't pick them up again. That's simple but not easy. We are all here to help you and will be with you every step of the way. We aren't experts and we all have had somewhat different journeys through quitting........but we will support you and understand what you are going through. Just do one day.....and then do another and another and another. That is really how it happens. The more time you have as a non smoker....the more that becomes your new normal. Don't freak yourself out with thoughts of cancer or anything else. Wait until you see how FANTASTIC you feel when you really quit. you will wonder why you did not do this years before.

Now, you are correct that you can't kick a 40 year addiction in one week. You have to hang in there and give it time. I am sure you have done difficult things in your 49 years....this is just one more you are going to get through. Come to this site as often as you can......blog, comment on blogs or just read. Be a a part of this quitting community. In addition to coming here....I suggest going to whyquit.com and reading the articles on there. There is one for everything you can think of and then more........What will I do about stress? What will I do about boredom? Doesn't smoking keep me calm?

You can do this. YOU CAN.

By the way------don't worry about replying to everyone who responds to your blogs.....you'll never be able to keep up! The support on here is incredible WELCOME TO EX....we are all here for each other.

Stay Strong.

Lonita

I read your blog and I know exactly how you feel.  I tried quitting so many times and failed but I kept on trying I finally did quit 7 years ago.  It wasn't easy but I did it with friends on ex and reading Allen Carr and Whyquit.com.  I also talk to my doctor was another reason I succeeded with this quit.  I did everything possible to protect my quit because I knew I couldn't just have one it must be Not One Puff Ever.  I put quotes all around me, Drank water, showers. I had to relearn to live without smoking.  You may go through heck quitting but I promise it's worth it.  Your freedom to enjoy your life.  Not only your saving your life you will also be saving money.  With that money buy you a happy.  Nothing expensive just something that will help remember how you bought it and how happy it will make you. I don't miss smoking and I cannot stand to be around others smoking not because I want one it's because they STINK.  I am being honest with you.  When I quit I had one carton of Marlboro Reds in the back floorboard.  It's was my decision to quit and about 5 months later I gave that carton away. That was my method to help me quit.  I also quit by one minute at a time to 30 minutes at a time.

Everyone quit is different but the results are the same you will have your freedom back.  I am here if you want to talk. I wish you strength with your quit.

Lonita

Barb102

This is such a great comment it helped me too. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Lonita

You're welcome. You need help I'm here for you.