cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

new here any help

hotones49
0 7 1

ive stoped be fore but  can never stick with it  im an old truck driver  did smoke 3 packs a day for a few years now  im down to a pack a day  after health issuses no trying to just stop all to gether tried the elect the patch all that  any help

7 Comments
Joan_01-02-2015

A lot of the people on here will be able to give you much more advice than I can, but sounds like by cutting down that is a start.  My smoking cessation counselor also recommended switching to a lower nicotine brand one to two weeks before quitting, changing habits, no more smoking in the car, but I could when I got to my destination, no more smoking first thing in the morning - would give myself 15 - 20 minutes and then decide if I really needed one - only smoked outside anyway, so she had me sit on the bottom of the steps instead of in my favorite chair - they were little changes, but they made my quit so much easier.  I have never tried the patch to do dermal allergies I have, but Chantix worked this time for me......................I know there are a lot of side effects people talk about, but even my 78 year old dad with COPD and emphysema was finally able to quit using Chantix and an antidepressant.  I wish you the best, and keep asking questions - reading, breathing, and believing!!  Blessings - Joan

hotones49

thank for advise and ill try all that  thanks very much

YoungAtHeart

The most important thing for you to do is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body.  Start out by reading Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking."  Here is a free PDF link to it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Also check out this site, whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com.  

You might want to speak with your family doctor about what quit smoking aid might work best for you. 

Once you have done the reading, check back with us and we will help you get ready to prepare for and set your quit date.

You CAN do this!  I smoked for 40+ years, never tried to quit before, and with the help of Chantix, my commitment and this community, I have now been smoke-free for 8 1/2 months!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

I_am_free

You have come to the right place for support through your journey of becoming smoke free for life.  Once you have made this decision and stick to it, benefits abound from all directions.  Congrats on taking this first step of making contact.

Michwoman

First of all - you've made big strides to cut down the way you have. As a truck driver, I realize that reading a book may not be a practical thing for you. Allen Carr's book is EXCELLENT if you can read it. If you can't - just remember the evil cigarette is NOT your friend. It's just a way for the big tobacco companies to make money on our addictions. Don't let them take control of YOU. They take your money and laugh while you smoke and cough and slowly destroy your body.

This is a great place to come for refuge and comfort. You can do this. You can't let this dang stupid cigarette keep you in chains!

Strudel

I agree with Nancy - read, read, read!! I used Carr's book and http://quitsmokingonline.com/ 

Welcome to the site! 

lois2

Welcome to the site, this is a great support site,  read about nicitine addiction, fine out what your triggers are. you can do this.