cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

let's take the mystery out of quitting and quit aids

JonesCarpeDiem
3 12 149

the urge to smoke. let's break it down without the intended sales pitch.

The ad for the patch claims the patch helps prevent the urge to smoke.       

[I used the patch. I used it before I learned one thing about quitting smoking. I used it because of the advertising and the claims made. The second week I forgot to wear it two days in a row. and realized I didn't need it any longer.        
I didn't join a quit smoking website or learn anything about quitting smoking until after I had stopp         ed using the patch.]      

So what exactly is an urge?       
urge: A strong desire or impulse      
desire:        a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen.    
       impulse:      a sudden strong and unreflective urge or desire to act..   
      compulsion:     an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way, especially against one's conscious wishes.  
     So I have to ask, do you believe the urge to smoke   driven more by nicotine or simply the repetitiveness of smoking? 

I believe nicotine drives us to smoke while we are using it due to the physical addiction.
I believe the thought of smoking after someone has quit for a period of time comes from memories and emotions connected to the repetitiveness of our daily routine for the many years we smoked.
   If an urge is a thought. A nicotine patch will not stop anyone from thinking of smoking.
   So in actuality, the patch only helps with the physical addiction. The thinking of smoking must be unlearned.
   The repetition of smoking is unlearned by making new memories that don't include smoking or the motions of smoking.
   Time is what puts distance between you and smoking, but, you have to allow it.
   Common sense beats a manufacturers intent to sell their product if you simply take the time to analyze it.
   Once you break it down, there is no overthinking of some mystery that doesn't exist.
   There is no more "I used the patch, the lozenges, the gum, an ecig AND NOTHING WORKED FOR ME."
   Stop telling yourself you need to smoke. That is the real problem and solution of quitting successfully.
12 Comments
PennyLynn7407

I agree. Nicotine patches are only helpful with the physical withdrawal symptoms. I am on the patch, but the patch will not quit for me! It cannot help me unlearn the thinking patterns associated with smoking. ! I have to work a heck of a lot harder than the patch does and pray a whole lot if I want to keep my quit. SINAO. Thanks for the reminder!

crazymama_Lori

In my case the patch worked wonders as I was learning about my addiction and growing in my knowledge and understanding.  

paulh

Thanks Dale. Remindes me of a book I was reading last year called "Unhooked". The Dr. was telling a story of a time he was at a dinner party. An overweight man was sitting next to him and knew who he was. The man said to the Dr., I have tried everything to loose weight and nothing worked. The Dr. looked at him and said " have you tried suffering". That made me laugh.

elvan

One day at a time, one memory at a time.

NewMe

I'll put my two cents worth in, as well. I used the patch this time, and I did get off of it a week or two early. For reasons that might take too long to explain, I needed that extra boost in the beginning. I had tried and failed twice that month to quit cold turkey. While I was on the patch, I started doing tons of reading, and then that gave me the strength to carry on. I think that, for some people, as long as you understand that the aids must be disposed of at a point and that what really is necessary is a new attitude, then using some sort of aid, in the beginning, is acceptable.

james41

Good  info Dale. You know I've always said NRT is like putting out fire with gasoline

freeneasy

When you quit smoking just like most other things in life you're either your own worst enemy or your own best friend.

shashort

My plan when I quit was use chantix and nicotine gum.  On quit day when I chewed a piece of nicotine gum it made my heart race and didn't like the feeling it gave me.  So its chantix, sugar fee gum and mints for me.  So far working on day 5 of freedom.  Thanks Dale for the info and actually glad the nicotine gum didn't work and won't have to wean from them too.

Mallory99

Good advice Dale!  Best to avoid all NRT if you can, but if you need that bit of help, the patch is the way to go. What really does the trick is changing your mindset. Allen Carr’s book Easyway to Quit really helped me see all the lies I was telling myself about why I smoked. On day 9 of my quit and I feel great. Fifty year+ smoker, many previous failed attempts, never went so easy.

Barbscloud

@Mallory99 There's no reason to avoid NRT.  It's it aid that has helped many people in this world quit smoking, including many people on this site.

Aids are aids, you still have to do the work.

Barb

biscuit9

@Mallory99  Congratulations on 9 days of freedom from nicotine!  You made it through hell week, and that is no easy feat.  I read Allen Carr's book, just after I quit, and it helped my attitude "you are not giving up anything"!  I chose not to use an nrt, so I have no idea about them, except they do help people quit.  I am truly happy for you, breaking the cycle is not easy, but it is DOABLE, with some work.  Quit day 253 and I encourage you. You will be at TWO digits in your quit tomorrow.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

There are many different paths people take to quit. FDA-approved quit medication has been proven safe and effective at helping many tobacco users reach their quitting goals.

EX has lots of resources available to learn more about quit medications, how they work, and how to use them. Check out https://www.becomeanex.org/quit-medication-basics/ as a good first page.

Here in the EX Community, our Mayo Clinic team has blogged extensively about medication, and you may want to check those posts out for more information, too. This post is a good starting point: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Mayo-Clinic-Blog/Navigating-Nicotine-Replacement-What-are-the-...

- Megan, EX Team

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.