cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

lay off

karma7777
0 11 16

So a few months ago i was notified by my company that our dept was getting laid off in late may. well today I was notified that it was going to be my last day there. I was aware we may get a early notice and I am actually happy since i will be able to spend time at home with the kids but I have had a bad craving all afternoon. I cant shake it. im not going to smoke but its just not going away. im going to fight this though im not giving in. you see i always smoked when upset, sad, or even happy or even when i was bored. so this situation is full of so many emotions. I was with the company for a lot of years... so this is a huge change in my life. HUGE  when i got home I was so off that i had to go out and run around the block. like i said i knew this was coming but just still a little suprised with the news. 

11 Comments
cheyenne7

That is definitely a lot of different emotions....

Happy, sad, change, excited, surprised.....and more...

Smoking was always our "go to" as people say....so no surprise that you would crave....

Just think of how much stronger your quit is going to be by you not smoking.....your quit is getting a super boost, it will be much stronger as long as you don't smoke....which I know you won't....I'm soooo proud of you!!!

New doors shall open.....whatever they may be, they will be better as a nonsmoker!!

Strudel

I am so sorry about your job. I'm glad though that you recognize some good in it - in terms of more time with your kids. However, it is a huge change...... Congrats on your quit and on protecting it during this tough time! Running around the block was a great idea! Do that, yell, cry, take a hot bath, - do anything...just don't smoke! You have made the commitment and you have quit - honor that! You will be so glad you stuck with it! (If you need some reenforcement - check the free course at http://quitsmokingonline.com/ - read through the 10 lessons if you haven't already! I learned so much there....plus it will give you a focus in the next few days! You can do this! Again - I am so sorry.....

indingrl

i am so very sorry for your JOB loss♥YOU ARE DOING FANTASTIC BLOGGING FIRST AND RUNNING AROUND BLOCK♥Thank you for sharing with ME i just been really emotional too and reasons are TONS yet i have not taken ONE PUFF OVER ME and i came here to just to HELP SOME ONE TO STAY QUIT NO MATTER WHAT♥ and God blessed ME with you karma7777♥Thanks for helping ME TO STAY QUIT WITH YOU AND TOGETHER WE CAN REMAIN AND HELP THE NEXT SUFFERING NICOTINE ADDICT TO BELIEVE AN HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE STRENGTH AND HOPE TO BLOG BLOG BLOG BEFORE WE TAKE THAT FIRST PUFF OVER OURSELVES AND FOR ME IN JESUS CHRIST NAME AMEN AND AMEN♥

moody_9-18-13

I am sorry you are going through this. I do know how you feel.

There are few things more stressful than losing a job, but smoking will not change a thing.  When you think about it, smoking really was our "reward" for everything good that happened in life and our "friend" when we were sad or hurting inside. 

I am finding I no longer feel the need to keep my emotions bottled up since I quit smoking. When we talk of the freedom we gain, I include the emotional freedom along with the freedom from the physical act of getting our nicotine fix all day long.

I am glad that you have thought through your former relationship with cigarettes and I believe you will protect your quit. Hang in there, better days are ahead.

Magstoyou

I am sorry about your job andgood to see that you are using your tools to not smoke. I know it is hard, but good job. I don't know how old your kids are, but maybe if you can get in a relaxing bath or a meditation tape alone and also what helped me was deep breathing.

You will find another job when you are ready and stay strong!!

Mag279

karma7777

thanks everyone for your encouragement. Its been a day of so many emotions..... Im really trying to stay positive and stay focused on not smoking. I almost caved today but I kept fighting and praying and running lol 

GreenThumb3

Good job not smoking hang in there 

meme21

So VERY sorry about the loss of your job, but I commend you on the fact that you are looking for the "good" in a bad situation! I believe this is going to turn around for the better in your life, and down the road you'll see it at the "best" thing possible, even though right now it's still in iffy status.

It's that strength you're showing that will continue to protect your quit....I'm proud of you for that and I hope I can do the same when trama hits my base.

Stay with us. Stay strong & keep the faith!

Meme (3/24/14:)

Michwoman

When one door closes another soon opens. I've learned that by living through many situations like yours. You're doing great - stay strong. Something great is coming your way!

green1611

Brave heart, keep it up. Its sad to hear, but very proud of you since you are NOT smoking. Realising it is hard time, please check again and again why you quit smoking, why, why and why. It will give you the answer, and you can co-relate it.

If you are firm, craving will remain cravings and will go. but by any chance you try to go with cravings, it will never stop. I know you won't go to light a ciggarette.

Blessing in disguise, you come out with it, and with new doors opening, you will have further more happy days without smoke.

Day147

annb
Full of admiration and pride for you not smoking despite the difficult time and your positive attitude. It will reward you in countless ways!