cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

irrational emotions

veganex
0 8 22

I dont know if this has anything to do with quitting...

This morning I had a semi important meeting at school with the director of the program im in.  There were all these little irritations and frustrations.  But what maybe should have been minor issues feels like its blowing up inside of me.  I was able to kind of swallow back all my tears until I got home.  But now I can't stop crying.

Even though I know it wont solve anything and after 41/2 days it would probably give me a headache and make me sick I still have this feeling like going out to smoke would make things better.

Rationally I know thats not true.  I guess I need to just keep reminding myself of that until it passes.

This irrational burst of emotion was just so unexpected.  Breaking down into huge sobs because he didnt say the perfect thing?  really?  Im almost never this bad!

Writing this has at least slowed it down and gotten me a little bit calmer, so thanks for listening.

8 Comments
onedayatatime2

All I can say is that I have been very teary lately as well.  From about day 4-7.  I think it is normal.  Detoxing?  Maybe some "old timers" will chime in.

jawidge

You might be saying good bye to something that you "thought" was your friend.  Emotional distress is not unusual. I would not be concerned unless it continues for days, then I might see a doctor.  Smoking was a dopamine releaser. Try taking walks, or mild exercise to genenrate a sense of well being.    Smoking would only make you feel and smell like doo doo.   It gets better... I promise

veganex

Thanks for the thoughts.  Its good to know that this is at least not totally unusual.  But I will keep an eye on it in case it gets worse or sticks around too long.  Thanks jawidge.

rose18

I can relate to this Veganex..There is a blog that I wrote on that day,it was like the forth or fifth day,it started off over a simple cup of coffee and the fact that sugar and cream were a trigger for me and I wanted it and felt deprived that I couldn't have it in my coffee,but all that day I was so emotional...cried all day..Now that hasn't happened since and I am headed for day nine of my quit,but am not saying it won't happen again. I believe it's part of the grieving process we go through during detox..Hang right in there,Im certainly feeling for ya,kick...scream....stomp....fall to your knees and bawl,whatever it takes to keep from taking that puff........You have the strength within you..

rickc2

I agree with Jawidge. If it continues see a doctor. But try to get back to the root trigger. Each day those little nicotine receptors get to be fewer and fewer.

But seriously, see a doctor if it continues.

Also, i broke down and cried on day 3 just fyi! It happens to most of us.

laurie37

Smoking and quitting smoking effect our hormones. That's why it's often more difficult for women to quit. But it's doable! And your hormones will level out soon. 🙂

(((HUGS)))

Strudel

Congrats on 4 days! I agree - being emotional is normal at this point. Try to think of some things to pamper yourself! Take care!

lynette3

Ahh, sweetie, we promise it gets better.

This too shall pass.

Holding you in light....