cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

introducing myself

frog6
0 7 12

hello everyone, I joined yesterday evening and today is my first day without a smoke; I am looking at the blogs and realize there are others just like me, trying to stop this bad habit; ya'll comments encourage me to keeping trying because all the hard work will pay off hopefully soon; love ya'll and God bless us; thank you

7 Comments
Jules7

Hey Frog. Welcome. We do have a good time around here and there is tons of inspiration to be found. Someone will show up any second and post all the go to blogs to get you started.

frog6

thank you, Jules

marilyn_marmac

Hi Frog! You are correct, encouragment and inspiration is what makes this site the best! Everyone on this site has already went through the withdrawals and emotions or, like youself, they are starting the journey. I'm on day 36 and the EX community has been like a family I didn't know I had. The links that you will receive will be important as will your determination and attitude.  In my short time here, I've realized the people that keep a positive attitude about themselves and their quit are the most successful. Being able to blog our feelings/emotions, good or bad, helps too. There is always someone out there that seems to say just the right thing to keep you strong.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

You've got some catching up to do - but I promise it willl be well worth your  time.  I also found this site after I had quit, and used the readings as crave busters! 

The most important thing you can do is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version or it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

sharon110

Welcome!!!! 

Day 60 today for me. It gets easier, it really does. Hang in there!!!

jensteff

Congratulations on your decision to quit. I'm only on day 2, but very familiar with this site and the readings. I love it and hope you do too. The support is valuable. The readings are helpful and you can always refer back to them. 

kjvenegas

Hey Frog, great job!!  I'm glad you joined.  I'm on day 35 & agree with Sharon, hang in there it does get easier!  Keep up the great work 🙂