cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

i feel like a broken record...

karma7777
0 13 51

why??? because im always quiting. I come on here say im going to quit, quit then fall right back to the same routine. I am not going to be hard on my self nor allow negativity about my last attempts to sabatoge this quit. Tomorrow I will be waking up and I will not smoke. I will drink water all day long and I will go up and down the steps at work dring my breaks instead of going for a smoke break. I have my tea tree chewing sticks, my gum and my NRT. This time I have to try the NRT along with everything else. My chest hurts, my throat hurts, I have high cholesterol  I am overweight and am going through a lot of stress in my life. I am a prime candidate for bad health and this is changing now!!  But I am prepared for this. I have been praying and praying to have strength and will power to get over this addiction. I know for some the NRT is just prolonging your addiction but I believe for me it will help.

13 Comments
annb
Hi Karma! Yes you know you can do it when you really have had "enough"! What are Tea Tree chewing sticks? That sounds like something I need! At one point my little dog's rawhide sticks were looking real good!! I hope that this will be your forever quit this time and you will be feeling better and happier every day!!
rosemarymom

The hardest part is just jumping in and doing it!  This site is just wonderful for helping you quit.  Read all you can and keep coming on.  You can do it!!!

karma7777

yes im going to have to stay on this site and read and stay focused. I have no choice at this point in my life. I feel so unhealthy 😞

marilyn_marmac

Each person has to find what works for them, however, as you read the blogs of the long-term quitters on this site, you will find a few common threads that helped them quit and stay quit.

Education - Read the links on the home page and the links that have been provided. Knowing what to expect, what is happening to your body and why. The best ways to move past that point and help yourself is the most important thing you can do for yourself.

Find what triggers your urges and find a way to relearn your life without cigarettes.

GET RID OF ALL CIGARETTES, ASHTRAYS, LIGHTERS!! If they are there, you WILL use them.

Keep a positive attitude and believe in yourself. Your thought process must be one of winning. Don't allow negative thoughts of "I'm a failure or I can't do this!" Tell yourself "I am stronger than I think and I WILL DO THIS! If you want to quit, you can quit.

Understand that nicotine addiction is no different than heroin addiction, crack addiction or any other type of drug addiction, with the exception that Nicotine is legal, and withdrawals will happen. You have to stand strong and not give in to it.

Quitting is simple, just say NO and don't use it! At the same time, you have to say NO even when your brain and body are crying out for more. YOU and ONLY you can say NO.

I'm going to share a blog that I received the 1st day I came to this site. The lady that sent it to me, Nancy - aka Youngatheart, is a very wise woman and the tips she sent me helped me get through the hardest part of my quit. I hope they help you as well.

Marilyn

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I spent the first two weeks here reading and learning and traveled many a crave with this as my diversion.....

If you find someone whose advice rings especially true, you can get to their page by clicking on their avatar. Once there, you can read all the blogs they have written by clicking on their avatar and then on "Blogs' on their page.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings. Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone! A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not. Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be: "I want a cigarette. No! But - I WANT a cigarette. NO!" Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette. Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

This attitude is one of recovery and will take you on the path of healing

JonesCarpeDiem

You didn't mention what NRT you are using. If its the gum or the lozenge, be caref8ul you don't get addicted to it.

To do this, you figure out how many cigarettes you were smoking and count each one as 1mg of nicotine delivered. Get a daily total.

Then you figure out how much nicotine you will be getting with the NRT and stay inline with what you were getting and try to lower it.

All the NRT does is take the edge off so you can unlearn the habit part for a time. It will not do any more than that.

karma7777

Thanks guys appreciate your input

the NRT I will be using is the nicotrol inhaler.

elvan

Karma, please read and educate yourself on this as an addiction...have you noticed that if you smoke in public these days, you basically get just about the same looks from people as someone using a needle to inject would get?  Parents shield their childrens' eyes, people glare at you for polluting THEIR air.  Honestly, I paid attention to that and it really started to get to me.  I do not want to do something that is so openly suicidal and expect people to smile at me.  I smoked for 47 years, my forever quit just began on January 19th so I am hardly an elder (unless you could elderly).  This site is a lifesaver. You CAN do this.  

karma7777

that is so  true smoking is rightfully so stigmatized. its banned in so many places. and not the COOL thing to do at all.

cheyenne7

I've quit many times....I hated having to tell myself, here we go again....so I hear ya....

I use this to my benefit thou....one of the things I tell myself when I want to cave is that I will have to prepare to quit again; that I will have to tell myself--here we go again.....it has detered me from picking up more than once...

Whatever you do---don't beat yourself up, it is an addiction, and sometimes this is what it takes to get there.....

You sound like you have had it with smoking.....that you are truly done with them....that is awesome....follow what the elders prescribe, they can guide you down the right road...YOU CAN DO THIS : )

karma7777

Yes I have had it... thanks I wil try to use that mentality as well cause it does take a lot of mental preperation as well.

Michwoman

Commit and decide you are going to put up with some discomfort at the beginning. Each time you feel weak, just say "I do not smoke any more". That helped me a great deal - along with all the reading and, of course, this site.

Take control of this addiction and overcome it! Keep moving forward always!!

lucy705

Be very careful with the NRT...I used it to quit and haven't smoked in over 2 1/2  years.  I am on here now because I am still addicted to the nicotine lozenges.  I would never have quit without the lozenges...but now I can't quit using them.  I have just changed the way I get my nicotine...so if you use NRT...be careful!

Giulia

If you're a broken record then you need to get past the bad groove.  Why aren't you going to be hard on yourself?  It is OK with you that you've failed so many times in the past?  Seems to me if you're NOT hard on yourself then you'll just allow yourself another failure and be stuck in the same groove agan, no?  Prayer is one in.  Taking ACTION is another.  Commitment is your strength.  Strong preparation and it's practice is your strength.  Acting upon what you wish to achieve is your strength.  Quitting is a PRACTICE, not a wish, a hope, nor simply a desire.  Quitting takes action.  And continuous action.  You won't make it unless you're willing to commit for the long haul.  Are you?  Answer that question in your deepest self in an affirmative and you will jump over the groove.