cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

i am new to this site and would love support

wiggy
0 10 147

hi i am trying this again. i quit about 2 years ago for about  18 months and just wanted that ONE cigarette. well...it didnt take long before i was right back to the same ol' habit.

it really pissed me off because it took so much hard work to quit and to stay quit and only took one minute to be right back where i started!

anyway i am ready to quit again. started quitting on monday dec. 28 and already had a slip. i cant seem to shake the voices and the excuses to have that one cig!

im not familiar with this site or how it works and would appreciate any help.

10 Comments
curtis

Just keep coming on the site. I tried to quit in June of 2008. Made it for 8 weeks and then was out doing what I call a Vegas day-Drinking, gambling, and eating good food. Talked to a nice lady and when she lit up I was done.

Anyway I went at it again last March. I went through my health insurance. Went on the patch and went to meetings every Friday. I didn't even make it through the second stage of the patches. I kept foregetting to put them on and gave back my extras. It's been over 9 months now-smoke free. I've been working out very regularly. I actually started before I quit, that way I hit the ground running(haha) after that last cig. A schedule change at work caused me to miss the meetings. I haven't been in 6 months, but thery a lot helped with the early biggest hurdle. I didn't want to go to that meeting and tell them people that I slipped.

By the way, everyone in the group, which was led by a licensed therapist, was on the drug Chantix. Most of the group was having good results.

Anyway, Research shows it takes most people an average 7 times attempted to quit. So keep trying and deal with it early one craving at a time.

I still think about one once in awhile, I just mentally brush it aside and the thoughts gone

Good Luck

Hope this helps

Curtis

wiggy

thanks curtis

congrats to you

i am using the patches because that seemed to work the last time and it DOES take the edge off but find when im idle doing nothing thats when i tend to lose it!

keep up your hard work too

perfectblend

Exactly!! I'm fine if I'm moving, but the moment I sit still....I get as testy as a shaken soda can 😕

ohiosheltielady

Hello, welcome and good luck!  When I was new to the site I tried the forums but there wasn't nearly as much live activity in the forums as this blog.  So I read the blogs and I commented and then I started writing blogs.  I realized that my blog stayed on my profile where I could read it again and again, to look back and see how I was doing.  Then I started reading other people's blogs and their profiles and made friends.  I've only been here one month, but have made some wonderful friends who keep in touch and leave messages on my profile.  Open up your profile a bit and get more involved.  And good luck!

ohiosheltielady

Correction:  I've only been quit one month, but I've been a member here a little longer.  Anyhow, no matter, just get involved and read other people's experiences and you'll soon be encouraging others saying good luck, you can do it, I've been quit a whole month now.  🙂

Kim93

Hey Wiggy.  Regarding your idle times, I got a post who told me they carry a tennis ball around for indoors  or have a basketball for outdoors and that it helps with the fidgeting.  I thought that was interesting as it gets you to change your venue and go outdoors and concentrate on something else - hand/eye coordination and all.  Keep that patch on!!!  It helps me take the edge off too.  I've got six weeks in on Sunday....whew!  You're doing great!

patrick-marsh

welcome you can do it just dont give up!have you tryed any patch or chantix or gum? try every thing till you get it. i know how you feel! as quit then sliped then back to smokeing but been off from nov 30th so far so good . but it scared me when doc put me on oxgen at night!know if keep smokeing wont be long before all the time!as have copd. but know you can do it!

all-good.

well you're doing the right thing with reaching out, there are lots of people here who can give that. I think it's best here because everybody else knows exactly what you're going through, so when you say something you don't sound crazy because we've all been through or are going through it. But everyone's different so post some more and hopefully we can help! good luck!

mary-raday

Reading these stories gives me hope,all of you should be proud,if not for just the attempt alone takes courage, keep  up the amazing good work, HAPPY SMOKELESS NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

luvdogs51

you have my support,as does everyone else on this site.i'm quitting in one hr 45 mins. witht the help of nicotine gum,candy,suckers,twizzlers,carrots,celery,& this site.i live alone & am on disability with not much to do,but this is not going to stop me from quitting.good luck & God bless us all !!  we can do it !!