cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

help with stress

2012_is_for_me
0 5 15

This is not a plea to help me not smoke.  This is for advice on how to deal with stress when all of my other methods are gone.  Before 106 days ago, I smoked to relieve stress.  I also played tennis.  It helped  quite a bit.  Then I thankfully quit smoking and adding running to the mix to help me deal with stress.  Running and tennis just about did in my knee and I've been sidelined from both for about the past 6 weeks.  So issues at work heated up and I found myself with no physical outlet.  I didn't go back to smoking and I don't want to.  while I've gained some weight, I don't really focus on that aspect at the moment.  I realized last week as I could barely open my mouth from TMJ pain, that I'm really not releasing my stress in any measurable way right now (yes, have a night gaurd).  Then this weekend, I came down with shingles.  Ugh.  My body is revolting in ways I don't want it to but I can't seem to stop it.  I don't have the luxury of stopping life's stressors and know I can only change myself in how I react to them.  However, the only two ways I knew how to do it are not an option and the shite just keeps piling up.  I'm not worried about smoking as I have no urge to do it, but I just don't know what else I can do at this juncture.  I've tried staying home from work, can't do yoga now b/c of knee, fall asleep meditating, don't care for chocolate, can't hike, etc.  I don't mean to be a downer, but I'm at a loss in how I can relieve stress right now.  I would love to hear suggestions.  Thanks. 

5 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

MUSIC

IF YOU WANT I CAN GIVE YOU SOME SUGGESTIONS

LOOK UP YOUR FAVORITE SONGS ON YOUTUBE AND PLAY THEM SO YOU CAN REALLY HEAR THEM

lee76

Hm, thats tough since it seems like you're more geared towards relieving your stress in physical ways. Maybe, if you can manage it, do some stretching every now and then or some arm exercises since you're knee is bothering you. Also, something I've heard about a lot on here is tapping. Here's a youtube link sort of explaining it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4EDgTc0AyQ

I've never really tried it myself but some people on here swear by it, and it's also slightly physical, so that might make sense for you.

Besides that, you sort of have to figure out what works best for you I suppose. Sometimes people rip up a bunch of paper (sounds sort of childish, but I dont think anything should be labeled as such when it comes to trying to relieve stress), some people scream into a pillow, some people will just get themselves outside and take some deep breaths, some people will take a really cool or a really warm shower, some people will remember to do a few little positive things for themselves every day, etc. It all depends really on what suits you and your needs. It's always hard suggesting things for people because I think people respond to relaxation and stress relief therapies differently based on what emotional need they're requiring.

aztec

When I first decided to quit smoking again my Doctor told me about a craft called Tapping

I got three books on it and finally found the pioneer who discovered it and his stuff is the best.

The book is called 'TAPPING THE HEALER WITHIN'

Using Thought Field Therapy to Instantly Conquer your Fears, anxieties, addiction and Emotional distress.

ROGER CALLAHAN PHD.

I tapped for getting rid of the addiction to smoking and other stuff came up and I tapped for that too. It works, You can find many testimonials on the internet.

It works on the emotinal body through the meridians and pressure points. You don't have to undertand it to use it.

It worked for me and continues to , it's well worth 17 dollars for the book, you can use it for all kinds of things, everything you can think of. Happy Tapping

check out video at tapping.com

work great for stress, just get into the habit of doing it, there are videos for sepcific things on tapping.com and you can watch the first one and learn it then follow along on the longer routines.

It helped me with quitting, anxiety and a long depression, just snapped me right out of it.

hope ths helps, it's helped others here too.

meditation always worked for me too.

I would do some yoga to a chakra balancing cd by steven halpern. called Chakra suite. then after my yoga i would meditate. Great stuff, Meditate on love or G-d.

2012_is_for_me

Thank you all.   Just looked up the book and I can download to Kindle.  Will start it this week. 

Breakinchains

Swimming. If you can get to a pool someplace, swimming is great exercise and it's easy on the joints.