cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

hello again

hnolan
0 6 6

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I think I'll be using this site a lot. I am a closet smoker because it's not acceptable behavior for a teacher to smoke. My close friends smoke, as does my husband, but I'm far enough away geographically from a lot of my family to keep it from them. I have a lot of shame about being a smoker. I only smoke at home and in my car, never in public places. I have gotten to the point where I just want to be at home all of the time so I can smoke. I am losing productivity at work because I don't want to stay after my students leave and put in the

time. This makes me feel ineffective and adds to the shame. It's time for me to quit once. And for all. I plan to use a nicotine patch which I already have on hand and start this Monday morning to become a healthier, happier, and more productive me.

6 Comments
djmurray

I can attest to the fact that coming back here often is the best support you can possibly get for a successful quit.  I really hope you've at least started reading the Allen Carr book we talked about yesterday -- it will help you understand that we are giving up NOTHING when we quit, and we are not deprived.  We don't have to envy smokers because they have to smoke.  We don't.  I was a heavy smoker for 53 years and that book changed my life, because for the first time I can really see that to mope over not having a cigarette is crazy!! 

So glad you're here!

sparky26

Hello and welcome , I am very intrigued by people who hide the fact that they smoke , I've learned there are more than I would have ever guessed. Well , any how . We are glad you are here , do the homework  LoL , clean out your car , make it smell all clean . If you need it , help can be found here. Congratulations on your decision to quit.

JonesCarpeDiem

my page may be of help to you. if you click on my cat, he will take you there.

Junior7

Welcome!  So glad you are here!

Minx

Welcome!  We should start a secret smoker rehab club or something!  I am a newbie around here too - day 19 of no secret smoking here!  I have a couple blogs about secret smoking if you want to check them out on my page - you are NOT alone!

I am just starting to realise how debilitating secret smoking has been to my quality of life and I am surprised that I am going to have to relearn how to get back to the person I was before.  I could use someone like you who knows about the struggle first hand to lean on.  I would like to offer to do the same for you.

There are so many helpful resources available through this site that you should take full advantage of - as a teacher you know that everyone has their own learning style - read up and find out what will work for you!  The most valuable resource I have found though is the community here.  

Blog to celebrate, blog to inspire, blog to vent, blog to cry for help.  The community is on the journey with you and no matter what ups and downs we face, we will succeed together!

Looking forward to following your journey! 🙂

YoungAtHeart

Secret or not, we are all nicotine addicts.  You probably spent more time trying to keep it secret than you did smoking.  BUT if you educate yourself about this addiction by doing the recommended reading, you will find all of us spent the time thinking about the next cigarette.  The effects of smoking a cigarette are very short lived, so almost as soon as you finish one, your brain is gearing up to demand the next one.  In that respect, we really are all alike - really!

PLEASE do the reading.  Doesn't take that long, but it will inform your quit and up your chances of success!

Nancy