cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

guilt

melsue
0 11 13

I wish I could be stronger then I am , admitting weakness is hard . I know I hate the feeling . I know some disagree with how it's all in my head and your probably right . But I think with the search I've done my choice is the patch . I have never tried anything but cold turkey but high hopes of it helpng me on my freedom . 

11 Comments
cookie804

I quit with the patches. They are great. Be sure and wear them and step down like they say.

Storm.3.1.14

You've never tried anything but cold turkey, and it has never worked for you. You said so yourself, right here. And we have witnessed your struggles here. So, it's time to try something ELSE. If that means patches, then try them. Use them strictly as directed, for only as long as they are recommended, and see what results you have. 

Anything is better than failing again. Or struggling.

newlife5

a wise peson told me once well, what ae yo gonna do differently this time?

i quit with the patch... its a tool and it helps you get through the withdrawl period...but it isnt gonna quit for you...you have to  do the work... those withdraws came be very hard to get through...some people get canker sores in their mouths some get muscle spasms in their back,,,some got chest pains,.. the patch helps with those discomforts...it eases you off the nicotine...so you dont have to suffer intensly....

it worked for me!!!

Jennifer-Quit

No shame in using the patch - I used it for 6 weeks.  It does not quit for you but does take the edge off of the withdrawals.  I am now at 204 days without a cigarette - if I can do it, you can too!

JonesCarpeDiem

all the patch can do is give you some time to learn how to counteract the urges and psychological habit part of smoking while not going through nicotine withdrawal at the same time.

If you use the patch, realize that you are still going to get the urge to smoke. That's the memories of  smoking poking you. So, in effect you have to know the patch is giving you the nicotine and overcome those mental urges to smoke.

Once you have a handle on those urges (not necessarily full control) and see the truth and logic behind how they work you will be able to take control.

I used them my first two weeks and when I forgot to use them two days in a row I asked myself if I really needed to keep using them.

I stopped using them but I put one in my wallet as an out if I became overcome with the urge to smoke and I  promised myself I would put on the patch and wait an hour before a cigarette touched my lips. It stayed in my wallet my entire first year.

Making agreements with yourself can be very powerful if you make them plausible  alternatives and not impossible tasks.

I joined my first quit smoking site the next day  to learn coping skills without nicotine.

That was nearly 8 years ago.

PS on my third day quit, I learned to laugh myself every time I got the urge to smoke. After a week, I was thinking about laughing instead of smoking when I got a memory that I wanted to smoke.

melsue

Thank you all! I'm going to start my patch Sunday .. I know it still will be a journey , but I think it's going to help me , maybe more mind control thinking that but I'm going to succeed .

Mrs.Rum

I used the cinnamon nicotine gum and when I wanted to wean I switched to cinnamon Trident.  It worked. for me.

Deena-A-Yenni

I used the patch as well.  I have many many quits behind me but I'm on my forever quit now thankfully.  I used the patch until I felt confident in myself for handling triggers.  Education is key to any quit.  Read as much as you can!!

YoungAtHeart

PLEASE do the recommended reading!  It makes such a difference when you know your enemy and what to expect!  Nothing can quit FOR you.  Understanding what is going on at various stages is essential for success, I think.

Nancy

Junior7

You can do this!  If the  patch helps you, that's great!  But remember you are in control of your quit!

Thomas3.20.2010

Please use the patch! We will be here to support you! There is nothing to feel guilty about using the patch. Yes, it still has Nicotine but the delivery system doesn't go directly into your lungs through the blood stream and hit your brain in 6 seconds flat. It is a very safe quit smoking tool AS LONG AS you closely follow the directions! 

Please accompany it with the readings suggested! hey will inform you about Nicotine Addiction and Recovery but they will also retrain your brain which was hyjacked by ADDICTION! Also use the support right here! WE ALL want you to SUCCEED! We can help if you feel weak and want some encouragement and feedback! There is no shame in asking for help! I did it myself just a few months back and I'll do it again if I think I need it!

Nobody has to come here perfect and bring on the perfect quit! We're in this together!