cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

frustrated

cece4569
0 8 16

28 hours smoke free...I know I should be jumping for joy but I feel like I want to rip my hair out!!! UHHH Needed to vent for a second.

8 Comments
stonecipher

Yep.  Those first few days are tough.  But they are do-able.  And over so soon. 

Take some time to look at the old blogs of the Ex-ers here.  You will see how their first days were, and how quickly the frustration turned to a more calm, happy attitude.

Have you done any of the reading suggested here?  If you go to my page, in the big section you will see some links to very helpful material.  And some advice as well.

Turn this frustration into positive action.

Above all--do not smoke.  It will get better.  And soon.

Ladybug--7-3-12

Hi Cece --

I see two blogs posted -- one says you are 28 hours smoke free & one says you are "just cutting down" and setting a quit date.  Your page is not filled out with general smoking info. about you that would be helpful.  

Was your quit date yesterday?  Are you using any NRT or other aids (ie Chantix, Wellbutrin)?  How long did you smoke & how much?   Have you educated yourself on nicotine addiction, put together a quit kit (to include distractions to get through the first 3 days to 3 weeks)?  Have you tried to quit before?  Etc.

Just trying to find out where you are in the process.  Quitting is totally doable. 

Patty @ 539 days smoke free

cece4569

I set a quit date for January 3rd but for right now I am working toward quitting and getting ready. Normally, I smoke a pack a day and and on stressful days 1 and a half. The past couple of days I have been cutting down to about 5 and going as long as I can without smoking. I have read a lot of information on here about quitting. I have been chewing gum, have a stress ball, a bottle of water around me, and informed my family that I am quitting. Now that I am trying to quit it seems as if think about smoking 24/7. That voice of addiction tells me that I am crazy to think that I could be strong enough to quit and get through this. Lately, I am trying to get through every hour without smoking but it's still difficult. Also,  I am still learning how to blog on here and update my information. I will have that finished soon.

candylance

If I'm strong enough to qyit so are you. I smoked for 54 years, and I'm still sticking to my guns. It's a relief when your quit date comes. You have FREEDOM at long last. Sick with Ladybug!! She's the one who got me thru those tought days!! I'm here today protecting my quit because of her. Best wishes on your journey of self discovery................

Candy      d104

Ladybug--7-3-12

OK -- I sent you links to educate yourself on nicotine addiction & to understand what it has done to your body & mind.   I also explained to you in detail why cutting down to 5 cigs from a pack to a pack & a half a day is NOT the way to go about "preparing to quit" & why.  I  explained the purpose of  "mini-quits" & described how to go about doing them as part of the preparation before your Quit Date. The more you understand & prepare the easier it will be to "ride the waves" to your freedom from smoking.           

JonesCarpeDiem

When you get down to 5 or less a day, you throw yourself into withdrawl.

That's when you quit completely and get through the 72 hours without nicotine (cold turkey) or you quit and use an aid until you've learned you don't need it anymore

Giulia

You've been given some excellent advice above.  And you appear to be preparing well.   Nine more days 'til your official "quit day."  Stick close, keep reading and fortifying your mind with positives.  When the "I can't" thoughts come in, nudge them aside (or SHOVE them aside!  lol)  and replace with the "I CAN!"  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you eventually will get where you want to go.  

virginia23

I tried this last year around this time and just couldn't do it but I really want to quit for my health and also because I am the only one in my social groups that smokes.  We go to lunch or events and I am the only one longing for it to be over so I can light up. I tried the gum and still use it. Problem is I chew the gum between cigarettes! I smoke about a pack a day and can't seem to get past that first cup of coffee without one. My poor husband doesn't smoke and has suffered thru me and my son smoking in the house. My son said he'll quit if I do but we seem to just fuel each other with passing cigaretts back and forth. I've used the electronic substitutes but they don't last very long. I'm open to any suggestions or encourament anyone can offer.