Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

feeling lost

cindy186
0 8 50

hi I'm Cindy

Quit date is 25 Aug. Previously July 3rd but didn't meet that target date. Have been addicted to cigarettes longer than I was addicted to anything in my life and that has been a few things. Tobacco is that last addiction I have to overcome. Been a smoker for 46 years, been sober for almost three years, widow since 2008 after 37 years with my spouse and 2 years sober. Retired after 20 years in 2007 and estranged somewhat from my drinking son who has yet to be able to deal with the loss of his father.

Not very successful in focusing on a new life purpose although have a direction with a significant other of the last two years. Feeling very much alone much of the time. Not much stimulation from the 'real/outside' world do I allow/partici[pate in.

Thrilled to have joined this sight and very glad to know there is support from those who have been there. Much appreciation to the powers that be who created this opportunity for all of us here. 

Some might think addiction is addiction and if you can overcome one (if overcome is appropriate) you should be able to apply that to another but I don't find that to be the case.

8 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do to start is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version or it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, do the tracking and separation exercises, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

After you have completed the readings, it will be time to make your quit plan, including what quit aid , if any, you will use, and the crave busters you think will work for you. Then you can approach your quit day with a plan in place.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

rizza

HI Cindy!

I am so glad that you found this site! I am a very very new person here, and I am on my 11th day of not smoking, sooooooo , yes I know and everyone who smokes and wants to stop knows, where you are, because that is where they are or where they have been!

And again, I am new here, but from what I read on  this site, you are in good hands! 

I am not an addiction expert, but I know that you, me and all of us, can beat this addiction.  

There is apparently good reading material on beating this and I am sure that the long time members here, wil guide you in the right direction.

So cheer up, life is good, and is about to get better on August 25TH.  

Deena-A-Yenni

Welcome!  According to my Psychiatrist you did right by eliminating the other addictions prior to quitting smoking.  Now that you've got them out of the way you can concentrate on your quit to smoking cigarettes.  You've come to the right spot.  There's a lot of expertise advice here and the elders will provide you with it just like Youngatheart did.  I'm only 80 days into my quit but I feel like you.  Kinda blue.  They tell me that that will go away in time.  I'm waiting and wish you the best on your quit.

Nyima_1.6.13

Welcome to the community! Read up on the addiction .. it certainly has some similar characteristics to other addictions but it also has it's own unique difficulties! The more you know what to expect, the better you will manage! Congratulations on your decision to quit.

mel_74

Hello Cindy Welcome!  Read, Read, Read and read some more.  Learn your enemy.  The more you educate yourself about the nicodemon the better off you will be.  Everyone here has been so helpful and supportive to me.  You can do this!!

Mel Day 52

Maryjo1953

Hello Cindy, welcome & good luck with you quit date.  Glad you found this site, I visit  the site at least twice a day and read all the blogs.  Read all you can.  Hang in there and come back for support.

joyeuxencore

Hello and welcome! It may be different HOW we deal with giving up various addictions but one thing is the same…We must RE-LEARN LIFE without that addiction…

It takes the mindset that we aren't giving up anything...we are doing it because we want to and not signing up for a lifetime of deprivation but a lifetime of freedom...that is the personal journey we must take...We will be here for you every step of the way! xo

"YOU are worth SO MUCH MORE than a cigarette" xo

You need  a 'quit kit' composed of a list of distraction techniques and things to help you through like cinnamon sticks, crunchy things (carrots, celery, chips some hard candy, lots of water), lemons…biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer and taking a deep breath gets you through.

http://quitsmokingonline.com/

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html          

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_21_blood_sugar.html

joyeuxencore

Also have you begun the prep to quit exercises here on the EX homepage??? xo