cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

day of quiting smoking 12/23/16

royhowesjr
0 11 79

tommorows the big day been smoking for almost 33 yrs.i have a real hard time to breath so i feel its time to kick this nasty habbit once and for all.

11 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

To begin, let me dispel the notion that smoking is a habit!  In fact, it is an addiction, which is why it is not so easy to simply stop.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. Spend the rest of today doing the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

c2q

You are right. It is time. Write more in your blog or post on some one's message board if you need anything or have a question.

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX, you have come o the right place. How have you been preparing yourself for your quit date. Do you have a plan.  ARe you going to use NRT's etc? 

Silverstar

Hi, Roy, Welcome to EX.  This is a very supportive community, with a lot of good advice that has helped so many of us Quit.  It really is helpful to work this site, do the recommended reading, develop a plan, create a Quit Kit (things to do when you have cravings), visit blogs and write your own, etc.  Nancy - Youngatheart - has provided a great introductory post above. 

Commit to yourself to Not Smoke, No Matter What, you have power over this addiction, and we all want you to succeed and take back your life and lead a Free one instead!

Let us know how you do on your Quit Date, and Don't Quit On Your Quit!

exbeantown

Hi Roy - It is the perfect time to quit! Tomorrow, start a new chapter in your life and never look back. I quit when I couldn't breath running up the stairs to go to bed. Now I am running up both flights in my house without even thinking about it. Believe me, you came to the right place. This was mentioned already but I found "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" very helpful. I read it a number of times to help me remember why I was quiting. So, definitely read  Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”.

Stay strong my friend. Freedom is a wonderful thing to have.

Jay

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten some wonderful advice...please do the reading.  Remember that we are here for you.

TerrieQuit

Hello, Roy and Welcome to EX! 

We are so glad you are here! This is a great place to quit smoking. You have been given links to great information and good advice above. Please do the suggested readings. Education, willingness to do whatever it takes not to smoke, determination and commitment are the keys to a successful quit!

I would like to recommend a group called The Daily Pledge Group. It's fun and will help reinforce your commitment not to smoke!

Just click on the link below (we are on page 5) and scroll down and take the person's hand before you and promise not to smoke, and then offer your free hand to the next pledge, we keep each other strong in our quits! You can state your # of days, post a picture or whatever you want! This is your quit be proud of it! Please join us!

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/forum/topic/9954541/celebrate-the-holidays-and-celebrate-your-qui...

This link is also on my page and is also a featured group on our home page! Also, if you would like to join the group use this link and as you scroll down look to the left, there is a place that says join the group.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/daily-pledge

Hope to see you there!    Terrie

Don't Quit on your Quit!

If you have any trouble getting into the group, just let me know and I'll try to help!

Summer-Rain

Hi Roy,

Your breathing will get much better once you have a few smokefree days under your belt.  You can do this!  Just think, If you are committed to never smoking again you will be celebrating 1 year of being smokefree!!!  Stay close to this site and blog and read everything that you can.  We are here to help and support you.  Happy Holidays

The journey continues

stAn3

Wishing you well. You can do this!

Strudel

Welcome to the site! You are in the right place - for sure! Be sure to read book and info mentioned above. I smoked ofr 40 years and I did it - so, I know you can too! Stick around - the support here will make a huge difference! Congrats on your great decision to quit! 

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Welcome to the EXcommunity. You can do this!!!