cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

day 4

lee-lee2
0 7 10

So, I just wanted to say...i really dont know what else I would do with myself if i couldnt come to this site and look thru the blogs, post one or 2 of my own and comment on others.  It REALLY helps having (virtual) support..and just reading how others are on the very same journet AWAY from Nicdemon!! we are all going thru diiferent specifics, but we all share one commonality...not wanting to smoke anymore.  And 'meeting' here when the goin gets a bit rough..well....thats made SOOOO much of a difference to me.  I quit cold turkey...without any seperation excerszes..and i have to make my weekly one hour/each way drive in the morning....im a bit nervous to drive for that long.  Just gonna keep my coffee in my hand and try to focus on driving thats it! but im a lil anxious...as driving n smokin was def something that went hand in hand for me...time to face the demon!!! Bring it on!!! Looks like ill be snacking the whole way down...better than smokin huh? pumpkin donuts n pumpkin coffee..mmmm

7 Comments
bella65
Ha that was definitely my problem driving always had to have a cig it does get easier i kept candy in my car to hard candy and had my coffee this site has helped me in more ways then I can imagine to. You are doing great oh make sure you have water handy to:)
SkyGirl

lee lee, I know what you mean!  I'm on Day Twelve, which I NEVER thought I'd get to, but here I AM!   If I hadn't had this site to keep going to, to keep reading, to keep asking for help on the bad days, and to get some high-fives on the okay days, I'd have thrown myself under a bus, for sure.

About that drive with the coffee... if you associate smoking with that coffee drink while you drive, then please substitute some other beverage, just to break the pattern for a few days.  Don't tempt the NicoDemon more than necessary.  Prepare for the fact that you'll want something to chew on, munch on, bite on during that drive.  Take gum, mints, lemon slices, almonds, jelly beans, celery sticks, sticks of cinnamon, licorice, whatever it takes to keep your hands, mouth and brain off of smoking during your drive.  If you don't prepare yourself with some armor, you won't be able to fight off the enemy during the drive.  (oooh, that was so deep, eh? lol)

Good luck during your drive tomorrow.  DO NOT have cigarettes in the car with you.  And I can't wait to hear from you tomorrow to hear how great you did without smoking during your drive!

Jordan-11-1-12

I know how you feel... reading and blogging here is amazingly helpful! I added a cinimin stick to my coffee grounds when I made a pot this morning, and the slightly different flavor helped. Maybe change coffee flavor a bit might be less of a trigger for you, too? Mocha flavored take-out coffee worked well for me, too, since it went well with the pepermint i was always sucking on. Good Luck!

Junior7

Driving was one of my biggest smoking triggers, too.  Sky Girl is right--  Take gum, mints, lemon slices, almonds, jelly beans, celery sticks, sticks of cinnamon, licorice, whatever it takes to keep busy.  Some people even cut up straws to chew on.  I know you can do this--I was driving home tonight and I realized I was driving and not wanting to smoke.  You can do this!    Congrats on day 4!

karen-lane

congrats, u can do it, day 4, really great

YoungAtHeart

Congrats on FOUR days.  You probably didn't go four hours before unless you were asleep!

Let us know how your drive went - and what worked for you.  It will help others struggling with or dreading just that.  I kept a cooler with cold bottles of water and sippped on that.  Worked well for me.

lee-lee2

Thanks all!!! I did it! I managed the drive without even really thinking about cigs at all...luckilly coffee n cigs stopped going hand in hand a long time ago..when I had my first child and stopped smoking in the house...but I am feeling more confident with every day that passes!!!