cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

crabby, crabby, crabby, depressed and restless

michelle198
0 6 18

I am trying to break my triggers with the instant gratification so, I figured the best was to separate them is to not do the things I used to do when I smoke.  I figured it would be a good idea to let my trigger ride for awhile and then go outside to have my cigarette.  That way, no cigarettes with coffee or cooking or doing laundry or watching tv. What has happened is, I have went from smoking two packs a day to 10 cigarettes a day which I did NOT want to happen.  I will be going on the patch and right now I'm enduring withdrawals and frustration because I don't have the patch yet because my quit date isn't until June 1st.  So, how am I suppose to do this, I think to myself.  Should I continue to smoke like I did, inside the house while doing laundry or whatever but make myself WAIT for the cigarette?  I am NOT going outside 40 times a day to have a cigarette until I get my patch...I am wondering what to do...  

6 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

why have you cut down to the point of being in widrawal before you've even quit?

you should be able to get down to 5 cigarettes a day right before you quit but you should do it gradually and you should never feel like you're in withdrawal.

the 21mg patch is equal to the nicotine you would actually get by smoking a pack. so, you're going to be getting more than what you are getting from the 10 you are smoking now.

don't panic

SkyGirl

Hi, Michelle!  Have you done the recommended reading yet?  Start with Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking".  Someone can post a link here for you if you just post a blog asking for the link.  Also, please go to whyquit.com and read an article called, "Nicotine Addiction 101".  Finally, have you done the Tracking exercise here on the EX site?  There is also a Separation exercise here on EX.  It's really, really, really important to thoroughly understand nicotine addiction (and the way it drives you crazy!) BEFORE you start your Quit.  That's because, if you don't understand WHY you are physically craving a cigarette when you are first going without them, then you will be far more likely to think you "need" a cigarette and that the whole thing is just too hard to accomplish.  Which is NOT true.  You can do this, Michelle.  But you need to prepare properly.

I think you are doing the right thing in changing up your smoking routine, delaying, and not automatically lighting up when you usually do.  That's the first step to finding a new way to eventually live without cigarettes.

I cannot answer questions about the patch and how it relates to delaying/reducing your smoking before your Quit Date.  I quit cold turkey.  I was willing to have a little harder time during the first few days in order to get through the withdrawal time faster.  To me, it's the difference between ripping a band-aid off quickly as opposed to peeling it off slowly.  But you have to do what you believe will work for you. 

Congratulations, Michelle, on choosing to quit.  You will never ever regret quitting.

Sky

YoungAtHeart

Here's the link to Allen Carr:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

This is an easy, entertaining read that contains a wealth of good information on what nicotine does to your body nd mind.  I highly recommend you start it right NOW!

I think you are going after this a little too fast.  It is good to change things up when you quit - like drink your coffee with your other hand.....rearrange the furniture where you used to smoke.  The idea for now is just to put each cigarette off just a bit so you understand that just because you want to smoke doesn't mean you NEED to.  The idea is NOT to quit before your quit date!  

AFTER your quit, it will important to distract yourself when a craving hits ---- which means maybe go for a brisk walk after you put the wash in, doing a few jumping jacks on the porch, playing a computer game, doing a crossword puzzle, etc.  You don't do that NOW, though!

I hope this explanation helps.  Let me know if not!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

michelle198

All of the advice you guys gave me made me feel sooo good!!  Today, I cleaned out both of my clothes closets, packed up 4 hefty bag of clothes I don't really like, did all my laundry, did TWO jigsaw puzzles, cleaned out my hall closets.  Yesterday, I rearranged my furniture, packed away the throw rugs I had been using, pulled out some throw rugs I haven't used since last year, vacuumed all the bedrooms and my office, did the dishes (twice) and dusted.

Seriously, I was going crazy.  I am going to take everyone's advice and just calm down.  Switch up my routine a little, put off a cigarette for a little while, etc.

I am also going to spend more time reading the articles that you all recommended tomorrow.  sighhhh.  I feel better already.

Dakota_Posse

Hi Michelle!

Welcome to the EXsite......you are going to call this place "home" and you are going to live on here.....that's good and it will help you!  We've ALL been where you are right now and we understand.  Please keep us updated and please read the Allen Carr book.....it will provide you with the mindset and determination you need in order to beat the nicodemon.  Also, if you are ready and want to quit then do it now....you don't need to wait until June 1st.  If you are ready to get the monkey off your back, let's do it!!!!!  We would ALL love to help you:)!

Cindy

joyeuxencore

Hey Michelle...When I found the site I set my quit date for 5 days later and granted I got a bit panicky on the day but had made friends here on EX and was reading Allan Carr and especially quitsmokingonline.com and thought "Oh hell...might as well..." 185 days later all I can think is why did I wait SO LONG!!! Jump in...you seem ready...xo

http://whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_Index_03_Quitting_Smoking.html