Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

chris148 Archived Profile

chris148
0 0 4

Description

I am 54 yrs old and took my first puff on a cigarette when I was 12!  I started to smoke as much as I could when I was 15 and continued to do so even when I was pregnant with my son when I was 19.  I didn't smoke as much when I was pregnant with my twin daughters when I was 23 - but I still smoked!

I quit once when I was around 28 or 29 - for 16 months!  All I know is that I went out with friends and drank too much and then found a pack in my purse the next day - that was it!  I tried to quit 2 times since then - to no avail....but I did talk about it often enough! 🙂

My children are grown and I have 5 beautiful grandchildren who love me dearly.  A few months ago, one of my 5 yr old granddaughters said to me that she wishes I would quit smoking!  Now I NEVER smoked in front of any of them!  I was so shocked when she said that to me! I smiled and said I will... someday.

Well, you think that this would make me run right out and quit - but it didn't  - I couldn't imagine giving up one of my "best friends" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not even for my sweet grandchildren!  Ha!

However, Kayla's words were in the back of my mind - and I really do not know how or why, but I started to cut down on my cigarettes.  I didn't make a conscious effort to do this - it just started to happen!

I never said a word to anyone and the only one who really noticed was my boyfriend.  He was even afraid to say anything to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, having gone from a pack + a day to about 6 or 7, my daughter ( who is Kayla's Mom ), sent me an email about a man that she was taking care of at work.  She is an ICU nurse and this 61 yr old man was dying because he was diagnosed with end stage lung cancer 3 months ago with no prior warning or other health matters that was evident.

She wrote me the most heart wrenching message that in essence told me that she would be relentless in getting me to quit smoking.  Can you believe that I read this and it still didn't phase me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I ignored it!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told her that I was cutting down - but she didn't want to hear it - she said "cutting down wasn't good enough! "

I set my quit date for January 25th - but on January 15th at 5 PM, I had my last cigarette.  This was an hour before I went to babysit my grandson, Derek ( who is Kayla's brother )  This sweet little boy will be one year old on Feb 5th - and I had him all to myself that night.  I looked at him and thought - I will not smoke again - I want to be around for you.

Now, God may have other plans for me - I don't know; however, I am convinced that this is it with the smoking.  I am a recovering non-smoker and will be for as long as I am on this earth. 🙂

I am unemployed - but - right now I am interning at a school that I went to and am still learning!  My courses were tough but I did it - and this was not easy for my age!  The way I see it is this - if I can get through that - I can get through this...... and I will!  🙂

Brief Description

http://www.freeflashtoys.com/?myspace-countdown-clocks

http://www.freeflashtoys.com/?myspace-countdown-clocks
Make your own Countdown Clocks

Website

No website in profile.

Pennsylvania

Interests

Reading, Crosswords, learning new things, playing anything with my grandchildren!

Skills

cooking, event planning ( I am an ex Banquet Mgr. )