cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

chantix

jen33
0 5 8
After 15 years off hardcore Marlboro menthol loving, I have been smoke free for 3 days. That's 60 cigs I haven't smoked and $22 saved. One bad dream several lucid but not scary. A little hostile/cranky but so proud of myself. It's very empowering to put your health in your hands and make the right choice. If only they would make pharmaceuticals for all my vices, kidding....kind of. If you're thinking about trying chantix give it a shot. It's a really amazing feeling to accomplish this goal. It feels better than a drag ever did.
5 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

While you have joined us a bit late and have some catching up to do - I'm glad you have found us.  mportant thing you can do  is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site,and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Mandolinrain

Welcome and PLEASE follow Nancys advise above. While Chantix has helped many quit smoking....many also come back failing in their quits because they expect Chantix to do all the work for them and they think it will be a breeze.....well many find out it is until they quit taking it. Not saying thats what will happen in your case, but be prepared by understanding how Nicotine really works in your brain. I feel the people who maintain their 'quit' to this drug addiction, and it is a 'drug addiction'.....are the ones who took the time to learn about the 'drug' and keep their quit 'tools' nearby always...24/7. This site a a wonderful site and I wish you success in your quit...but please do the reading emntioned in Nancy post. You will not regret it!

whognu_1-2007

and some it sends off the deep end. as long as it works, work it but this quit thing is up to you. Plan to unlearn smoking and commit to 4 1/2 months.

barbara42

it works, took it for one month, after that, i desided it was up to me, the Chantix was expensive, but it did what it was supposed to do, but i figured i had to face it all by myself eventualy, so i did , smoked for 42 years , been quit for 5 now, you can do it

Rick_M

Wow look at you 3 whole days, feels good don't it. Keep that feeling, it will serve you well. I took Chantix and quit smoking. Stay strong and stay with the support this site provides. You can stay quit....just stay with us....