cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

been smoking for longer than I've been married or had kids. Don't know that I can do this.

Erlanderai
3 46 888

Where to start. Backround. Been married for close to 40 years. Oldest son is in his 30's, twins are in their mid 20's. Irrelevant but background. Dated my wife for 6 years before I proposed. Just background that I don't make fast decisions. Now that I am older, going to be 60, Still feel like 30 though. 😉 Been smoking longer than any of those. Was smoking close to 50 a day. Started cutting down on Jan 2. and charting. got an excel graph and everything. Sorry, boring. Goal for March 2 was to get to and stay under 35. So far so good. Goal for May 2 is under 30. My goal is to get to 20 when I think patch and gum//lozenge will let me quit for good. Tried Chantax once before years ago but  that didn't seem to help me at all. Yes, I am still smoking, Willpower isn't that great and change is VERY hard for me. Been living in the same little 800 sq ft house since I've been married.  Now that the boys have moved out, it is perfect size for me and my wife, even have 2 rooms we don't know what to do with, lol What I see on here is to set a date in 2 to 4 weeks. Don't see that working for me personally. At this point in my life a year is nothing.  Main reason I want to quit is scared of the big C. I am not afraid of dying just long drawn out suffering. I'd dive off a cliff first.  i do get mri every year from Lung cancer thing since I have over 30 pack years and have had mri, and sonograms just to check for early signs. That bothers me that I need to do that. On the other hand, quitting is losing the only friend that has stayed with me since 1980. Whatever happens It is always there. I am one of those people whose Dopamine levels are always low. Nothing gets my blood going that isn't extreme. Like climbing a 500 rock wall on a cruise ship, I loved snorkeling and had paid for and was going through PADI certification to scuba then read you need to stop smoking several hours before and after. cancelled the on ship certification. That bothered me. Holy crap, I am rambling. Sorry if anyone needs to read this.  I think it is as much for me to get it out as anything else.  If anyone is and has tips for how to quit this for good I'd appreciate. Don't know if  patches or patches + gum// lozenges will be enough. THey say put a patch on in the morning and you are good. That is one of my worst times.  Waiting for a slow release patch to kick in. Don't know If I will be able to resist.  Basically if you got this far, thank you thank you thank you.  I read this community is good and begging for help.

46 Comments