cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

anxiety

davesbabymama
1 7 96

so i have 9 days till my quit date im nervous and i suffer from anxiety and ptsd due to trauma as a child. however my unborn daughter deserves more than cigerettes have to offer. my feelings have always been pretty mixed and now im thinking to myself that this is goin to be hard and i know it so whats goin to make me stay quit? im not good at starting n finishing pretty much alot in my life. i dont expect or want sympathy i just need someone to be supportive and realize how scared i really am.  

7 Comments
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi my name is Jackie.  Sorry that you are nervous and suffer anxiety and ptsd.  First, I want you to know that we will be supportive of you.  Most people come here with the fear of quitting but the fear is based on thoughts of failing.   You are correct you both deserve the best. Quit smoking is not easy but doable.  It requires hard  work and determination. 

There are people here that have quit and suffer anxiety, depression, and other disorders but they  no longer use it as an excuse not to quit.  With the right attitude,  you will make it. Your life will be much better  Just take it one day at a time.  If you have anything you need help with just type HELP and tell us what is going on with you.  Someone will response as quickly as possible.   You will be fine.  Stay close...

DollyMargaret

I realize you are worried about your anxiety, but the amount of anxiety SMOKING ADDS to your life, especially in your current situation is giant...while the anxiety it relieves...IS ZERO.  Smoking does NOT relieve anxiety, it offers release from nicotine withdrawl.  Smokers don't enjoy more dopamine release than non-smokers, they only control those releases and create a false sence of joy from the cigarette.  PLEASE consider reading Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.  The physical withdraw is over in just a few days and then you have only to relearn life without smoking, this book helps SO much as does this website.  Please hold strong, you are so blessed to be having a baby.  I know so many women who would love to concieve more than anything else.  Treasure your little baby, and really try that book!  I know there are free downloads around.  It's written at something like 3rd grade level.  It's a very easy read and the success rate is unparallelled!  I really hope you make it!!!

Dotgirl_1-28-16
What's going to make you stay quit? You. You make a commitment to not smoke and you honor that commitment. A craving usually only last 2-5 minutes. You're preparing yourself for what you will do when a craving hits and then...you will do that instead of smoke. When your addiction tells you that you can't, you need to shout back YES I CAN! You're stronger than you think, you can do this. For today, keep preparing yourself...you got this! You're working to hard and you want this too much to not succeed!
Eric_L.

I've found that the skills involved with quitting have helped in other areas of my life.  Really working on controlling my thoughts.  Asking myself, when I want to smoke, why am I distrubed?  Am I disturbed because I believe that smoking will help me in the short term and long term?  Either one is doubtful, however, objectively the anxiety usually can't stand up to scrutiny.  But let's say that smoking, however doubtful, will help in the short term.  In the broad sense will it help my emotional state?  Is it adaptive or aid my survival?  Is it goal producing?  Does it protect me from others?

Smoking is a crutch.  If you are a smoker like me then you never really smoke for any other reason than to stop withdrawal.  Then, it gets tied up in a weird anxiety/reward/smoke cycle.  I don't have to live like that anymore.  After a year the reward smoke cycle seems to be manageable and my anxietes seem to be coming down a little.   You can do this.  Keep checking in here daily and participating in the blogs.

ShawnP

Thomas3.20.2010

Hi! I had Generalized Anxiety Disorder and severe PTSD when I was a smoker. I believed that I would die with both mental illnesses. 

But now I'm FREE! And it started with Smoking Cessation! You deserve Freedom! Your Baby deserves a FREE Mommy! Think of the EXample you can set for her! 

Never Give Up! I had to throw everything I know about at my Depression/Anxiety and PTSD but I came out on top!

You can, too!

PM me any time!

Sootie

I'm always just a little sad when I see new quitters posting that they are fearful or anvious about quitting.

I understand it may be normal to feel this.....but think about this-

How anxious would you be if the doctor sat you down and said, I am sorry, but the tests showed cancer

How anxious would you be if your child said, Joey can't come to our house to play because you smoke.

How fearful would you be to face life attached to an oxygen tank

Quitting smoking is nothing to fear.....................it is a wonderful, calming sense of freedom and possibilities.........

NO FEAR. STAY STRONG.