cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Yet Here I AM - EIGHT Years Quit!

YoungAtHeart
12 32 438

The first day I quit was the longest of my life.  I ate frozen Hershey Kisses until I was ready to throw up and couldn't eat even one more.  It was only 2:00 PM!  THAT was my plan, so I didn't have the foggiest idea what I was going to do.

Yet Here I Am - Eight Years Quit

My daughter brought me her iPad and Angry Birds.  It frustrated me to no end.  But - I kept at it, because I didn't have a better idea!

I played Angry Birds 14 hours a day for at least that first week, and never really got any better at it

I didn't find The Ex, Allen Carr and this wonderful support until the fourth day of my quit.

I made the decision that I was not going to smoke again NO MATTER WHAT.  I never argued with myself about it. I honored that decision that first day and every day going forward.

I read everything recommended here, followed the advice given, and took it one day (sometimes an hour or 15 minutes) at a time.  I asked questions when I had them, and for support when I needed it.

AND HERE I AM, EIGHT YEARS QUIT!

Take heart if you are just starting out.  You are no different; your challenge no greater that mine.  You CAN do this, one day at a time!

Happy

July 4th!

32 Comments
OldBones-Larry

CONGRATULATIONS my friend.

SimplySheri

Yay, you, Nancy!!!  What a lovely day to celebrate a lovely quitter!!!  Happy for you, my friend     I hope you have a marvelous day!!!!

Barbscloud

Congrats on 8 years.  That's amazing.  Some fireworks for the 4th!

Congrats GIF - Download on Funimada.com

Barb

JonesCarpeDiem

She Eight The Whole Thing!

Congladulations!

MarilynH

I'm so glad that you are here with all of us so we can CELEBRATE with you CONGRATULATIONS Nancy on your fantastic fabulous beautiful glorious wonderful humongous ginormous magnificent amazing spectacular splendiferous stupendous awesome precious Smokefree years and counting WTG my friend and fellow EXer and most definetly EXtended family let's CELEBRATE because I absolutely love CELEBRATING MILESTONES! Hip hip hooray whoopee....

12b7644c4bd58f8363ec2fbe4ca76cb7.jpg

maryfreecig

Congratulations, Nancy! Happy 8 years.  Thanks for sharing how you got here--your experience strength and hope. 

ShawnP

Congratulations my friend. I had just posted on the bonfire about you, not realizing you already posted here. Thats alot of hersheys hehe and you STILL love chocolate after that. Amazing  

Giulia

8 Cow Licks for your 8 years!

Cow Nancy.jpg             

Cow lick wazup.gif   What a swell blog!

Christine13

Many Congratulations on 8 years free!!

shashort

Congratulations Nancy on still being here and 8 beautiful years of freedom. You rock my friend. Happy 4th of July.

sweetplt

YoungAtHeart Congratulations Nancy....8 spectacular years quit...is amazing...Enjoy the Freedom and a Happy 4th of July...!

Colleen  579 DOF

pastedImage_2.jpg

Ladybug--7-3-12

… and then there was Candy Crush lol.  Congratulations!  Enjoy celebrating your milestone today & keep counting UP!

Cousin-Itt

What can I say about the number 8 Well it falls between the numbers 7 and 9 I know if you stack 2 circles on top of each other it will look like a 

Now what can I say about 8 Years of Smoke Free Living.

Awesome, Amazing, Stunning, · Astounding, Astonishing, Awe-Inspiringetc.... 

Congratulations Nancy

Jennifer-Quit

congratulations.jpg

elvan

Congratulations, Nancy.  I am so proud of you and so grateful FOR you!  Eight years is absolutely amazing and you quit on your first try.  Wish I could say that.  You are a guiding light for everyone here, no matter where they are in their quits!

Love you dearly,

Ellen

beazel

Congratulations on 8 YEARS!!!!

Free download Hershey Kisses Images Pictures Becuo [560x373] for ...

YoungAtHeart

Thomas3.20.2010

Congratulations Nancy!!!

YoungAtHeart

Thank you, Thomas3.20.2010 !  Means a lot!

WhispersQSMB

Congrats on 8 years, you get B2B days on celebrating your freedom...

I hope you had a great day and celebrated

DavesTime

winning cup_2.jpg

Congratulations on 8 wonderful, beautiful, tremendous, spectacular, amazing, sensational, liberating, and pretty darn great smoke-free years, Nancy!

Legend

Congratulations on 8 years Yay!!!

meWisconsin

8 years of freedom is fantastic. Congratulations

Terry

Sootie

Nancy---You have been through SOOOO MUCH in your quit. I really admire how you stuck with it and did not let the falls,trips, spills and breaks give you an EXcuse to smoke. Of course.....you are one tough lady!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

YoungAtHeart

And I swam 30 minutes of laps today.  The shoulder surgeon said I would not be able to do backstroke again.  Wish he could see me NOW!!!

paulh

Congratulations Nancy!

Thank you for all your support

YoungAtHeart

Hey, paulh !

Good to see you!!!  How ya' doin'?

paulh

Hi Nancy! I'm doing great! Busy

indingrl

animated_1594165417766.gif Nancy

YoungAtHeart

paulh 

Well, it keeps you off of the street corners into the night, anyway!

Do stop by when your life permits!

djmurray

YAY Nancy!  I'm always late to the party, but I do want to both congratulate you for your awesome eight years and to thank you for being such a stalwart presence on EX.  You are a vital part of the structure of this community, and we love you to the moon and back.

YoungAtHeart

awwwwwwwww- thank you!

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.