cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Yet ANOTHER Benefit of Quitting Smoking

YoungAtHeart
0 10 27

After a 300+ day quit, I find that I can now swim 10 freestyle strokes before having to come up for a breath (4 was my max before I quit smoking!) As well, I can now swim three consecutive freestyle laps and will try to extend that each week now (2 was my max and not until halfway through a swimming season before I quit. ) Because of various health problems, I have not been able to do laps for almost four years, and am already way ahead of where I was after only a month back in the pool.

Isn't life grand with cleaner lungs?

To the newly quit: this is not easy, but it IS doable and the benefits are phenomenal! Stay strong and stay committed. This is SO worth doing!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

10 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

FANTASTIC!!!

judy100

It is great to hear about all the progress you have made and continue to make.  Love hearing your story and am glad that you are willing to share.  Thank you!

joyeuxencore

WOW!!! I will soon be doing laps in the pool in Vegas! Well, maybe more LOUNGING than laps but we will be thinkin' about you Nancy! Thank you for all your love and support since day one for me 191 days ago!!!! xo

wishingstar

reading achivments by ex smokers, helps us newbies.  Heck after 3 days free of smoke Working on the 4th. I enjoyed a longer session of playing basketball with my youngest and cant wait to be a more active person,like I  was before the addiction took it all away

Nyima_1.6.13

Congratulations Nancy! I can't wait to be back in the water with my healthier lungs!

Strudel

Love this Nancy! Congrats - on everything! Almost one year - I hope you have something special planned! 

Jordan-11-1-12

Wow! Just think what you'll be able to work up to now that you're able to go back to it!

Congratulations!  😃

mayagg

Super good work. Hugs, M

sbbain1

We just uncovered our pool last week here in Austin, TX and I can't wait to get back in the pool.  I'm not a lap swimming, but I do enjoy exercising in it.  I know you must be wondering why I haven't been in sooner, but we have 40 live oak trees in our backyard and they shed this green pollen things and their leaves twice a year.  I also don't get in it until it reaches 80 degrees. 

Great job!

Stacey

Quit 3/29/13

jensteff

You ROCK! ❤️

About the Author
I smoked until a vascular surgeon informed me of the damage I had done to myself by doing so. I quit 11 years ago, and I can swim laps virtually FOREVER now, walk most other days 40 minutes to an hour and a half. What a difference quitting has made in my life! I strive to help others find this wonderful freedom from addiction, too.