cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Yesterday was FINALLY quit day - now what. 😬

BabySaki16
3 13 134

After 5-6 days in a row trying, and resetting my QuitDay... yesterday I hit my 24 hr mark. 

Morning coffee was my biggest dread when I started. Now im dreading unfamiliar territory of a 2nd day, 3rd day....

i know, success is one day, sometimes moment at a time. My mood isn't as eager this morning. Going into a 2nd day is intimidating me. All the things I've been doing to keep busy, I'm not in the mood to do. I'm tired already. 

It's not hopeless.  I have to really look at the accomplishment, afyer 30 yrs of smoking. The support from husband & kids have been awesome. I think they are prouder than I am. For some reason yesterday seems like it was easier (after days of trying), than this morning. That bums me out even though I know none of this will be easy. I'm dreading this 1st wk. Yesterday, though, I embraced it. Moods. They are something, sometimes. But having a cig isn't gonna aid help my mood. I won't let that thinking " trick" me. I cannot. I slipped for 5-6 days and not once did I feel better emotionally, physically or otherwise.  It only satisfied the addiction for all of 2 min. 2 minutes of my day?!! It's not worth it. But I keep thinking of the damn "puff". More than yesterday. Ugh. 

I'm also tired. Possibly from starting to wake at 4am? Idk.  So I'm trying to watch something funny. And... really not knowing what to do, but knowing the 1 thing NOT to do But right now.... I need some good cheer and uplifting motivation. I'm here at the house all day. 

I felt satisfied about my 24 hrs... until this am and knew it was time for 24 more. I long for the day where it's easier than this. To spend this much time feeling like junk over this ridiculous habit ... is such a waste of my time. But I cannot think of much else. I can get my mind busy. But it's very temporary. 

I know - saving money, better health, nicer smells, etc etc. 

I'm gonna do this today. You are going to do this today. WE ARE GONNA DO THIS. It feels lonely and all alone-like, but we're doing this together.  

Let's do it.  

My sincere best,  wherever you are,

Jules

Aside from what it feels like 48 hrs is coming... soon enough a week will have gone by. 

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on Day WON! 

The first days of a quit suck; they just do.  Get through them however you can.

You might try some more passive distractions in between the more active ones. You can change up your thinking of smoking that way.  Think of girls'/boys' names, cities/states, furniture, fruits and vegetables, most anything for each letter of the alphabet.  You might count backwards from 10,000, or count the red, then blue, then white things in the room.  THEN take a walk outside, or do a few jumping jacks, or clean out a drawer.  This  IS work in the early days - maybe think of it that way?

Do be kind to yourself.  Maybe even take a nap, or a relaxing bath, or window shop online for what you might get yourself as a reward for the first week.

This is going to get easier.  Hang in there until it does.

Nancy

McMoney

Congratulations on surviving the first day! 

It's okay to feel nervous or worried about what the day will bring. I remember trying to insulate myself so much the first few days. I wasn't so worried about what to do with my hands as I was concerned about keeping a tight leash on my thoughts. 

Recognize when your thoughts start to move in a negative needing direction.  Refocus right then on what you're thankful for, stay positive! And like Nancy suggested, control your mind by giving it a task. & If you are tired, take a nap, don't fight it. I sometimes feel like if I nap that I'm being lazy but if that helps you get through the first week or two, it really is fine. Whatever it takes to win another day, is fine. As long as you are not smoking you are WINNING. You will get through these hard days, it will get better. Keep writing your experience and keep reaching out for support. You are not alone! ðŸŒº

AnnetteMM

png-transparent-blue-cartoon-character-goodbye-to-bloo-cartoon-network-imaginary-friend-blue-quotes-miscellaneous-blue-angle-thumbnail.png

Barbscloud

@BabySaki16 So happy you made your first day won.  You took the time you needed to prepare for your journey and it will pay off.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, even though now we know it never was. We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that we're apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Stay close to site  now.   Some quitters need to keep moving, while others need to sleep.  Listen to your body right now and remember any withdrawal symptoms are a signs your body healing.

If you can, go for a walk.  Short intermittent walks throughout the day helps to refocus your thoughts and you get that added boost of dopamine lost when quitting.  And don't forget those deep breathing exercises.  They really help.  You can still enjoy your coffee.   I used to drink mine on the porch with the dog and smoking away.  I moved to drinking it when I'm on the Ex in the morning.  Create those new associations.  Be creative!

In addition to walking, Sour Patch Kids and chewing on straws, I found video games useful.  They occupy your thoughts and your hands.  

Barbscloud_2-1709480350508.png

Barb

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations on day 1! Keep up the good work!

Quiana, EX Team

ReallyReal

Congratulations on your quit--and great that you posted here with us to talk about how you are feeling and what you are thinking.  I am so glad to hear you have the support of those who love you.  Yes, oh gosh those early days of a quit are hard.  Do the things that keep you from using nicotine, whether it is sleeping (in my first weeks I slept A LOT) or exercising, or whatever, just don't use nicotine.  Do you have a mantra?  I told myself repeatedly, Smoking is simply not an option anymore.  That helped me when my mind would try to get me to obsess about things related to smoking.  I tried to nip those romantic thoughts of smoking and how "good" it would be in the bud.  Be aware, the addict brain will tell you all sorts of lies to get you to use nicotine--remember, they are lies and nicotine is NOT your friend.  Keep on keeping on--,You will get through the hard days!  Wishing you the very best!!

BabySaki16

Thank you. I thought I had it. And it feels like I threw it away on day 2... a mini chain smoke, and it was all over. I know the 1st 11/2 days won't be my hardest, but I'm angry I finally got there ... just to mess it up eventually today. 

No pity party needs to be had I TRY to tell myself. That never helps, and people who know better have said as much. I'm just sad, mad, discouraged and feel like this is beyond my capacity. That's gotta be wrong, cuz yesterday it all fell into place even w some challenges. Anyways....

So I restart again today. Today. Not tomorrow.  I'm disappointed,  but I can't stay here. 

So just being accountable 'out loud' ...again. 😔 😠 

biscuit9

The first week is a little rough, to say the least.  Encouraging you to slow down a bit, don't get too far ahead, seven days will get here sooner than you think.  One day, sometimes an hour at a time, is how you get to where you want to be.  You got hooked one smoke at a time, remember?  Be kind to yourself and treat yourself, this is important, because we feel like we are giving up soooooo much.  The truth is, you are gaining your life BACK.  You are gaining BACK what you lost, before the nicotine took you over.  Distract, distract or shove a hard candy in your mouth, take a walk around the block.  You can do alot of things, many things, just don't smoke.  You can't feed the monster, cos one puff ALWAYS leads to another.  Big caring hugs.

BabySaki16

@biscuit9 True words.

Part of me almost threw in today's towel, but I decided to put a lozenge in and work on a puzzle.  It'll do me no good to keep smoking today & restart tomorrow, when I can pick it right back up now. Idk what else to do. I was nearing 48 hrs w/o a puff... I broke down. Changed my tire and going aimlessly down the road again. I feel like I destroyed my "run", as short as it was - 41 hrs was a lot for me. 

Anyways back to the puzzle. I felt so tired and blah today. Thank you for reminding me not to judge myself too harshly or disregard how difficult this is. Also, thank you for the encouragement.  You're right... as hellish as some days or moments may "feel" I'm not willing to walk away from this. And 7 days will pass the same way every day passes. Looking too far ahead will put too much anxiety and pressure on me. One day at a time. And learn from each thing that or time I'm struggling, so I can do it differently.  

I'm feeling better than i was, and thank you all.  Do I reset my quit date though? I've done it for a week. Sad. 

My best

Jules

biscuit9

Jules, not sure of your details, but around here, a slip is NOT a fall.  I had a slip on day #7 of my quit (now quit 1 yr, 234 days).  It was the very first time I had been left alone at home, since my quit and I had a meltdown and found the hated vape pen that I never used (I was a cig smoker) and took a few puffs and felt really really bad about it. I got rid of the vape and never did that again.  I call that a slip, because I didn't do it again, it was a moment.  I have never inhaled nicotine again, so I kept that promise.  In other words, if you learned your lesson by messing up, I call that a slip.  Seconds later, I "came to my senses" and remembered how much I hated the addiction...it sure didn't make me feel better.  Let your conscience be your guide.  I watched alot of awful smoking videos in the early days, it's what I needed to see and watch to make my quit stick.  Baby steps and stay busy doing positive things.  

maryfreecig

I'm so happy to hear that you found out that even though the early days of quitting are not fun, you'd rather put yourself to your quit than give up. A lot of us felt distressingly on edge at first. Please don't be fooled by the simpleness of slogans like "one day at a time." We know that taking life one day at a time is simple, the problem is that it's not easy. That smoking seems so much easier than quitting is right!!! But we get through the crap and move onto the freedom--when you no longer have to answer to addiction. Yes you can.

MarilynH

YAY for your day WON yesterday @BabySaki16 and tonight will be your 2nd day WON! Deep breaths you've got this believe it plus we're all here to help you in any way we can!

Barbscloud

@BabySaki16 How is it going?

Barb