cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

YEAR ONE: March 1 to March 1

Storm.3.1.14
0 44 317

I was sick and tired of smoking, and I was sick and tired of relapsing. After 28 years in this cycle of embarrassment, I was tarnished and ashamed. My heart was struggling, and my spirit was crying out, “Enough! Please, just…stop!”

Well, the only way out from in between constantly smoking and repeatedly relapsing is finally quitting. Period. Without fail. For good, and for life. So, I came here, to you, seeking help with that very thing  : my own salvation from myself. That’s what you promised, that’s what I chose, that’s what I earned. And this morning, for the 366th time, I chose that freedom yet again.

March 1st - my day of days! - and this Living Quit is outside of me, visiting with you, my special friends. 

It’s visiting with the Mentors who prepared me during the earliest days. Then, when my moment came, I wrote their names on my right hand (seriously!), and I “carried them with me” on that first “liberty walk” on Quitmas morning of last year.

My quit is visiting today with the beloved villagers - gentle “sisters”, feisty “mamas”, gracious Elders, supportive commenters, loyal pen pals, fellow March of 2014 classmates (all four of them!) - who never let me doubt that I was now a valued part of something stronger than my past, and bigger than myself. 

And it’s visiting with   Derek, my Quit Buddy, my sworn LifeLine, my talented classmate. He quietly started his EX journey   on the exact same date, and has traveled beside me (and, invisibly, with all of you, too), ever since. Along the way, we gave one another strength and laughter, and founded a friendship out of them both.

It’s often said here, “I couldn’t have done it without all of you.” I say, “I’m honored that I did it   with all of you.”

Thank you for teaching me your truths, for pondering my unique perspectives, and for allowing me to witness your inspiring courage in the face of shocking challenges. 

I came here to listen, to speak, to heal myself, to help others do the same - all in equal measure, all with your blessing. And it’s my humble hope, on this most grateful day, that I have made you proud.

STORM :     Free and Healing for One Year, 11 Hours and 31 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 28 Days and 1 Hour, by avoiding the use of 8085 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $1,662.10.

ONWARD, FREEDOM MARCHERS!

LIGHT THE WAY!

44 Comments
LouiseR

Congrats Storm and welcome to the 6% club.  You are such an inspiration to all!

Chris265

You made it and have been inspirational to boot!  Job well done.  Welcome to the club.

constanceclum

Reading this, my eyes are moist. I have smoked for 43 yrs and am so familiar with the relapses. All because of the brainwashing by the tobacco companies backed by the gov. You started out a newbie seeking help and now you are 1 of many providing help. Congratulations Storm. Celebrate in any way you can.

Connie

linda258

Congrats.... so happy for you.   Such an important day in your life.  Don't you just LOVE IT... makes me want to smile all day long... (and I'm late for work.). 

Keep talking the talk and walking the walk. 

Jenn_06-03-14

Yay!  Congrats to you!!!  Way to go!  

Thomas3.20.2010

Thank You for inspiring us as you climb Mt. Freedom!

Every step is worth it! The veiw is Incredible!

Brenda_M

Wow!!! Oh, Storm, wow!!! Congratulations! You have inspired all of us along the way! I am so proud and happy to know you!

pir8fan

You came! You listened! You Spoke! You followed the trail that was blazed by those who came before you! More importantly you stepped off the trail, and found newer and better way to get to your Freedom! You did it your way!  At some point in our quits we all have to do that! You took possesion of your quit, and took personal responsibility for it! And, you left the markers behind for those that follow you! You documented your journey so far, and, I hope you continue to do so!

You have become a South Carolina based international distributor of "Collateral Kindness" Helping yourself by helping others! What a way to quit! What a way to live! Stay with us my friend! The best is yet to come!      Tommy

Jennifer-Quit

Congratulations and thank you for being such an inspiration to all of us!  I am following your foot-steps to that elite 6% club!

annb
You've "Marched" thru your quit like a Pro,Storm!! Congrats, Best Wishes and Keep Marchin on!! 🙂
elvan

Congratulations, Storm.  I am really happy for you and I have read every blog you have written and looked at every picture you have posted.  You have extended your hand to those behind you and you have supported those in front of you in any way that you could.  You really DID do it YOUR way, I love that.  I will admit that I worried about you at the beginning because you seemed so exuberant and I was not sure you could hold onto that.  I am really glad that you and Derek have traveled this path together, how wonderful.  Please send congratulations to him as well.

GENTLE (((HUGS)))

Ellen

JRC

Thank you for all the wisdom you have provided all of us along your journey. I love reading your blogs.

A big, huge congratulations to you Storm!!!!

ShawnP

OK I think i can type now after wiping the tears from my eyes. Congratulations Storm!!!  We are proud of you as you are for yourself. I remember your trip not long ago. The pictures you posted. How is the view from the top now my friend? Thanks for all that you do here. Can't wait to see you in Nashville and give you a big hug (((((((( u ))))))))

lerlesherb

Thanks for the name drop Storm!  🙂  It's been a long, interesting and fun journey.  We have conquered this quit and will continue onwards!  Congrats to you man!  Keep those kick ass blogs rolling!

I've come out of the shadows to take a bow with you...now I'll quietly sneak back...

😄

Derek

rosemarymom

Congratulations to you, Sir Storm!  You have 'stormed' your way through this year in an incredible manner.  You are wonderful!

I love your blogs and pictures.  What a wonderful inspiration you are!

Giulia

You do us all honor, Storm, and add your own very special beacon of hope.  You've always had a wonderful way with words in presenting your "Living Quit."  (LOVE the term! And for that matter "a valued part of something stronger than my past, and bigger than myself.")  Proud of you?  Oh YES!  But then it was not unexpected from the time I first encountered you on here that you would fulfill your goal.  I knew you were a "lifer" from the way you approached your quit.  You thought, you planned, you practiced, you DID.  And for me, what's personally great is that I will never forget your quit date because I share it!

So how many rocks do you now have in the pretty terra cotta bowl on your patio table?  And what plants will you grow in that eX kitty litter flower pot this spring?  Or maybe you put in a perennial last year and it will grow and bloom forever - just like your beautiful quit. 

ShawnP

freeneasy

Congratulations! Thanks for your encouragement and the great perspective you bring here.

sparky26

There was never a doubt in my mind . Congratulations my friend . Proud of you.

Love Donna 

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Been waiting on you friend and welcome... It is an awesome accomplishment and it has been an honor sharing the past 367 days with you.  Eldership will fit you well.

Love

Jackie

Ms J

bonniebee

CONGRATULATIONS STORM !!!! You made it and with your help and all the beautiful Ex'ers here I have hope of joining you in the 6% Club I have a long way to go but one day at a time it is possible ! I am so sick and tired of relapsing too !

bonnie-12-28-14

Wow simply amazing!!!  You are amazing.

Thank you for sharing and CONGRATS!!!

Polynha

Congratulations Storm! YOU DID IT!  You are amazing!

promise_judy

Congrats Storm!!!!!

I am doing my Happy Dance!!!

Keep on adding those smoke free days.

XOXO

stadtlerj

Great Job Storm fantastic milestone congratulations you certainly deserve to celebrate.

Congratulations to Derrick also great job you both should be really proud of your accomplishment.

Jim

Mrs.Rum

Hogs and quiches for you on this momentous, and EPIC, day.  So proud of you.  🙂

smorgy8513

Storm....I only have 1 thing to say to you:

I'm proud of you!!!!!

(ok, just thought of a 2nd thing I want to say to you)

Love you Guy!!!

Sharon

JulieSw
Congratulations Storm, you did it !!!! As a fellow "Marcher" I want to thank you for your constant inspiration. You, my friend, are a true quitter 🙂
Laura-12-14-14

Congrats on your accomplishment! Thanks for a being a inspiration to me...a newbie, and for sharing your wisdom and motivation! Hope you continue to be a part of this site.

John10forteen

You "Marched" right into the 6% club. Good for you man. It's a fantastic thing. Keep on Keeping on.

Magstoyou

Congratulations on Your 1 yr

From the beginning when  you came to this site you were determined, committed!!!

Had a great attitude!!!

Always going forward!!! WTG

1 Year is a great Milestone,Hold that torch high!!!

Mag594Dof

Sootie

Congratulations Storm! You have had an incredible year and have helped countless others along the way. On to the rest of your life...............☺

Strudel

Thank YOU Storm for being such a valuable - and unique - part of this community! Congratulations on one year!! An incredible accomplishment for an incredible person! 

Jaxson1-16-14

Congratulations my friend and I welcome you to the 6% club with open arms! I knew from that first blog you wrote, you were a fighter and you were a winner!  It has been an honor and a privilege to walk this path with you!  You are a ROCK STAR and an inspiration to everyone!  I cherish you and our friendship!!  Amazing accomplishment my friend!! Congrats again!!

cheryl_1-1-14

Hey buddy.  I don't come around too often anymore but for some reason something told me to log on today.  Now I see why.  I had to come give you a cyber hug and tell you how proud I am that you hit such a huge milestone in your quit.  Good for you!!  I never had any doubt.  Be proud and keep on inspiring others.  I'm very happy for you.

jeanne-06.03.13

Great job!  I enjoy your blogs.  It is all about making a decision and staying with it.  This site is so helpful.

I agree with Jim,  congrats to Derrick.  Great job both of you! 

You will never go back now!

Congrats,  Jeanne 06.03.13

newlife5

congratulations storm  im so proud of you

djmurray

Sorry I'm so late to the party, Storm.  Let me say that you were one of the very first people I communicated with at the beginning of my quit and I went to your page and if you recall, I asked you if I could copy something from your page to help me..  It did.  You did.  And as you were moving elegantly toward the 6% Club I was moving through the newbie stage and also finding the honor of working with this wonderful community.  Your blog is stupendous, and I think it's something that should go into Best of EX.  Giulia? 

nanawendy

You "Stormed" onto this site with a great attitude, willing to educate yourself on this addiction and listen to people that were where you wanted to be.  You were an inspiration to so many following behind you and to those of us leading you. You did this your way, my friend, with all the class of a "Southern Gentleman".  Welcome to the 6% club. 

Keep calm and carry on

Wendy

12/31/12

Minx

tears

Thank you for your words and wisdom and INSPIRATION!  Congratulations on embracing your beautiful life with freedom.  Such a fabulous day for you!

SimplySheri

So very, very happy for you, Storm!!  What an amazing gift you've given yourself as well as your loved ones.  Congratulations on your year of being smoke free....may it lead to other milestones which you can cherish as well.  Be proud, my friend....you are extraordinary!!

moody_9-18-13

Always the cows tail, that's what I am! But, I am not too late to this party! Many congratulations on taking control of your life, doing it your way! 

Hugs, 

Moody

Storm.3.1.14

FROM DEB K. : Hey Storm, how the heck are ya? I think I missed your 1 year anniversary, so sorry! You are such a wonderful guy, if you were here I'd give you the biggest hug. I believe you could be a great writer. You are amazing, with your blogs and your great advice. I wish you the best in every thing you attempt. I love you and don't even know ya. Let's make this 2 years! NOPE Thank you!!!!!

cookie32

Awesome!!! Your  tough!