cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Work

OldBones-Larry
1 16 21

I spent some time yesterday and this morning laying out and preparing a flower/garden bed for next spring.

A lady across the complex sent her children over yesterday to clear the grass from the area. They broke the ground up while I was going to get some supplies to work the ground with.

Today she helped me put in the edging. I think it will be a nice bed.

Next spring I will be able to go out and "putter around" in the area. At least I will feel like I am accomplishing something. I miss that feeling a lot since I can't work anymore.

To all the folks that are still new in their quit journey, keep up the great work you are all putting into your quits!!!!

You are doing fantastic!!!

Remember, the journey of 10,000 miles begins with one small step.

One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be.

Larry the Caravan Master

Tags (1)
16 Comments
Deena-A-Yenni

Hey Larry.  Always a pleasure to hear from you.

TerrieQuit

The flower bed and garden area sounds nice. I did that this year! I love working with the ground, sounds like you do too! When you don't work "puttering around is good!) I have to get out and clear up what's left from this year and get the earth ready for next year! before the weather changes too much!

Great blog, Larry! Thanks

Terrie

YoungAtHeart

Puttering in my flower gardens is one of my greatest pleasures.  I love to bring bouquets inside for my table, too.  Brings the outdoors in to ME!

Good you got it ready - maybe you can plant a few spring bulbs so you can get an early start next year?

As always, it's good to have you around!'

Nancy

Brenda_M

Nice to see you, Larry! Sounds like it'll be a lovely bed!

cpsono

So good for the soul.  I've spent some time the past few weekends getting my flower beds ready for winter!  Blessings to you, Larry!   CP

Puff-TM-Draggin

Do you know how to take photos and post them to EX.  I couldn't figure it out ... but there has to be a way.  I would be nice to see photos of the garden now and then in bloom next Spring ... sort of a growth reminder, since we are all growing in quits.  If those little seeds can survive the discomfort of the long, cold winter and pop up their tender green heads in the Spring ... so can all we Fall quitters.

As always, all my best.  I'm watching you watching me as I cross this wonderful, s.o.b. desert.  Send a little rain if you would.

connect2amy

Thanks Larry 🙂

Jennifer-Quit

So very envious - I would love to have a little garden spot!  I have to settle for a few plants on my patio.  As already mentioned, I would love to see pictures also! 

summer-07-06-15

thanks for the words of encouragement and showing what we can do instead of smoking.

Lovely Flower Image

Giulia

Beautiful Dahlia, Summer. 

Don't put down too much mulch, Larry, or there won't be any weeds for you pull.  And that's half the fun of a garden!  lol.  I live to plant.  They are my offspring.  I just put in 70 Daffy bulbs and have 30 to go.  And transplanted 12 Black-eyed Susans.  Don't know if it's the right time of year to do that, but who cares!  They needed thinning and I need digging.  I'm happiest with knees full of mud and back breaking.

I'm so sorry you miss the feeling of work.  Hey - you wanna come over here and set up a new garden bed?  Feel free!  It's important to keep challenging ourselves - else we get older sooner than later.

What about welding and woodworking?  Are you using your creative forces to come up with wonderful imaginative things to sell or give away?  Sounds like you need projects to keep you active.  They don't have to be HUGE, just little things.  Take what you CAN do and head in that direction.  Whittling?  Your "skills" say you work in wood.... so... are you? 

One step and then another gets you to what you want.....

bonniebee

I love gardening I don't know how big your garden will be but try to save a space for  a tomato plant   they are easy to grow and taste so good ! Also chives have pretty lavender flowers and you can pick the chives to et all summer long ! They come back every year and get bigger and better .

Thanks Larry for being here ! 

HealthyOrange

I love that you are making a garden to putz around in for spring and that your neighbor sent her daughter to help you!  Just goes to show that you are loved where ever you go!  

MarilynH

It's great to be able to enjoy the great outdoors and your flower /garden bed will be already for spring plants, life is so much better being an Exer .

Marilyn 

Barbara145

I love watching you heal.  It is awesome!

Eric_L.

Good job!

Sootie

Lots of gardeners here at Ex it seems........

I, too, love to garden. Consider putting in some herbs......they grow easily (mint especially will just bloom and bloom each year, so they make you feel like a successful gardener right away......plus they are useful.

I just harvested my lavender for the year. Now I will dry it and make drawer sachets. So glad to have another gardener. ALSO---so glad you are feeling well.

About the Author
I am a male that underwent coronary artery bypass X3 (triple) on 10/22/13 at the age of 55. I was living on about 20-30% of one coronary artery and my left heart output was only 20% to 25%. I spent a week in the hospital after surgery and went home. Then had to go back a day later for another week because I had pneumonia. Finally a few days because of a slight arythmia. All told it has been about 2 1/2 weeks. I am past the cravings by now and only have the urges to contend with. I really don't suggest that anyone quits smoking using this technique though. I'll have to carry the scars from that day for the rest of my life. The large one down the center of my chest, and the ones from several "silent" infarctions. I came that close to the next world. Never again will I subject my body to that (at one point in my life I was smoking 5 packs of cigarillos a day). I now have to say N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever) every day of my life. TheOldGoat-Joan, I miss you terribly my friend. Elder Lists Guilia's: (/blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/06/18/elders-list-ao-december-7-2016 ) or Smorgy's (Chronological Elder List)