cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Words of advice, positive thinking!!

lana6
0 8 101

Hey all fellow ex smokers and soon to be ex smokers. 

I just saw about 5 blog posts that i wanted to comment on, but i figured i would just write one, and that way everyone can read it. I am 22 days smoke free. I cheated once, beat myself up, and continued on. Here is some advice

The day i cheated i was drinking. It was obviously a trigger for me, so i did it. Big mistake, not only did it make me feel like shit, it also made me beat myself up about it for about 6 hours!

A smoke is not going to make your annoying husband go away, make your teenager act any better, or frustrate you anyless. It is not going to make your money problems go away, and it certainly won't make your stress magically dissapear. It never has. It never will. Take a deep breath, drink a glass of water and try and relax. 

Take it day by day. I was soooo afraid of NEVER smoking again. Never is a big word, and a long time. So how about you dont smoke today, maybe tomorrow. When you get up tomorrow, say the same thing. All of a sudden your on day 20! Every day you do not smoke is an accomplisment. Day 1 day 2004, does not matter. What matters is that you are not smoking!

Some one told me to think as a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker. When you think about having a smoke, think to yourself, what would a non smoker do? They wouldn't so why would you??

The only things that worked to get me past day 3 (for the 3rd time) was chewy candy and water. When i had a craving i would stuff my mouth full of chewy candy (the stuff that takes forever to chew) and by the time i was done chewing the craving was usually gone. If not, a huge glass of cold water. 

No one cares if you go up a dress size or your pants are a little tighter than they were before. No one cares that you gained 10 lbs. they don't even notice, so get over it. What they care about is that their mom, brother, sister, father, daughter, son, husband or wife does not smell like a dirty nasty ashtray. That when you go to pull out your kids loose tooth, it doesn't fill up their mouth with the dirty taste. That their mom or dad will be at their wedding. And see their grandkids, and maybe even great grandkids. 

Quitting smoking gives you power. Power to control your own life. To not have to wonder where you are going to smoke or (omg) you don't have a ciggarette for the morning.

Life is worth living. You may not have money, or someone that sleeps beside you every night, but somewhere in the world there is someone who cares about you, and cares about you quitting, and supports you. Even if it is a stranger on a website. 

Good luck, i know you can do it, and i care, and i will be here to vent to, because all of you were here for me!

8 Comments
jimer

Perfectly said.... thank you!

JACKIE38

PERFECTLY SAID,  WELL DONE   YOU ROCK

HAVE A GREAT AND SMOKE FREE DAY    JACKIE

gail24

Thanks, I need that.

annie36

I am super proud of you and glad to read your post. Keep being strong and give that cute baby kisses.(I love his cheeks) We should all be proud of ourselves and everyone else!!! Annie

Bonnie11.3.2009

Atta Girl!

blc

THANK YOU. I NEEDED TO HEAR THAT. HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!!

BOBBI

jennifereddy

Thanks! I really needed that. I'm on day 8. Anxiety attacks and all. So thanks for the positive words!

lewis65

Gretchen Whelan-Lewis "Likes This"!