Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Wondering...

shood
0 14 23

Hi there all my fellow ex-smokers!

My name is Shelby and I am new here...

Quit smoking cold turkey on the 6th of February; although a few days after the initial quit I needed to start using wellbutrin to help out with the cravings and anxiety. (has helped some and I still haven't had a cigarette)

I've felt proud that I have quit so far and pretty good physically. But, I have also been quite depressed and sad.

I haven't even told too many people that I am trying to quit once again, for fear of feeling like a failure if I don't succeed in staying smoke-free. Plus, almost all of my friends and family smoke; live-in boyfriend, too! So, this is especially tough!

Other worries I have are: gaining weight, forever wanting to smoke/ missing it, and drinking any alchohol.....

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for letting me join in this group!

God bless us all!

14 Comments
stephanie4u10

My concern for my weight has sabotoged many a quit.  I have come to realize that I will gain a few pounds.  I can turn around and loose what I gained by modifying my lifestyle once I have the hang of being an ex-smoker.  It's easier to loose a few pounds than carry around an oxygen tank that adds more weight to ya 😉  As for the depression, Wellbutrin is an antidepressant so being on it is the best thing for you but it's not going to lift your mood instantly.  You will feel a difference after about a month and a half.  The biggest thing is just not to take another puff. All of the other concerns will iron themselves out once you have a firm footing  ((((HUGS))))  Have a beautiful smoke free day! 

breathe-free

Hi Shelby and welcome....I am on my Day 12 and this is a fabulous place to get and give support.  There are alot of Ex's that have some time and are willing to share their wisdom with us.  I am not using anything (NRT) , but some folks do and other things doctors prescribe that seem helpful.  I am sticking really tight to this site.   I am not depressed , but have hit a couple of tough spots....and felt depressed at the time and scared and reached out to some people on this site that helped me get through what felt like a crisis.....without a smoke.   I learned some valuable things about myself and the quit process that I know will help me now and in the future.  Hope you stay with us.....I feel better about myself, breathe better..smell better....looking forward to more good from the quit!!!   If you want invite me as a friend and we can do this together.  Carolyn

_m_11

Hi Shelby.  Welcome Teresa has given you some great links. Also read Alan Carr's book - "the easy way".

You CAN do it.  NOPE.  Not one puff ever.  Take care, M

sander

Welcome Shelby!   You've come o a great place for help,

I can only answer for myself, but we all have different reactions to our quits. (gaining weight...I've gained about 3lb in 51 days and I try to keep my munching on the healthy side, carrots, popcorn  crunchy foods) ,

forever wanting to smoke... I don't know about forever, but from time to time I still want a smoke.  However, as each day passes the amount of time I crave is generally less, and less.   There are occasional bad days that you will have to get through that happen to pop up now and then, and try to bite you in the butt, but 🙂 just get through them.   There is light on the other side of the tunnel.    

drinking any alcohol.....  for me this has not been too bad.   BUT, since alcohol lowers you ihibitions, you may be more inclined to say screw it....I want a smoke.   So unless you are sure you are ready to deal with that, you may want to keep the drinks to a minimum.

We here, wish you all the best  (no JC, I didn't say luck)  inside joke here.  Come, blog , rant and rave, and you will find help.   Take care!

jojo29

HI THERE,WELCOME TO THIS SITE AND THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE TO BE, SOOO AS FOR WEIGHT, DONT WORRY TO MUCH WITH THAT AS MUCH AS SMOKIN, BUT IF U EXCERSIE,THAT WILL HELP U WITH WEIGHT,AS FOR DRINKIN, WELL,I WAITED A WHILE WITH THAT, I JUST WENT YESTERDAY IN FACT TO HAPPY HR I WAS GOOD, I WENT LAST WK TO A REUNION TO, I HAD A FEW DRINKS WITH NO SMOKING, EVENTUALLY U WONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, MY ADVICE, USE A STRAW,THATS RIGHT A PLASTIC STRAW AND SUCK IN AIR, U GET DEEP BREATHING EXCERSIES AND U RELEIVE THE URGE FOR SMOKIN ITS A 2 IN ONE DEAL LMAO I BBEN THERE DONE THAT, IT GOT ME THREW MANY HARD DAYS, TRY YOGA, ITS A STRESS RELEIEVER ALSO AND IS GOOD FOR ENERGY, I LUV IT, THE DEPPRESSION THING WILL GO AWAY, U CAN DO THIS, TRUST ME, IM SMOKE FREE NOW 113 DAYS, AND I SMOKED 40 YRS, SO IT CAN BE DONE, I WENT COLD TURKEY BUT SOME PPL NEED THE PATCHES AND OTHER STUFF TO HELP THEM ALONG,WHATEVER WORKS RIGHT. :))  JUST DONT BE AFRAID OF THE QUIT, BE MORE AFRAID OF WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF U DONT QUIT :)) SORRY FOR BEING BLUNT BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS,I WAITED AND HAVE STAGE 4 COPD WITH EMPHYSEMA, RELI SUCKS WEN U CANT BREATH, ANYWAY, HOP ON HERE WEN U FIND A TUFF SPOT AND SOMEONE IS ALMOST ALWAYS HERE TO HELP U THREW. DONT WORRY,BREATH RELAX AND LET GOOOOO, STAY STRONG AND U WILL MAKE IT, JOANNE SMOKEFREE 113 DAYS AND STILL GOIN STRONG AFTER SMOKIN 40 FREAKIN LONG YRS 2-3 PKS ADAY. :))

Strudel
Hi Shelby and welcome to the site! Congrats on your quit! You have come to the right place! I also used Welbutrin - I quit 8 months ago after 40 years ago of smoking! I feel great! I really liked the site http://quitsmokingonline.com and Allen Carr's book (see link for free download on my page)..... Both really helped to get my mind in the right place. Plus this site helped a lot! I think the Welbutrin helps with the weight thing too.....I initially lost some weight - and then gained it back - but ended up where I started which was okay. (I'd now like to lose 10 pounds - but those are pounds I had before I quit!) You can do this - stick around!
shood

So glad I decided to introduce myself here! Thank you all so very much for your kind and helpful words! I think I will be using this site much more now that I know how awesome all you guys are! 🙂

Yaya2.6.10

Hooray for your Quit and welcome to this site.  I would encourage you to spread the word far and wide that you are Quitting.  I did that is time and got support where I didn't expect it and was way too proud to fail in front of all those folks.  I also Quit on February 6, but it was 2010 and I am one year and some days.  You can do this too.

Debi12

Hi Sheby - When I decided to quit this time, I remember hearing myself announce to my husband that I didn't care if I gained weight --- I wasn't gonna let a few pounds stop me.   I also told everyone I could about the fact that I was quitting.  I knew I was serious once I did that. 

Welcome ------ You can do it!!!!

One day at a time

_m_11

Hello again.

After I posted a comment, I started looking for an older post that may help you honor your quite  It was posted the same day you went cold turkey.  Sorry, I don't know how to set up a link to an older post. You may want to check out this older post, it could help you honor your quit. 

The Ex member ckoalaco.  The date of post  wast 2/6/11. The name of post  was Oh well ... I tired.   

You CAN do it, M

mfurg

Hey Shelby, welcome!! This site has been simply amazing... Congrats on how far you have come already 🙂 🙂  That is a major accomplishment, and you should be proud! I am on my 11th day, and I completely feel ya... When I have a day off of work, I feel completely lost at times and don't know what I should be doing, and at times become down.  I wouldn't say it is depression the way it may be with you, but have gotten great advice from this site.  It was explained to me that our bodies are going through a lot of changes since we have quit (I sound like I am explaining puberty, haha 😉  Also, our lives are so different now, and when we used to be bored or have down time, we would fill that time with smoking.  I think it's about sitting down and figuring out things that you have wanted to do or are interested in.  On maybe my 3rd day of quitting, I went down to the river on a nice day that I had off of work, and just breathed in the air.  It was one of those moments I was walking around aimlessly not knowing what I was supposed to be doing.  As for the weight issue, maybe joining a gym or making it a point to go walking in the evening  will ease that anxiety.  I am one to talk seeing that I have 'talked' but not 'done' yet.  It may happen, so be gentle on yourself. But just think of how good food is going to taste again 🙂     And the alcohol, I am having wine right now.... Granted, I am using the patches and that has helped, but I love my evening wine, and I figure better just learn how to enjoy a glass now without cigarettes.  I know everyone is so happy that you are here.  It really has made all of the difference in my quit personally.  You CAN do this.  Like 'm', I also read a book by Allen Carr called "I Quit".  If you have an Iphone, you can download it for $3... It really puts things in a new light.  Educate yourself, read, and get your butt on this site as much as you need to to feed your motivation.... 🙂 🙂 🙂

Mandy

lynette9

Hey, Shelby, Welcome!

You have lots of homework to do and plans to make. Ensuring our successful quit requires we put some work into it..,,

I'm the resident Jewish Mama who will scold you and make sure you're doing your studies! 😉

You can do this! And lots of good folks here to help you!

Just keep on, keeping on!

lynette9

BTW, if you fill out your "My Page" profile it will help us to support you.

I, too, quit with just Wellbutrin. I think I'm doing better but am still more emotional than usual.

Frustratingly so!

Anyway, welcome again!

TL_3

Amen... 

I agree with all that has been written.   We all have our own cope strategy.   Some walk... Great idea by the way.  Some play on line games.   I try to do math in my head....  I am not any sort of brain guy at all, so it is pretty simple for sure.   But you have to find that trigger to use in place of the desire to go smoke.   You are doing awesome...  let others know what you are doing..not so that they feel they have to try to quit, but so they know why you are doing and acting the way you are.  If they feel the need to excuse themselves to have a smoke, then all the better.   You would not expect any other addict to sit in a room and watch others consume the drug of choice... no different for you.    Personally i am doing all I can to avoid situations where I will be around smokers.   For a while at least.   Again, it is mental and you do what you have to do...  the physical demons go away, it is the mental and habitual demons you have to fight now.    Warm wishes and prayers to you.   I look forward to hearing of your progress..... Just as i will keep sharing mine (approaching 2 weeks now)