cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Wisdom of our Elders

breathe-free
0 12 17

Just had a great visit with my Mom.  I have been blessed to have a mother whom everyone loves because she has that kind of spirit that just loves and doesn't judge.   My Grandmother (her mother) died of emphysema and other smoking related diseases.  My Mom is still sad to this day that her mother died an earlier death than necessary because of smoking.  My Mom told me on this visit that my Grandmother told her it was the last "pleasure" she had in life.......she could barely walk across a room, but she still smoked.  ADDICTION

My Mom has told me these things before when I was smoking....but I can tell you I had a "wall" to protect myself and my right to smoke.....so didn't really emphathize with my beautiful Mom until now.  I didn't WANT to hear the truth about the results of smoking and understood in a sick way...why Ma Ma was smoking when she could barely walk across the room.   Now when she tells me this story it means so much more.....

The last thing my Mom said when she was leaving to go home yesterday was ....you stay close to that site!!  I will listen to her....Her wisdom.....telling me to do whatever I had to NOT TO SMOKE was the permission I needed to get through the really tough cravings!   It was the spring board of the calls I made and the panic stricken messages I sent to a few trusted folks on this site when I felt like I was "drowning" with cravings. 

My Mom has been victorious with a few battles of her own....she is a breast cancer survivor.....Heck she survived (3) teenagersin the house all at once and an alcoholic husband!!! 

She is an Earth Angel to me and I love her so much....I would never want to disappoint her with picking up a cig and sticking it to my face again!!  

Just felt like sharing this blessing with all of you today!!!  I will keep sharing her wisdom as it comes!

Breathe Free

12 Comments