cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Why do I feel like...............Is this the day that I really want to start?"

shelly71
0 6 92

I know that I haven't been here for a while, but I am telling you, I feel like I am going stir crazy without a cigarette.  I think that I have figured one of my biggest culprits............."HOME!"  My cravings are at its peak and at its worst when I am home.... I can be in the car, at work, at church, anywhere in America, but when I get home, I feel like an insane person!  This is where I finally can let my hair down and relax and this is the place that the urge whips me the most. It doesn't matter what activity I am involved in.  I haven't started gnawing on the pillows and floor boards yet, but i at a lost.  I won't lie, I started to give in yesterday. The smell of smoke when people are outside smoking - makes me wanna gag......

One Love

6 Comments
pir8fan

Remember that feeling you had as a child the first time the adults left you home alone? That feeling that you could do anything, and nobody would know? I think that feeling is a strong memory for most of us! Well the truth of the matter is that as an adult you can do whatever you want in your home and nobody has to know!

However as an adult you must realize that there are consequences to every action! Shelly, you can beat this addiction by simply not giving in to it! Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching! You get to chose what you do! But ask yourself one simple question! Do you really want to be a nasty, stinking, drug addict? I don't think so! You can do this, and we will help!

shelly71

OMG!  Nasty, Stinking, Drug Addict?  No I don't! But I never smelled like smoke even when being around non-smokers. Not that I pride myself in compliments, but I recieved them because they knew I was a smoker that didnt smell like it. And my teeth are pearly white.   But I got your point.  REAAaaaaaaaally got your point! LOL!  I have basically made it a point to stay out of the house as much as possible since that was my comfort zone with cigarettes. When I think of all the hours that I am not smoking those few hours that I was seem like an eternity.........It is just Saturday, Wednesday was my start date and the future is the beginning.

One Love

exhale

WOW SHELLY! I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I COULD STAY OUT ALL DAY AND NOT HAVE A CIGARETTE, BUT SOON AS I GET HOME, THATS WHEN I HAD TO SMOKE. I COULDN'T WAIT TO WALK THRU THE DOOR SO THAT  I COULD GO IN THE BACK YARD AND LIGHT UP CUZ, I DIDN'T SMOKE IN THE HOUSE. LIKE YOU, I LET MY HAIR DOWN AND WAS SOO RELAXED. I JUST GOT TIRED OF LETTING THE CIGARETTES DEFEAT ME. I GOT TIRED OF WASHING MY HANDS LIKE CRAZY TRYING TO GET THE SMELL OFF OF MY HANDS. I WASHED MY HANDS SOO MUCH, THEY WERE BECOMING VERY DRY. NOW I HAVE BEEN AN EX FOR 56 DAYS. I STOPPED COLD TURKEY AND I FEEL WONDERFUL. ITS A STRUGGLE SOMETIMES, BUT I STILL FORGE AHEAD AND STAY FOCUSED. ITS NOT EASY BUT ITS DOABLE AND GIRL YOU CAN DO IT ALSO!!!!!

bella65
I kinda agree weekends were rough during the week im fine.but it does get easier stay busy and focused at home and it will get better pick up a new hobbies that helps to:)congrats on quiting
shelly71

INot trying to be negative or in denial, and I'm not going to carry this on forever, and if you say so - so be it!  You may know better than I. All of the people that I am around are blunt, curt, almost rude people, when they tell you something, they mean it. And at work I have never been reprimanded for stench like others that i work with... We have client surveys that asks about the negative aspects of the assistants that work with them and I haven't gotten that report yet in four years and don't plan to get it.

I got up and got out of the house to curb my nicotine appetite.  So far so good. It is like I have read before--sleep is good.  I do seem to want to nap a little more and if that keeps me from going bonkers, i will keep that in my program.

I did download the book and have read some of it. Since I don't have a cigarette to smoke, I will read. ( another great suggestion)   I will keep everyone posted and I want to say 'CONGRATUALTIONS TO EVERYONE!"................One Love

JonesCarpeDiem

I went out all day every day for my first two weeks and played guitar and sang at a friends house. That kept me distracted.

I also stayed in alot at night to keep from going by the store where I bought cigarettes. It was right at the exit of our little subdivision. LOL