cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

When will I feel like a nonsmoker?

faiyth
0 14 2

So, here I am 65 days smoke free.  My husband and I went on the Champix program and we finished taking them about a week ago.  Champix is amazing in that it really does take away the cravings for nicotine but now that we are done, I feel like mama bird just pushed me out of the nest and I have to try and fly by myself.  It's a weird feeling because even though I am not craving the nicotine, I still want a cigarette.

What I would like to know is when will I start to feel  like a nonsmoker?  Right now I just feel like a smoker who hasn't had a cigarette in 2 months.  Someone please tell me that day will come when I can say I'm a nonsmoker and mean it!

If it wasn't for my incentive plan, I might have gone back to smoking already.  You see, we are putting away our "smoke" money every week, without fail, and in 2 years we are going to Australia.  My childhood dream come true, and I know that the second I pick up a cigarette, I can kiss my trip good bye.  So, it really comes down to what I want more .... and that is to go to Australia.  Having that to hold onto might just be what I need to succeed. 

14 Comments
newlife5

well, its like this .. how long did you smoke?...your brain did not adjust overnight...it took a while before smoking became second nature...you worked at it.. you coughed you gagged and still forced yourself to accept it... now its reverse... you crave you physically dersire it... you will now have to fight for your freedom.. it wont happen overnight... but one day you will realize that the fight is over .. you will remain smoke free forever...

that is a glorious momment... hang in there its worth it...

izzy day 343

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Have you done any of the suggested reading and educated yourself on this addiction and how to beat it.  Have you read how smoking effects your mind and your body and how many chemicals you are ingesting in each puff.  Its not just about saving money its about saving your life.  Have you visited this site often and do you even know about all of the reading material that there is?  If not I am sure an elder will come along soon and give you all of the links that you will need.  Hey, 65 days smoke free is a great feat.

Jackie

LouiseR

You are doing great.  You may have an off day here and there but hey non smokers do too.  Keep a positive attitude and keep putting that moolah away for that wonderful trip to Australia!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

It is never too late to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

You should also read up on the period of time from 2-4 months quit that we call No Mans Land.  This is a time when you may have become complacent in your quit and, seemingly out of the blue an intense crave can hit you and seem to last forever.  You might start to feel that this is taking too long and that you are tired of the effort it takes.  DON'T act on it.  These will end as suddently as they began.  Remember to distract yourself through any bad spots and you will be fine!

As a general rule, this journey takes 130 days.  At some point late in the journey, you will be surprised to discover that smoking no longer enters your mind.

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

Take the 130 Day Challenge on my page and when you get through that you have typically been through the hardest part of a quit.

JonesCarpeDiem

It actually takes a couple years to be at the safest place you can be statistically but at 130 days, you won't be remembering smoking every day. It will be more like a passing thought.

Deena-A-Yenni

Soon.  Hang in there.  Keep 'em away from your face!!

Thomas3.20.2010
When you stop wishing you could be a smoker.oney is a good incentive but FREEDOM is the real prize! Find out how to naturally increase your dopamine!
faiyth

Thank you all for your generous support.  I signed up to this website a while ago but today is the first day I participated.  Not sure why really..... but here I am.  Still trying to figure out my way around but I know I'll figure it out. 

Jackie, and Nancy I have not read any material so far and you're right; if I understood the addiction, it would be easier to beat it.  I will definately do that.  But I really do want to make one thing clear.... I did not quit to save money, that's just a perk.  I lost my mom at the beginning of this year to cancer.  By the time she was diagnosed and the time that she passed, it was only 6 weeks (after they gave her 1-2 years).  I do not want her death to be in vein and to watch someone pass away from cancer is a horrible death to watch, especially the woman that brought you into this world. 

No, I'm not quitting smoking to save money, I'm quitting smoking so that my children do not have to watch me die.  I wish that on no one.

I am already feeling so much better.  I can breathe easier, I am no longer coughing AT ALL!.  I guess if I still feel the urge to "go for a smoke" once in awhile isn't too bad.  I did smoke for 38 years afterall.

So, thank you all, I'm going to take the advice and read up on this addiction, accept the challenge and just give myself a break, sometimes I can be too hard on myself.  Then one day, I will be free without realizing it. 

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Yes and that day will be here sooner then you think! Good Job!

Jackie

linda.mustafa

Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss.

It is a journey , take it one day at a time, it's not done by a magic wand but through willingness and determination to stay smoke free every single day-It does drive me crazy sometimes how the thought of if comes up constantly even after six months but when I think of it why count the days of freedom when we never counted the days we were poisoning ourselves ?!!! I've read somewhere and I truly can't remember the source now , that even after many many years if one is picked up you end up awakening the dormant  neurones still remaining in the brain !

I too would  like to visit Australia one day, I truly hope you'll make that dream a reality!

Congratulations on your 65 days, stay focused one day at a time 🙂

All the best !

JonesCarpeDiem

the trip sounds great.

i visited for 2 weeks many years ago. the people were very nice and it has some beautiful places.

annb
65 Days is Wonderful! good job. My Deepest sympathy on the loss of your Mom. I also am grieving the loss of mine in December. It's hard sometimes in this grieving process to be grieving cigs too but it's the very best thing we can so for ourselves and to honor our Moms!!! Once you delve into the reading material you will feel better. The brain chemistry info is fascinating. We are actually "retraining" and rewiring our brains so it will take time and patience. But it happens which is a miracle!! Keep up the great work!!!
faiyth

I'm so sorry for your loss too annb.  It's a hard thing to go through but you know, my mom had a twin sister so a part of my mom is stll here.  That's comforting for me, and she quit smoking too! 

I remember when I first quit that I read somewhere that quitting smoking is like losing a loved one and the body does go through the grieving process.  I know I certainly did and still am.  But like you have all said.... one day at a time!  My husband has quit with me so we are a good support for each other.