cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What's going on????

jopiscool
0 5 15

My quit date was May 13, 2016 and I am doing pretty well...in fact I've reduced the strength of my patch and need fewer pieces of Nicoreete gum every day. I go days and days with a few urges that I usually manage easily and my profound grief at losing something that was with me all these years is started to lift.

But I seem to be able to make it only 7 to 12 days before I literally am obsessed with smoking...this is not an urge that is over with in a few minutes but an ongoing, overwhelming non-stop urge that lasts hours and hours and hours. And, it kind of comes out of nowhere. I am calling them slips because I have had 4 cigarrettes (and not even a whole one) in 6 weeks...yes, I bought a pack and threw the rest away.

In general, I am doing really well with this but I need to get over this...I am doing better than I ever have with not smoking and am committed to being a non-smoker. Any advice anyone?

5 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Try and get through 3 weeks and see how you feel. Get a straw and cut it into thirds and fiddle with that instead of a cigarette.

Nothing's making you smoke but you.

Starlite

Oh do I know how you feel, I had and still have those loooong cravings. Mine were for hours at a time and for two straight weeks - everyday, whew that was a tough time. I came to this site a lot! I read, re-read, asked for help- took the advice of the EXer's here, prayed and prayed and am still smoke free-by the skin of my teeth so to speak (what does that mean anyway and whose teeth has skin, lol). I took/take a lot of slow deep breaths, use tooth picks and cough drops and keep praying. I think exercise is key with lots of water, but I am not able to exercise becasue of an on-going injury, but I do my best. Encouraging you to Keep on with your quit and don't give up - it is a struggle, but like the Exer's say it does get better, easier and tho it is difficult, it is not impossible. It is doable. N.O.P.E. Keep on being a quitter. I'm  In your corner

Barbara145

My advice.  Do not permit yourself to have a puff, EVER.  That is your problem along with obsessing about cigarettes.  When the thought comes in your mind say, "  I don't do that anymore."  Say it outloud.  It is amazing how powerful those words are after a short amount of time.  You can do this.  NO MORE PUFFS !

TerrieQuit

Find things to do! Don't let those smoking thoughts hang around in your head! Just keep telling yourself NOPE!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Giulia

Advice?  Stay the course.  The fact that you say:  "my profound grief at losing something that was with me all these years" - profound grief?.. this is a cigarette you're talking about here.  It's not a human nor pet.  It's a wrapped up bunch of chemicals in a piece of paper that was killing you.  It's an addiction and a habit.  It is not a loved one.  Don't think of it as a "friend."  It was anything BUT that.

Yes, I understand your sense of loss.  But you are only losing the old part of you that smoked all the time.  Yes, it's uncomfortable.  Yes it feels awful.  Yes we don't know what to do without a cigarette in our hands.  Because we did it ALL DAY LONG.

You're still suffering, I think, because you still haven't given it up in your head.  Given up that "old friend."  There's a part of you that wants SO MUCH to be able to go back to that seeming comfort, reliability, "enjoyment." 

You made a choice.  A right choice.  You chose to stop smoking.  Embrace it.  Don't rue it.  You still aren't sure that this was the best decision.  Am I wrong? 

When you KNOW that this is what you want.  NOTHING will keep you from it.  And more than that - you will be more able to shrug off the cravings.  It's the waffling effect that drives us crazy.  Commitment with no "ifs" nor "buts" alleviates a whole bunch of that mental back and forth. 

A lot of us come into this process kicking and screaming.  Of course.  We're addicted.  But once you understand that it's an addiction and nothing more - the mind games become less impactful. 

You in this?  Or... not?  How strong IS your commitment?