cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What is/was the most difficult part of quitting smoking for you? What did you do to get through?

JonesCarpeDiem
2 6 24

For me, it was getting my mind off of it.

The way I got through?

My third day I realized smoking was a choice and it made me laugh. From then on, when I got the urge to smoke, I laughed. After a week I automatically laughed first, not even thinking of smoking.

I joined a website two weeks after I quit smoking when I stopped using the patch.

6 Comments
Daniela2016

I agree, day 60 and still think about it several times a day!  Really looking forward to pass NML, hoping this constant thinking about it will go away...

Best remedy, deep breathing, and walking around.  Standing up, finding something else to do, and inhaling deeply, clean air (well as clean as Arizona grants us), several times, while walking away from the spot I started thinking about smoking...

Daniela

TerrieQuit

I couldn't keep my mind off of smoking, either and it was for a lot longer than 3 days. How I got through was moving from seat to seat, room to room, sometimes going outside or for a walk, or cleaning something. I had to keep moving to keep my mind occupied with other things. I also did a lot of self-talk.

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

tjanddj

I think for me too it was just the thoughts of smoking, or the feeling it is time for a cigarette whether I had a craving for one or not. The craving didn't matter it was the situation that made you think it was time for a cigarette. I didn't have a lot of cravings but I had a lot of moments that the situation called for a cigarette and would automaticly get up to have a cigarette and stop myself thinking what??? I didn't even feel the need for a cigarette but I was getting up to go have one. When I found myself in that position I used those moments to do something different I did not go back to the task I was doing because obviously it was the thing for that moment that trigger the thought that it was time for a cigarette. Sometimes I had several different task going on but I worked. I was so grateful when those thoughts started fading away, peace began to settle in my mind. 

ladystormy

The hardest part in quitting smoking is cleaning up clothes that has the smokey smell. I am disabled and taken on a big project of quiting smoking. I am strong I will survive.

elvan

The thoughts of smoking were relentless at the beginning but, seriously, I prayed for the mental obsession to be removed.  I ate a LOT of Sour Patch kids, drank gallons of water. went for walks, came here over and over again every single day.  I remember reading about how you laughed and I tried that but I was a lot more likely to cry in the early days.  

MarilynH

Stress was my downfall, so I did alot of EXtra housework and baking and if the cravings got too bad, I used your mantra I don't do that anymore and would give my head a shake while saying it and continue on with whatever I was doing, thanks Dale. 

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.