cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What do we learn from our pets

Daniela2016
3 24 214

Inspired by Belle's post with pics of our pets, here is the Alphabet game I am suggesting for this weekend: what are we learning from them? 

Because even if governed by instinct, our animals seem to take on some of our qualities/behavior.  In exchange they are constantly teaching us, human beings, some of their qualities.  And some of these have been helping me become a better person, and becoming an EX was one step towards becoming that.

Affection my heart fills with gratitude when they are coming close to rest on my lap and purr, or to roll around and give me the belly to rub, or when one goes to sleep against my leg, just to feel me close.

Tags (1)
24 Comments
MarilynH

My Sam helps me to be my BEST in everything I do because I know she   Believes in me.

20180925_182407.jpg

IrishRose

Barker My Abby warns me of danger, blades of grass growing faster than others, crickets in the house, and I know that she would protect me with her life if it came down to it.

Abby 1.JPG

Irish Rose 

minihorses

Calming: Everytime I feel low there is always at least one cat will sense it and come for some cuddles. the ducks are always good for a laugh, and little miss in the pasture is a little love bug even if she has an attitude on. Even the birds coming to the feeders are just as quieting to the soul.

Daniela2016

Dedication: When they came into our house I was the main provider: food, walks, sleep.  They built a hierarchy in the house; and I am the lucky recipient of number 1; they are dedicated to watch me any moment I am home, and are pretty upset when I get from under their control, and very happy when I come home.  If I am not home, someone else in the house becomes number 1, they are following, protecting, watching.

JonesCarpeDiem

Cleaning up. 

AnnetteMM

I have a stupid parakeet. I guess he has ENERGY. Yeah?

MarilynH

My Samantha helps ME to keep my Fanny moving by letting her in and out 20 times a day. 

Daniela2016

They help me be Funny, make faces, act silly at play time; that always brings smiles to our faces!

Barbscloud

Gratitude for having them in my life and giving me their unconditional love.

Daniela2016

Harmony in the household.  We've learned we can't have an argument in front of our pets; if we did, they would sit down and look up at us, as to say " stop it, that is not right, we don't like it".

IrishRose

Intuition   Our furbuddies are born with it, just like us.  They fine tune their intuition as they age, but we conform to society, losing our natural ability to be survivors in life.  Thus, we pick up stupid addictions like smoking. 

Irish Rose 

Daniela2016

They teach us the Joy to be alive, to play and walk, and they bring us joy every minute we spend with them!

IrishRose

You learn that it's ok to get a sloppy lick from your furbuddy, because that is their way of giving you a KISS in great appreciation for your KINDNESS with the simple, little things you do for them, like a little scratch behind their ears. 

Daniela2016

Love, unconditional love that is, they are always showing it when they see us, no matter we were gone for long hours, or they were walked or watch by someone else.  The love us as we are and we can't do anything else, but love in exchange.

KMC56

Kum ba ya, ya'all! I'm hoping the zen vibes are from us peoples!!!

Our home has always been a home of love!!

20180930_233525.jpg

minihorses

When someone asks me what I do for a living I always say "I'm a professional manure manager"!

Barbscloud

Wonderful Memories of all the pets that have been in our lives.   They're still missed.

KMC56

Oh these two are still with us...there's a rag doll somewhere...his job is to just look pretty and judgemental! Walter, the Siamese...this is his 2nd Black Lab...he's sooo happy!

Daniela2016

They teach us Nurturing; one of my kitties, her whole life, she cleaned her sis, always curled near her, just to make sure Miss Princess was beautiful and safe.

indingrl

MY cat smokey - she was dark gray in color with green eyes - taught OUR family unconditional love-I still miss her!

Daniela2016

Obedience, they show it when/if we train them, but they definitely want to please us, even if they are not obedient at all times.  Speaking about dogs. "Oh, I don't really care, leave me a message" was normally the response I got from my cat.

Has any of you been able to train your cats to come to you, because in the 19 years I had them, I never knew what I was getting, they will come sometimes, other times they totally ignored me

Daniela2016

The puppy boy taught me Perseverance with my failed attempts to potty train him.  He is 11, we replace all the carpet in the house with tile/laminate, we replaced all the living room furniture with leather/leatherette, whatever material, has to be easy to clean, half the time he'll go out and potty, when we are not watching, he is marking whatever corner sounds good to him.  

IrishRose

I've learned to truly enjoy the QUIET moments when my puppy beast Abby is pressed up against me sleeping and not barking.  I call her my puppy beast because she weighs in at 120 pounds. 

Daniela2016

I learned Resilience, from my puppy girl (she'll always be a girl, even next March when she'll turn 14).

Nearly 2 years ago she was diagnosed and operated to remove a melanoma from her palate.  We were given 6 months at the best, but some how she is still with us.  Charlotte's web is the only thing I am giving her, and she is full of energy and joy, and forces me to play with her and hope despite all odds.