cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What do u think???

ms.kmartinez79
0 19 97
So I had to quit the patches. They gave me a severe rash no matter where I put it. But especially on the abdomen and chest! I have taken all the pain and irritation I can take! (17 days). It has now been 21 days total with the last 4 being completely nicotine free! I feel like I am going to go back to smoking if I don't do something soon! So my question is what are your thoughts on nicotine free hookah pens? I think this might be an option for me since I can't use the patches and the gum is way gross! I'm honestly afraid to take chantix. So I think this might work!
19 Comments
candylance

If you've gone the last 4 days w/o nicotine, it is all out of your systm. It takes 72 hours for most nicotine to be out of your system. Now you need to get rid of the habit, hand to mouth. PLEASE don't use anything "Hookah"!! It's just another smoking device to get your money, and you're still going hand to mouth,inhale, exhale, hand down.Please come here amd blog, blog, blog. Have you educated yourself on nicotine addiction?  Just stop it, right now. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

www.whyquit.com

Candy     d202

trudyd

I don't feel energized and happy but I knew I had to quit because it made me ill.I sleep alot too it helps pass the time and gets me the rest I need to aid my quit.I smoked 46 years and wished I would have had the willingness to quit when I was your age.I read the book by Allen Carr he has alot of good ideas.I know alot of people who use the electronic cigarette but after 57 days without a smoke it's the physical motions of smoking I miss not the nicotine.I set short term goals a day at a time because all u need to do is get thru one day and gradually they build up.Good luck and take care!

ms.kmartinez79
Thanks for your thoughts candy! I have read up on nicotine addiction! I find its not the nicotine I am missing or craving but the inhaling and exhalation. I try deep breathing but that doesn't seem to work just makes me extremely light headed!
ms.kmartinez79
Trudyd thanks for your thoughts as well! I feel the same way I am just starting to have a ligher mood not what I would call excited but getting there I'm still sleepy but not sleeping all day. This is my first quit and I've read that almost everyone fails the first attempt ...while that could be a great excuse to give in now, I want to succeed! I am looking into a nicotine free hookah or e-cig. For those extreme cravings.
JonesCarpeDiem

The cravings to inhale and exhale don't demand but only suggest you imitate smoking. It is a memory. It is the most difficult thing about smoking to give up because we've done it for so long but it is not required. You can't unlearn something by continuing to do it.

Forget the excuse that people don;t make it on their first quit. It is from the same propaganda pool that has inspired so many to fail over and over and over. Many of us here quit the first time.

msgardengirl320

Sounds like you are using the statistics as a very strong excuse for failing at your quit this time around. You have already gotten the nicotine out of your system so that's a good thing. The only way to get rid of the hand-mouth-inhaling habit is NOT to add the ecig or anything remotely similar. You are just continuing to feed that part of the addiction. You have to get past the habitual motions of you are going to be free  of it all. You have gotten such a great start on your quit, don't blow it now by falling prey to the average numbeer of tries to be successful. It really is a cop-out!

linda258

I'm on my first quit and now at day 135..... You Can Do This... But, you have to start telling yourself you want to make it all the way.  The addiction is talking to you .. the fear that you cannont do this without something to back you up is the addiction.  I went cold turkey and like Candy said the nicotine is gone..... but it takes time for your brain cells and the habit.

Hang in there .. you can do this!

Courage

Agree with everyone above and read carefully as some hookah pens do, in fact, have nicotine.  You've already gone through four days of not smoking, why not congratulate yourself on being a non-smoker!? Stay strong, it's just your mind doing this now.  It's a matter of reporgraming yourself. 

Sick-of-it

Those vapor things scare me....we had one before I quit, thinking it safer than smoking and that thing....choked me every time it tried it, my husband had the same experience.  So my theory is that it must be going deeper into the lungs.  A lot of older smokers that try the vapor cigs.  End up in the hospital with pneumonia.

LouiseR

Do not go back to smoking.  21 days smoke free is awesome.  It is so normal to feel up and down but you will level off.  The nicotine is out of your system now.  Don't talk yourself into smoking.  Repeat over and over YOU ARE NOT A SMOKER ANYMORE!!

JRC

First of all 21 days is awesome!!! Second of all you"re nicotine free!!! It seems to me that by using an ecig or hookah pen you are keeping thoughts of smoking alive in your brain. Do you have a list of distractions that you can use when the thought of smoking appears? It does get better. There just isn't any "magic pill".

Keep adding the days!! You can do this!!!

Polynha

I tried the patch once long time ago and it gave me a rash too. You are free of nicotine already, you do not need anything anymore, just distract yourself, keep busy and no matter how bad you crave a cigarret remember that smoking is not an option anymore. You can do it! Congratulations on 21 days! AWESOME!

ms.kmartinez79
Thanks for all your thoughts and input! I think I can do without the hookah pen. I haven't reseached it enough to see the side effects and all. My cousin was telling me how she quit by using that. And so I wondered what you all thought. Thanks again!
cheyenne7

Hang in there!!!  You can do thisl.....you ARE doing this!!!

My stomach was in knots reading your blog....I could just feel what you were going thru in your head...Look, there are times that we may feel like we are going to smoke, I know what you are saying all too well....but this will pass, pls never give in to the monster-nicotine....coming here was the best thing you could of done....you will win this!!

JUST DON'T SMOKE....YOU DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO GO BACK TO DAY ONE....SO KEEP PUSHING FORWARD....YOU ARE A NON-SMOKER....YAY!!!

I'm so proud of you for keeping your quit : )

cheyenne7

I forgot to add --- invest in lollipops : ))

ms.kmartinez79
Thank you Cheyenne! You are always so positive and supportive! I have had a lot of close calls these last 4 days. I don't want to start over and am doing all I can to stay on the path. If I wasn't so shy I think I would have lost my 21 days this weekend! I will invest in lollipops! 🙂
OldBones-Larry

Hookah pens and e-cigs give off heavy metal fragments as a by-product of vaporizing. I am sure it was Thomas that posted a blog concerning them a while back. Your choice, but I wouldn't use one!!!

Larry the Caravan Master

Chris265

You’ve come so far – don’t blow it now.  I was also allergic to the patches.  And the first day without a patch  was a killer.  But you have already gotten through 4 (or 5) days now.  I did a lot of brisk walking in the beginning, along with DumDum lollipops, carrot sticks and celery stalks.  Cinamon sticks too.  It does get easier.  And soon you will realize that you are having “thoughts” about cigarettes and not craves.  Keep doing it!

tinkerbell23
Don't give up no your quit you come so far . Why throw it all away . Have you tried the lozenges Or chantix ? Smoking is not the answer !!! Don't give in so quick if you grave bite into a lemon it will help or try chewing gum hard candy . Chew on a straw anything as long as you don't light up. And read read lots that will help you as well good luck !!! Tinkerbell 1/10/2013