cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What about meds?

laurabaz
0 10 134

I am seeking feedback from all of you regarding taking Chiantix when one has a history of anxiety and depression and is already on Wellbutrin and Zoloft.  My doctor me the prescription feeling that I would be okay with it but I have since heard some horror stories about what Chiantix can do for people with a history of emotional struggles.  Any feedback would be so appreciated.

10 Comments
Sootie

Laura--- I have no experience to share with you only this----your doctor (if he/seh knows you and your history) is the best person to know what you should and shouldn't take---certainly much more than anyone else's experience. After all---everyone's body chemistry is different. My husband took chantix with no problem but he also had no history of depression. He stayed in touch with our doctor very closely throughout anyway and went off when told to.

Sootie

Laura--- I have no experience to share with you only this----your doctor (if he/seh knows you and your history) is the best person to know what you should and shouldn't take---certainly much more than anyone else's experience. After all---everyone's body chemistry is different. My husband took chantix with no problem but he also had no history of depression. He stayed in touch with our doctor very closely throughout anyway and went off when told to.

Susan24

Hi Laura - I took Chantix for about 6 months.  My husband took it for about 9 months.  Both my sister in law and brother in law took it for about a year.  All four of us have successfully quit smoking.. I quit about 7 months ago and the others quit over a year ago.  I had some side effects from the meds but it was mostly gastroentestinal.  My husband had fewer side effects.  BUT, we both commented on how happy we were to be rid of the drug when we stopped taking it.  Somehow I just did not feel "right" taking it.  Although I smoked for over 36 years and being without cigs was huge so I don't know if it was the Chantix or the newness of not smoking.  Either way, it is a miracle drug and all four of us feel that we would not have been able to quit smoking if we did not take Chantix.

maureen15

Laura, I have heard mixed reviews also, although I have never tried it myself.  Unfortunetly you won't know how it will effect you until you have tried it.  It sounds like you've got concerns and to help you to feel more comfortable if you chose to take it, would it be possible to be monitored by a psych professional while taking all your meds and maybe go for counsiling also?  It might be a good idea to be closely monitored if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind.   I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.   

nosmokegirl

My primary care doctor told me that since i was border line bi polar and taking cymbalta that it would not be a good  plan for me to take chantix.  My husband has taken it and says that it definitely gives him crazy dreams. This is facts from us.  Good luck though on your decision.

tina81

There have been warnings about it causing depression and psychosis, but just because you have a history, doesn't mean it will make you worse. Juts ve aware and if you start to feel worse psychiatrically or in any way suicidal stop taking it and call your dr. It made me sooo sick, I was bitter. I wanted it to work. I am doing the gum instead and have almost 6 weeks in.

Good luck. ( I also have anxietry and while I only took it for about a week, my anxiety didn't get worse) just puked my guts out and had bad headaches!!

onelasttime

I took it with a anti depressant I only took it for three week then went off I didn't care for the feeling it gave me but I quit smoking  it was well worth feeling a little out of sorts for a few weeks. Some people say they feel that when they quit smoking so I don't know if it was the meds or nic withdrawl. I would listen to my doc he knows what you can use together if you have problems stop the meds and go back. I suffer from several different mental proplem not nuts anxiety depression bi polar wich is all under control now.Ihope you give it a chance and just keep a close watch on you emothional state. It really is a mircle drug for us who just can't do the cold turkey thing..have a blessed day. Deb

Yaya2.6.10

I took it for 2 months and am still on a reduced dosage.  I had extreme edginess and anger as well as intestinal distress.  Both of those things got slightly better as I have decreased the dosage.  However, I honestly don't know how much was the fault of The Quit, Chantix, or the stuff going on in my life at the time.  My sister took it for 3 months and she has a long history of depression and is on meds.  She was glad to get off but is sure it enabled her to Quit and that it didn't make a difference in her mental state.  I like the idea of being monitored by a psych professional who understands the drugs.  Most primary care docs don't have the time to know all the meds and don't totally listen to their patients.  Mine is still insisting that I need to stay on full dose of Chantix for a year cuz I smoked for so long.  I feel better with the decreased dosage and feel that being on this site and being armed with knowledge is helping me as much as the drugs. 

geminigypsylady

Hi Laura! I don't suffer from depression but I have been on Chantix since Jan.  I had heard the horror stories about it and was afraid to try it but my doc. advised if I experienced ill effects I could stop the med and side effects would go away.  So I decided to try it and it has worked wonders.   I used Chantix to first reduce my cig consumption and then quit.  Currently I'm taking 1/2 mg. a day and I am down to my last 5 doses so by this weekend I'll be totally off the med.  In the 4 months I've taken the drug I have not noticed any side effects physical or mental.   

I'm 52 y/o, smoked for 37 years and I've been smoke free 74 days.  Quitting has been way easier than I ever imagined and I feel its was because of Chantix.  It worked for me, maybe it could work for you.  You'll never know until you try...*smiles*

Good luck!  

ali2

Just know that no one here is a DR. People are sharing their experience only. I can tell you that when I tried ity and I have your issues as well......it did not work and I felt depressed and very sad right away. The depression got deep and was hard to get out of. BUT I am not a DR and this was my experience. I wish you the best of luck with this decision.