cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What a mess I'm in

tiffany67
0 5 25

Missed my quit date (2/13/15). I don't think I was as well prepared mentally as what I should have been or perhaps thought I was. One week later I'm in my doctor's office with a cold so severe that I was certain it had to be pneumonia or the flu. Haven't felt that bad in a long time. She ended our visit with "Don't smoke - it's not worth it". Feeling as awful as I did I vowed not to smoke again. I was going cold turkey! No NRT at home & too ill to go get something.  Well that lasted for 2.5 days,  for most of which I was in bed waiting for the body aches, etc. to diminish and getting the sleep my body needed to improve. Once I started to feel a little better the craving hit me. Really bad & lasted for over an hour. As hard as I tried nothing I did to preoccupy myself made it go away. So I gave in & had a cigarette. The nicotine hit me like a freight train; light headed, heart pounding. I still want so desperately to quit smoking, but I don't know if I'll be able to overcome the terrible cravings. I keep telling myself others get through it & can't understand why I can't. Anyone out there that's dealt with relapse after such a short time? Does the NRT patch help more than using gum or lozenges? Also, I'm being treated for anxiety disorder. I really could use some guidance or else I won't make it through this. Thanks for listening.

5 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

the nicotine is out of your body in three days. there are symptoms of withdrawal for 2-3 weeks.

people just give up too early.

So what are you going to do? How did you get cigarettes if you couldn't get out for something else. as long as they are around, you will smoke them?

if you live with a smoker, ask them to keep their smoking and cxigarettes out of your sight for awhile.

SkyGirl

Hi, Tiffany, I sure hope you are all recovered by  now. 

Why did you have cigarettes around if you had decided to quit?  

I think you are right about not being mentally prepared enough.  It doesn't sound like you've done the recommended reading.  You have the sound of someone who just thinks that they can STOP smoking and GUT it through.   "Willpower" alone is not an effective quitting method.  We know this is true.

Why don't you put all the past attempts behind you and start over?  Start by doing the recommended reading because it will get your thinking in the place it needs to be in order to be successful.

Start with "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr.  Even if you've read it before...read it again.  Here's the link:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Then go to the homepage of EX and do the Tracking exercises and the Delaying Exercises.  They will help you "practice" quitting before you actually do quit.  Those exercises will help you plan on how to handle cravings when you quit for real.

Don't be discouraged.  You can do this, Tiffany.  We have done it.  So can you.  But you do need to do the work if you want to succeed.  Stay close to EX, make friends here, ask questions, blog often (about anything).  We have all been where you are now.

And, btw, you don't NEED to use NRTs to quit.  They can be helpful or they can be crutches.  But there is no NRT in the world that will do your quitting FOR you.  So don't rely on them and think that you can't quit without them.  After all, how did people quit before NRTs were invented?  They just quit.  And like Dale says, the nicotine is out of your system in about 72 hours.  The withdrawal usually lasts a few weeks.  You can make it hard for yourself or you can make it easier for yourself.  It will be easier if you rely on us here at EX to teach you, advise you, show you and cheer you on!

You survived the flu, kiddo.  You can survive withdrawal.  And be happy about quitting because it's the best thing you can do for your health!

xxxooo,   Sky

Thomas3.20.2010

Did you know that Nicotine Addiction causes Anxiety???

It's true! Not that the beginning part of quitting isn't stressful! But you have to push through to the other side.... You can become more prepared by reading:

The Easy Way

quitsmokingonline.com

Whyquit.com

and here, of course!

Set a date and then make it has hard as possible to get to the sickerettes! None in the house or car. Don't go to your favorite gas station or 7/1. Stay away from smokers. Until you make a 100% Commitment, you're just frustrating yourself!

freeneasy

Hi Tiffany- I used Bupropian (Wellbutrin) the patch and gum at times-some people find it difficult to go cold turkey. Talk with your doctor-bupropian may help with anxiety too. The goal is to quit. Eventually you will stop with the NRTs too. I quit without much planning-just did it and found this site and another.What works for one person does not work for all-but the goal is the same to quit smoking. Learn as much as you can about nicotine addiction. The most important thing is to make your mind up to stop smoking and stop. You are not giving up anything or making a sacrifice-you are doing the best thing possible for your health.

jdrabbit01

There is definitely a mind set you need to achieve.  The suggested readings will help to get you there.  The cravings will happen, but once you believe in your heart and mind that a cigarette will do nothing to truly make you feel better, the craving will pass.  There are difficult moments, but it does get easier.  Start reading and decide to quit.  Once you make the decision, you just keep telling yourself, "I don't do that anymore".  I am 37 days in and though I don't blog or reply often, I am on this site at least twice a day reading the blogs and replies.  Fantastic, supportive people with just an unending wealth of knowledge.