cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What a difference two years can make - Two years Smoke-Free!

Carenda
0 17 28

Two years ago, on July 17th I was antisipating being an ex-smoker.  I was going through the withdrawal stages of saying good-bye to someone or I should say something that consumed me from my teen years to my middle years.  I was 51 years old when I finally quit.  I had smoked for 34 years!  Thinking back that's a long time to continue a habit that is not doing you any good.

Two years ago my quit time was on a Saturday night (Sunday Morning) around 2 a.m.   I smoked that day and night almost non-stop.  I was so nervous because I just didn't know how I was going to make it without my cigarettes.  We were always together during my waking hours, after meals, during good times and bad.  I almost sheded tears when I lite up for the last time at 2 a.m.  I said goodbye to  my old and faithful friend.  I said a prayer for strength to continue wtth my quit.  I got up that Sunday morning made a cup of coffee and dressed for churchl  On that Sunday, our Assistant Pastor preached the sermon.  His topoc was how to let go of bad habits and addictions such as drugs, alcohol, bad relationships and cigarettes.  After church I spoke to him and told him that he preached his sermon directly to me.  I told him that I had asked for guideance at 2 a.m. to kick the habit of smoking cigarettes.  He said to me, I did not know you were a smoker let me pray for you now that you remain a non-smoker.  I will never forget him for his words of encouragement.  I felt that God sent him to deliver a message to me that the time had come for me to give up that awful habit and began living life. 

We sometimes make up excuses to continue to smoke such as. "I will gain weight."  The truth is, yes you may gain weight but you also gain a new lease on life.  I gained 15-20 lbs. and did not do anything about it the first two years of my quit.  I need to protect my quit and remain a quitter.  I just started watcing what I'm eating and exercising last month.  It's working, I have lost 5 lbs.  I have to remember that the weight did not come on at once and it won't leave at once.  These are just steps we have to go throgh to see the end results.

I am truly greatful for this site and the wonderful people who helped me along the way.  If I can be a help to anyone by giving you a word of encourgement, please stop by my page.  Thank-You friends and Thank-You to the administrators of ex who keep this site running,.  Remember to protect your quit.  It can be done.  I live in the home with a smoker.  My husband has not quit.  However, no smoking is allowed in the house or in my car.    I made a decison that quitting was too hard to have to quit again.   That's how I handle being smioke-free!

17 Comments