cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What a difference another week or two would have made

JonesCarpeDiem
6 5 91

If 94% of quitters don't stay quit for a year, how many of those just gave up a week or two before their mental breakthrough?

Quitting smoking is like playing a game AGAINST YOURSELF.

Nicotine keeps you coming back for more but, once you stop using nicotine, what makes you go back to smoking? 

IT'S THE GAME YOU PLAYED WITH YOURSELF AND LOST.

Don't make it a fight, make it a game.

Laugh when you get a craving. You can't help but stop the thought of smoking by laughing EVEN IF YOU DON'T MEAN IT because, hearing yourself laugh is a change from the thought of smoking.

DON'T GIVE UP TOO EARLY!

YOUR QUIT DEPENDS ON IT!

5 Comments
sweetplt

The Game is called “Russian Roulette”...so glad I don’t do that anymore...wishing you a good Sunday ~ Colleen 846 DOF

Maki

Does this mean 94 percent is psychological , habit , choice ,  6 percent nicotine ? 

Is making the choice to smoke or not smoke ( the habit of smoking ) the bigger addiction to slavery that we have to beat ? The want to bigger than the need to ?  Nicotene is out of our system just days after we quit smoking ( if you go cold turkey . ) 

Good post , got me thinking . Thank you . 

msterling999

Thanks Dale.

Maki - I think it is about relearning how to handle life and emotions that were buried in smoke, especially if you started smoking young. 

Dale - I agree. It is a change of mindset. It is not "giving up" or "quitting smoking." It is taking back your power.  It is taking control and owning your life and laughter is a great method.  I  needed to make it a positive and own those stray thoughts.

It is like a chess game, each win strengthens you and makes the next challenge less daunting. But how do you help newbie understand, that just wait a minute, an hour, a day, things will get better? Overcoming each urge, strengthens and teaches you to continue to reach the 6% club. To quote Robert Frost:  Only Way Out Is Through.

Maggie

JonesCarpeDiem

I think you teach them the tricks to get them there.

Like laughing, like self talk, like biting into a lemon or sticking your head in the freezer

MarilynH

Thank you Dale, our lives literally depends on us to quit smoking and stick with it no matter what is happening in our lives.....

About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.