cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What I am learning from the Allen Carr's book

jycraw
0 6 40

I am on chapter 27 - and stopped reading for a time of reflection.

The first and most powerful thing this author has made me aware of is; in my past attempts I truly have gone at the quit with the attitude of depriving myself.  I, too, have entered the quit with the feeling of being deprived, with the fear of being unable to cope and that I was making a huge sacrifice.

During my read, I have jotted down several important statements that I will contemplate during my drive tonight at work...

1). That panic feeling of wanting a cigarette is not some weakness in me, or some magic quality in the cigarette...that cigarettes do not fill a void - but rather creates the void!  AND, all you ever enjoy in a cigarette is the ending of the craving for it.

2).  It is the drug that hooked me; not the nature of my character or my personality.  It is a delusion that there is a weakness in me or that there is something inherent in that cigarette that I need. The agony is in the mind caused by doubt and uncertainty.

and 3).  I am a drug addict.  Intellectually I have always known nicotine to be a drug, but somehow Allen Carr has etched into this thick brain that I am a drug addict.....and it is the drug that makes me go back.

As mentioned, I have not finished the book, and I am still fearful of failing.  I hear myself saying...I will never again be able to smoke even one...nope - not one puff ever - and I fear failing myself.  Just like the author - I have good control of every other aspect of my life.  I have never been addicted to anything else and I (like most people) do not like to fail/ do not like to lie to themselves/ but do not want to be addicted to anything either.

6 Comments
Jim133

It sounds like you're on the right track now. You seemed a bit lost when you first got here. I remember you suggesting that you might be addicted to buying cigarettes as opposed to smoking them. I have to admit I hadn't heard that one before.

Here's a statement that has stood out in my mind:

"We don't smoke because we enjoy smoking. We smoke because we don't enjoy not smoking."

I try to remember that one every time I get a craving.

jycraw

Thanks Jim.

Let me see if I can explain why my friend's joke sounded logical to me.  He said it strickly as a joke - but his words was almost an ahh-haa moment for me...and this is why.

During the first couple days of quitting, and the cravings hit - I intellectually told myself I did not want to smoke. 

My thoughts were : No, I do not want a cigarette

The demon's thoughts in my head were:  just bum one, just find a butt, just buy a pack and wean off them, just one. And then the cravings were not "I want a cigarette" but became more of......how to get a cigarette.

The thoughts became more about how to obtain a cigarette than to SMOKE a cigarette. I battled more with not pulling into the convenience store to purchase them - than with not smoking them.

Of course, now in retrospect, I understand it was the desire for the nicotine - and my brain was trying to concentrate on getting them opposed to smoking them

- all the while knowing that if I had one I would smoke it...so it was simply a tricky way of fighting the urge while making me want one.

So I actually battled the "getting them" instead of admitting that I wanted one...just another self-lie or delusion!!!

I have read several places now, that others "think" it is a demon or an evil power inside them.  The Allen Carr book is making me aware that this is true in a sense...that demon is the drug addiction.  I am a drug addict!

Jim133

Excellent! Just don't use that "demon" as an excuse to smoke. (See my blog from yesterday.) Here's another useful argument:

Do you really want a cigarette? Or do you want the withdrawal to stop? Smoking a cigarette will not stop the withdrawal, but will only postpone it.

Buddy12

I don't know.......everyone's different, so everyone's quit will be a little different.....don't get me wrong.....I think Allen Carr's work is terrific.....but personally, I used Nicorette to quit......Allen Carr says that's a no-no, .......sorry, but it worked for me.....5 months smoke free now...... I know I'll never smoke another cigarette.....NOPE.....so when Allen Carr says to walk away from this addiction with no aid other than will power......I couldnt do it  .... I needed a NRT......

joyeuxencore

I got EXactly the same take on the book and it was the 'change in mind and perception' that propelled me into this 100 day quit.  Very well put...I am saving this blog and so should you to post to those who come after you! Congratulations on an awesome beginning here! xo

Strudel

You are an excellent student! I also got so much out of that book - after 40 years I couldn't believe what I learned as I read it! That - plus the support here did it for me!! The prep work will pay off!