cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

What??? Dr. your telling me I’m having a Heart attack?

lydiadavis1950
2 18 322

This is my second participation with EX.  The last time, my motivation ran out and I went backwards and relapsed. My chest pains kept coming, but then leaving this time around so I thought it was Acid Reflux. It was not. Dr said the Artery called “ The Widow Maker “ was 99% blocked by plack buildup. I was lucky, he said…the Artery closed up on him.Completely. He told me I would’ve had a Massive heart attack at home and not have reached the ER for anyone to do anything good. He put a stint in. This time around he didn’t need to tell me to stop smoking. I am so happy to be alive. I’m happy all the time, even with strangers.  But, But, But I still have pretty strong cravings. It’s like my nicotine addictive mind screams, I want just one! My mouth also misses it!  What, wait, reflect, ignor this demon bastarded. I’m not ready to die, right now. Or even in the near future. I HAVE A BUCKET LIST!!! And it’s going to take some money …serious money, cigarette money. 😝

Tags (1)
18 Comments
Barbscloud

@lydiadavis1950 You're doing great.  You're early in your quit, so be patient with yourself.  Quitting takes time physically, psychologically and emotionally.   What tools are you using?

How Long For Nicotine to Leave Your System? - EX Community

Barbscloud_0-1688219996430.jpeg

Barb

Barbara145

Wow.  That is a lot.  So happy for you they got it this time. Walk, take vitamins.  Your vascular system will need an overhaul.  Congrats on quitting smoking.  Come here everyday and at least read blogs.  That is how I made it through the jonesing for cigarettes.  Take good care of yourself.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

It appears you are finishing your second week. Congratulations.  I hope the tips and information I will provide will help as you move forward to working on that Bucket List!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can purchase a digital version online or borrow it at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. IT helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first blue box.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

Onward and Upward!

biscuit9

@lydiadavis1950   Seems to me, you have been granted another chance at life!  You are one lucky gal.  Use your tools of distraction, and remind yourself you are choosing LIFE and choosing to quit this addiction.  Remind yourself you are not giving anyting UP, you are gaining control of your life BACK.  Wishing you all the best and fill up that bucket list.  

lydiadavis1950

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. Today Tuesday, I’m back in the hospital…my doctor wanted me to check out my slurry speech, extreme tiredness  and not being able to walk w/o hold on to walls and furniture.  So here I am. 

JonesCarpeDiem

It sounds like you should be there based upon what you just described. praying for a good outcome for your situation.

Barbscloud

@lydiadavis1950 You're in the right place.  Keep us updated.

Take care.

Barb

SuzyQ411

@lydiadavis1950 

hugs are medicine.jpg

PULLING FOR YOU !!

❤️

biscuit9

@lydiadavis1950  said a prayer for you this morning.  Let's get you well and get you home.

lydiadavis1950

Thank you…I so believe in prayers.

lydiadavis1950

To SuzyQ411.  Got your hugs! Shared it with several members of my family. Some positive stuff here.   Thank you.  Need to share… I’m originally a NYC gal. Can’t help it 😋. Spent 13 years in New Mexico with my then husband of 23 years. None of my family, all were over 2,000 miles away. No friends…long story…marriage ended in divorce…. lost everything house, credit just real bad divorce. Needless to say I “ate” cigarettes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 
OMG!!! You know what I missed the most…  the hugs I wasn’t getting. I wasn’t hugged at all for over 2 years. No human contact. He was emotionally, psychologically and physically abusive. But, I found a path on how to get back to the East Coast with the clothes on my back. I was 66 years old with no hope of “what now ?” But I do know ONE THING, there is a God! He will make a way where there is no way! For sure!  AND TWO, all my family members know that I could never let go the opportunity to hug, an be hugged. And my friends and new friends know this as well. Hugs heals 😘. Thank you SuzyQ.

zipzap500

I could just cry for you.

SuzyQ411

Thinking of you @lydiadavis1950 ~ Hopefully things have worked out for you... Any updates? We would love to hear from you.. sending prayers. ❤️ 

hugs and prayer from snoopy.jpg

zipzap500

I hope your out of hospital by now. I've been out for almost 4 months now. Did 6 days for my V-Tech heartattack. 

I have had diarrhea ever since. I blame it on the new meds. I am really run down from this sickness. Doctors won't give me a prescription to stop this intestinal issue. Good luck and more to you. 2 days left of cardio class. Yippee!

SuzyQ411

@zipzap500  Wishing you the best! Such a blessing to know that you survived your heart attack!

champsin97

Speaking of bucket list and cigarette money.  I have currently saved $1,477.47.  That's a chunk of change.  It adds up fast.

SuzyQ411

@champsin97  Wonderful news that you have a good chunk of  "quit money" to reward yourself for being  one hundred and thirteen days nicotine-free!!

😊