cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Well, let's clear some things up.

Mrs.Rum
0 7 13

I love the support on this site and I certainly appreciate the different viewpoints, but I feel like I should address a few points in a comment I received the other night.  Not because I’m upset by them, not in the least, but I think they deserve further insight which might be helpful to others.

* “Residual moments” of continued thought about smoking will lead you directly to relapse. *

I’m sorry that it was taken to mean ‘continued thought’ when what I said was ‘moments’.  They weren’t lingering thoughts, they were moments of thoughts I hadn’t experienced in a while that were, no doubt, triggered by other moments I hadn’t had in a while.

*My question is why are you still thinking about it every day?*

Damned if I know.  I’d love to know this myself because it *is* getting a little old.  But every day I walk through the cloud on the sidewalk of my new work building and I have a “Hmm, I used to do that.  I’m glad I don’t anymore” thought.  That’s my general “I still think about it every day” moment. But even on days that I don’t work, smoking memories come up at least once a day.  So there you go.  I’m not at all sure why my brain hasn’t quite severed all the ties, and frankly I don’t care.  In my blog about acceptance I accepted that I didn’t know how long these things would go on and it didn’t matter.  And it doesn’t.  One day I won’t think of it once.  I just don’t know when that day is coming.

*What exactly are you thinking about - every day?  After 523 days.  Smoking?   The possibility of smoking?*

Not a chance.  Why?  Because of this:  “I just don't do anything about it.”  I do not romance it.  I do not consider it. N.O.P.E. It is not an option.  I accept the thought and allow it to pass, and then I’m on to something else.

*But I also see a blog put out there in need of help to deal with this new set of surprise cravings. *

This is incredibly sweet, but I assure everyone it wasn’t a plea for help.  When I need help I will come out and say it.  It was an observation.  No more and no less. It wasn’t even a craving to speak of.  It was a “Oh yeah, I used to smoke at car shows” and that happened a few times over the course of a couple of hours.  It was more exposure than I’d had in a long time.  I’m still in the first two seasons so I wasn’t surprised by it and I certainly wasn’t put at risk over it.

*I would say you need to still relinquish your option to smoke. *

I can’t relinquish that option because it doesn’t exist.

So there you go.  My original point was my surprise that one moment I hadn’t experienced in months could lead to others.  Others might experience that.  Those follow up moments do not mean you’re romancing it, or considering it.  Only that sometimes a surprise pops out of the wood work.  Vigilance!!!!  LOL!  (No, seriously - be vigilant.)

7 Comments
vsmith85

I'm only two weeks in, but I was under the thought that I'd probably think about it just about every day for the rest of my life. The reason for that is because I figured I smoked for 15 years, every day, at least every hour of every day. There are things that happened in my life that happened in a much shorter span of time, and while they were tramatic, they still didn't happen over such a lengthy amount of time and I still think about them every single day. So why not smoking? To me it seems like becoming fluent in another language. I may only speak this new language but I'll have the occational thought in the old language. Doesn't mean I'll speak it out loud, but I'll still think that way sometimes. But anyway that's just my thoughts. Honestly, most all my posts have at least 1 or 2 people with a bunch of advice about how to not give in and their tone seems to suggest they thing I'm about to smoke a cigarette, when thats not the case. I just think they're all trying cover base incase that might be whats happening. 

Mrs.Rum

The advice to 'take what you need and leave the rest' is sound.  And there are people who need to hear the alarm bells in case they aren't seeing what's happening - so I never worry too much about that.  (And there are people aplenty who are trying to fool themselves....)

In this case I just wanted to say that a 'moment' doesn't have to be the first step into doom, and also that even a ways down the road these things can still happen.  Ugh.

JonesCarpeDiem

it's not the thinking but the considering that's dangerous

Storm.3.1.14

You remind us that there has got to be some kind of leeway here, or else it'll become routine to scold newly quit people for simply remembering that they used to be hooked on a drug, for decades. How can someone "work through" a memory if they're warned to not remember it?

I have moments when I remember terrible things I did as a teenager, but that doesn't mean I'm doomed to go crazy and repeat them. My memories aren't mandates, and there's a difference between feeling and fixating.

Thanks for putting this out there, my friend!

Giulia

Well shut my mouth!  (grin).  I think all of those "clearing up points" made were directed to my response on your blog.  That further insight you  provide here is splendid!  As you say "a 'moment' doesn't have to be the first step into doom,"  I just responded purely from my gut.  Having just seen one member return after over a year quit, now back to square one, it urges me to do everything I can to prevent another long-term member from blowing their quit.  And I just saw red flags in your post.  My mistake.

You say:  ""My original point was my surprise that one moment I hadn’t experienced in months could lead to others. "  It's the 'leading to others' that concerns me.  But obviously you have your quit well in hand.    I'm glad my response didn't upset you.  And I'm glad you took the time to respond so in depth to my points.  I've learned from your response.  And I think others have too.  Thank you.

MarilynH

Great post, thank you

YoungAtHeart

The internet is so impersonal that I think it's easy to mistake someone's intent on both sides of a discourse.  Clearing the air is a good thing and helps us all think about how we phrase things.  I wish we had emoticons here - they, at least, might help convey our feelings.

Ladies - congratulations!  Clearing the air was helpful to us all!

Nancy